The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Alaska open mics

Next week I'm going to be in Anchorage 2 nights (and one early evening), Talkeetna 1 night and Healy 3 nights, any open mics (with a guitar to borrow) around?
Otherwise I'll be going 7 days without playing at all (guess the scenery will make up for it a little!)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 AM

It's been a while since I moved away, but Organic Oasis often has music and sometime songwriter circles. Located in a strip mall on Spenard Road in Anchorage near 27th. As I said it has been a few years, so hopefully Wade or someone else with more recent knowledge will contribute. There are a couple of other coffeehouse venues I could mention, but I'm not sure if they are still around.

The Talkeetna Roadhouse used to have a beat up Takamine dread that lives there (and really good food). Bring fresh strings. In Healy the Northstar Inn has a bar that also sometimes hosts music. The inn is a repurposed housing unit from the North Slope oil fields. If you happen to be in Anchorage on a Friday night, Guido's Pizza on International Airport Road at Arctic Blvd has a great ukulele group jam from 7-9 pm.

And yes, the scenery will make up for the lack of music if you don't find anything. Hope for a clear day as you drive north. You cannot actually see Denali from inside the park itself without taking an 80 mile school bus tour, but MP 127 on the Parks Highway has a great state rest area with a wonderful view. Or you can stop into the Talkeetna Princess Lodge on the right side of the highway, which also has similar great view.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Thanks, Earl. The OO is actually 2 blocks away from the AirBnB apartment we'll be staying at the first 2 nights, but they don't have any 'events' listed for Saturday nights.
Will be in Talkeetna, and already planned on hitting the Roadhouse that night. Not bringing strings, but I'll keep a pick in my pocket!

Hoping for some decent weather, but who knows. We'll be taking that long shuttle bus into the park 2 days.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Good luck with weather. Early June is often nice - rainy season typically starts later in the month -- just when most of the tourists arrive. It's uncannily reliable most years.

I've never done the entire bus ride back into Wonder Lake. Private cars can only go as far as mile 13 / Savage River during the summer, but they open the road to Alaskans as far as mile 33 / Teklanika River in September. I've flown the entire route in my Cessna, and all around the park. It is expensive, but from Talkeetna think about taking a Denali flightseeing trip. I'm a pilot and have flown Denali dozens of times, and the views are still awesome enough to impress.

The Roadhouse is family seating. Don't be shy about joining another group at the table. You meet some interesting characters that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion