The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM

Default I was the guy who posted Seagull/Martin Comparison

I am the guy who made the grevious mistake of saying i personally liked my Seagull more than I liked my Martin (Martin, of course is among the top 3 production guitars in the history of guitars, period - let's get that out there right away). Martin's are awesome, everyone should own at least one in a lifetime.

HOWEVER, lol. I live in Grand Rapids, MN, and there is a local Luthier by the name of Lloyd LaPlant who makes mostly mandolins and fiddles for Nashville stars, and i mean stars, I wish I was allowed to say whom. He makes a $3,500-$6000 instrument regardless of which it is - mandolin, fidle, guitar.

I had 3 or 4 guitars, my 'Gull (that i will always think of as my first love), my Framus (which i will also always care deeply for, lol I talk like they're people). and I traded up (along with some money, and got my very first LaPlant, which, in MN is very, uh, well between a LaPlant and a James olson (makes for Jams taylor, look for hte big "O" on James taylor;s stockpiece - he may still play a yamaha once in a blue moon).

Well, yesterday, out of friendship, buying asnd trading up all those guitrs, and a whole lot of money, he presemted me with my very own Llyod LaPlant guitar. And there'll be cynics here who say "big deal" - there always are, but if you know Lloyd, know his work, and have played a LaPlant guitar, you'd understand. I have pics but don't know how to post them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EOLuc8u5U

http://www.spiritwoodmusic.com/about...ritwoodartists
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Wow...I would love to see some pictures and hear some sound clips. I have never heard of Mr. LaPlant but I loved watching the you tube video, he seems like a great guy.

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Way Cool!

Congratulations!! Lloyd builds some beautiful instruments. I doubt one of his gems has made it into any more appreciative hands. Yours is the kind of story that making music should be about. Enjoy your guitar, I hope you have many years together.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM

Default LaPlant

Whats's ur email address, send me it in a private msg, and I'll send you pics, and also sound clips. Here's the thing tho.....Lloyd and I play in a bluegrass band together, and we work on my guitar together, and we're not putting the pickup in til next week. My mic is a vocal mic, so sound will be unflattering. Maybe ill send SOMETHING and then more when I get the pickup. I have a home studio so I'll do a tune for ya. Maybe a john prine tune or something! requests/suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl245 View Post
Wow...I would love to see some pictures and hear some sound clips. I have never heard of Mr. LaPlant but I loved watching the you tube video, he seems like a great guy.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Geez

AWE!!!! I am lucky enough to also get to play with lloyd in a bluegrass band. I'll have to share your comment with him next gig. He is an amazing mandolin player, and in fact prefers to build mando's and fiddles, excuse me, violins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
Congratulations!! Lloyd builds some beautiful instruments. I doubt one of his gems has made it into any more appreciative hands. Yours is the kind of story that making music should be about. Enjoy your guitar, I hope you have many years together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion