The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 12:13 AM

Default 17 Series Martin

I've become enchanted by the 00-17 guitar based on looks and specs. I think it would be nice for me because it's got a short scale and different woods and it's smaller than my HD28, but it has the same nut width and MLO neck. And I think it looks good in black.

Does anyone here have one or has anyone played one? I haven't seen much about the 17 series in the forum. I want to play one when I go to Florida in March. Hopefully MFG will have one.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 AM

If you're talking about the vintage models, they are some of Martin's best instruments IMO.
The newer series isn't that great
Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a 00-17S 12 fret in black smoke. It is what it is but I think at it's price point it's a fun little guitar. It's certainly not anything close to the vintage 17's but I actually like it quite a lot. Try one for yourself and see what you think? I bet Jon will have some variation of it in stock...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 02-02-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:58 AM

The one I played had a funky blusey-sound. The sound was nice but not for my playing. I would certainly suggest playing one prior to purchasing as it has a unique sound. However, there have been several threads on them herein from folks who have purchased them. Search feature will reveal them.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I tried one but it didn't have the sound I was looking for. I think bluesy is a correct description.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
If you're talking about the vintage models, they are some of Martin's best instruments IMO.
The newer series isn't that great
Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I picked up a 00-17S 12 fret in black smoke. It is what it is...It's certainly not anything close to the vintage 17's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
The one I played had a funky bluesy sound...I would certainly suggest playing one prior to purchasing...
Ditto - if you gotta have that sound save your money and buy a Recording King...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion