The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Decision, decision

I am currently pursuing my next guitar. My Pono is gone, and my Larrivee is on the classified page (hint, hint). My goal is to ultimately settle on 2 guitars, both Martins. My D28 is staying with me, so the hunt is on for a complementary/contrasting guitar. I'm looking at a D18 but am intrigued by the CEO-7. They are both spruce topped, mahogany b/s but diverge from there. I like the smaller size of the CEO, but am comfortable with a dread.

So I'm looking for some experience based thoughts on the CEO, since I have virtually no opportunity to get one in my hands short of buying it. And especially opinion as contrasted with D18 experience would be useful. Thanks in advance.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Have really enjoyed pretty much every CEO-7 I've played. Great guitars, and pretty decent price point. Even the mod-V neck (which I'm ususally not a fan of$ works well on this one.

Most produce a sound beyond expectations- you'll enjoy it if you take the leap.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

You could go with a 000-18, but I think the CEO-7 would be a great choice because while it's still a Martin it's based on a Gibson design so it would be a completely different voice from your D-28.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM

I own a CEO-7 and love it. I also own a Larrivee Wildwood 00-09 and love it as well. I don't think one is better than the other, just different. The sound is not really all that different between them but the feel is. I think I might prefer the 12-fret feel of the the Larrivee more than the CEO-7. I would have a very hard time choosing between them. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:22 AM

I have both guitars you are thinking about, a newer D-18 and a CEO-7. Since you already have a dred, I think the CEO-7 would make the perfect compliment to it.

Different woods (adi and hog) as well as the small body size will provide a completely different playing experience from your D28. The CEO's small body makes it very comfortable and the sound is very rich and warm. The V shape neck on the CEO took a little getting used to, but now it feels great to me.

If you play some fingerstyle, the CEO is perfect for that. When I want to bash out some chords or play some bluegrass type stuff the D-18 comes out. When I'm sitting on the couch in a mellow mood late in the evening, the CEO can't be beat.

Last edited by GTRGUY005; 04-26-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Edit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion