The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Default .11-.47 set of strings

hi ; iuse this gauge strings on both my guitars.i use Martin SP's on my Larrivee and Newtone Heritage on my Martin OM. supplies don't last long of the Newtones.i love them but have to wait too long before iget em.any other manufacturer of this gauge ,in round core? [ don't want to go to 11-50. just too heavy for some reason.thanks.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi ; iuse this gauge strings on both my guitars.i use Martin SP's on my Larrivee and Newtone Heritage on my Martin OM. supplies don't last long of the Newtones.i love them but have to wait too long before iget em.any other manufacturer of this gauge ,in round core? [ don't want to go to 11-50. just too heavy for some reason.thanks.
I use D'addario EJ15's and buy bulk .011's from Amazon to swap in. Am considering also ordering .015's for the B string but for now just doing the E string is fine.

These strings will hold intonation for a good long time and settle in quickly.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Em - this is an odd one ES, Newt Herit's are 'round core' but thats NOT why they have a softer feel - read the blurb - they are 'Low Tension' designed for use on light built or older guitars. How they achieve the 'Low Tension' is reducing the diameter of the core wire on the wound strings = less tension, nothing to do with hex vs round core.
*Note advertising wording re round vs hex core - they all say round FEELS 'more flexible' than hex - *Note they DONT say round has less tension.
If your having difficulty using 11-50's there's a few things you need to address.
1: get your guitar 'set-up' correctly.
2: hand / finger strengthening workout exersises.
3: if these fail - go nylon.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM

I have the same problem but I think Wyllys suggestion is a good one. You should try it and see. As for myself Ive tried all the low tension strings except Thomastik Infield and that doesnt save any money plus I cant imagine flat wound strings sounding my definition of good.
I have not found anything better sounding, or as good, as Heritage. Ive been using them for years. I think they last as long as any string and for me its the e and b strings that go bad first.
Buy them from Strings and Beyond and you will always get a discount. Buy 3 sets and get free shipping. That brings the cost down a lot. Ive bought them directly from Newtone and they were a little cheaper but not enough for the 6 month wait and you have to buy 6 sets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion