The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Default Eastman E10OM Vs. Martin 000-18GE

They are both Adirondack Spruce tops and Mahogany back and sides. Both are short scale 000 models. But for the price, there is a huge difference.

In terms of playability, sound, value and over all your perceptions, how would you compare these two guitars??

Can anyone here give your feedback?

Thanks!!

Last edited by mrkpower; 07-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM

Has anyone had any experience?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Yes, yesterday as a matter of fact at Cripple, Creek Music in Ashland Oregon.

No question the Martin was a fine guitar, the neck was actually on straight and did not need a reset. Action a scrid high.

The Eastman did not have the same quality adirondack/red spruce top in terms of grain lines per inch.. somewhere around 5-6, but clear and did not appear to have any run-out.

Fit and finish was fine, however:

The so called 1 3/4 nut was spaced as if it were 1 11/16ths.
The string spacing at the bridge was 2 3/16ths... most 000's and OM's (which this claims to be) are 2 1/4- 2 3/8ths.
It is not an OM as observed by the OP, because of the short scale. Of course when I talked to Eastman last year (Eastman, not the dealer)about this they said it was their interpretation of an OM. I then asked what their interpretation of a 000 was. No answer.
This is a 000 by definition.

Back and sides appeared to be khaya, possibly sapele as was the neck.
Tuners were Gotoh
Good quality ebony fingerboard and bridge.
Decent case.

The action was quite high, well over an 1/8th at the 12th but plenty of saddle to bring it down. Also the string slots were too shallow.

It sounded great and played great, and other than the crowded string spacing at the nut and bridge and needing to be set up, a decent player.
Good tone and projection. I believe it was strung with 13's, I'd change them out for 12's, just my preference.

Good value.

If I had a budget around $1500, I'd buy the Eastman.
If I had a $3k approx budget, I would not buy the Martin, I would keep shopping, but would not rule out the Eastman.

Last edited by bohemian; 07-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM

I was in a similar position 2 years ago and bought the Eastman. The fretwork at the 12th to 14th positions was sloppy. Other than that, I was very happy. From my experience, be prepared to do a setup and possible fret work on the Eastman.

They are two different sounds. The Martin has midrange warmth that the Eastman model you are looking at doesnt. But sometimes you want that extra ring which the Eastman gives.

All things considered, the Eastman is a terrific value and will hold its own with the right setup and attention.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Yes, yesterday as a matter of fact at Cripple, Creek Music in Ashland Oregon.

No question the Martin was a fine guitar, the neck was actually on straight and did not need a reset. Action a scrid high.

The Eastman did not have the same quality adirondack/red spruce top in terms of grain lines per inch.. somewhere around 5-6, but clear and did not appear to have any run-out.

Fit and finish was fine, however:

The so called 1 3/4 nut was spaced as if it were 1 1//16ths.
The string spacing at the bridge was 2 3/16ths... most 000's and OM's (which this claims to be) are 2 1/4- 2 3/8ths.
It is not an OM as observed by the OP, and because of the short scale. Of course when I talked to Eastman last year (Eastman, not the dealer)about this they said it was their interpretation of an OM. I then asked what their interpretation of a 000 was. No answer.
This is a 000 by definition.

Back and sides appeared to be khaya, possibly sapele as was the neck.
Tuners were Gotoh
Good quality ebony fingerboard and bridge.
Decent case.

The action was quite high, well over an 1/8th at the 12th but plenty of saddle to bring it down. Also the string slots were too shallow.

It sounded great and played great, and other than the crowded string spacing at the nut and bridge and needing to be set up, a decent player.
Good tone and prpojection. I believe it was strung with 13's, I'd change them out for 12's, just my preference.

Good value.

If I had a budget around $1500, I'd buy the Eastman.
If I had a $3k approx budget, I would not buy the Martin, I would keep shopping, but would not rule out the Eastman.
The neck width is one of the things that I concern. I prefer the wider neck which Eastman seems to have narrow ones even they claim that their necks are 1 3/4 width. But for the price, it really appeals me.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM

I believe you would be very pleased with the Eastman.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 PM

I've always have been a Martin guy but my Eastman OM is amazing. I play it more than all my guitars including my Collings. I have a 00 custom Eastman on order from LA Guitar Sales and I'm going crazy with anticipation..

My Soundcloud Page

https://soundcloud.com/membler-1

'68 D18
Martin 00-28VS Maury's Music Custom
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Gold Tone AC-6 6 string banjo
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM

made in china, but good stuff
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM

I have owned them both. While the Eastman is a good bargain it is nowhere near the guitar as the Martin GE. People who claim otherwise have either deluded themselves due to the money saved or they've never owned the GE.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM

"While the Eastman is a good bargain it is nowhere near the guitar as the Martin GE. People who claim otherwise have either deluded themselves due to the money saved or they've never owned the GE. "

That is just another subjective opinion. Elitism often drives choices with detrimental results.

Deluded or enlightened ?

I owned a GE, albeit a D-18GE, and mine failed.. needing a neck reset after 6 weeks of ownership.

Forget the price and money saved and look at the guitars simply on merit of
technical specifications, materials, workmanship, playability and tone.

Sometimes good enough is great. The Eastman I played was excellent.

I have owned around 100 guitars, 14 Martins, several Gibsons... the Eastman
was a fine guitar with the bonus of affordability.

There is not doubt that Martin has a better handle on the cosmetics, but in the overall result, that is a personal judgement call.

I can only suggest trying out an Eastman.

Last edited by bohemian; 07-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM

After hearing so much about the D18GEs, I purchased one in 2010 and found it sonically average. Sounded decent at the shop, and I thought things would improve with fresh strings and setup. Maybe mine was a dud. Tried everything but ended up selling it after 6 months. I have played quite a few less expensive Martin dreads (and others) since then that I prefer. Eastman with adi top was one of them, also a 2012 D18 that was in all ways superior to my GE.

There are more great sounding, well made guitars out there than ever before (especially dreads), and you no longer need to spend as much as in years past. Rules have changed. I used to be more snobby about brands but am slowly changing as I encounter more and more gems out there from builders that I had previously under-rated.

-John
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM

Different strokes, and suit your ears not ours.

That being said my 000-18GE is my least expensive Martin and I love it, mine is now 10 years old and it sings beautifully.

Can't say about Eastman so I don't know, but I can say about 000-18GEs and I think they are worth every penny.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM

My experience with Eastman can be summarized: sounds fantastic but qc is flakey. Try before you buy.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I've been very fond of the Eastmans I've played and recently attended a show here...BUT in this case I'm goin' with Rich's take on the 000-18GE, they are saaaweeeet!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM

From my first post...." No question the Martin was a fine guitar,..."

But as with all guitars, and particularly lately with Martin..based on personal experience...QC is flakey...
"Try before you buy. "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion