The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Default New tuning pegs

Hi. I have a inexpensive Stagg sw201 for keeping in the car at all times and it seems to survive whatever knocks and changes in temperature that anybody can throw at it.

Having messed about with saddle and nut height it turns out to be an amazing guitar and a joy to play - I really love this little thing and am astonished at the volume of sound it produces (although rather bright for my normal preferences) - it's only problem is it goes out of tune very easily (even in a stable enviroment) cos the tuners appear really poor.

So, is it easy to put new tuning pegs and could anyone recommend some I can access in the UK that wouldnt cost a fortune but are considered reliable?

Thanks, Neil.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

ASSUMING you have properly anchored each string at the tuning posts, AND ASSUMING the tuning issue is not a factor of humidity and temperature changes affecting the guitar body and strings, AND ASSUMING the strings are not old and ready for replacement, then tuners may be suspect.

I do not know the UK market, but these are sold and shipped internationally:

Grovers are good and are not at the top end of the price scale.

Gotoh makes some reasonably priced models, some more expensive.

Waverly tuners are up there in price, but excellent tuners.

If the guitar is not expensive and you wish to keep the investment down, some luthiers and guitar technicians have used sets available. A bit of a rabbit hunt though.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:21 AM

I just bought an old beat up Epiphone acoustic for the same reason, and the tuning pegs on it were pretty sloppy. I pulled them off and "adjusted" the two slots that hold the worm gear so they were nice and snug, added a drop of 3-in-1 oil and they are good to go. Better than buying something that would probably have cost more than the guitar is worth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion