The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2016, 09:45 AM

Default NGD - Recording King Dirty Thirties RPH-03-BK

I have been eyeing the cheap small guitar market for a while and had played the sunburst version of this (RPH-05). I enjoyed the sound but really didn't like the matte finish with the sunburst. When I saw the black one, I found it much more acceptable for some reason. I don't normally go for colored acoustics because I like seeing the wood, but this worked for me. You don't see the RPH-03 very often but it showed up on a store's website and I was able to get it new for $120. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Things that I like:
  • It does have a nice, open, loud sound. The Jim Dandy, by comparison is much more muted. The RK has a punchy midrange and I was pleasantly impressed with the low end.
  • The longer scale-length works well in dropped and open tunings.
  • The action is low and very playable.
  • The intonation is great.
  • The compensated saddle is quite tall. It has plenty of life left in it.
Things that were disappointments:
  • The peak of the headstock was pretty badly dinged and the white undercoat shows through any damage.
  • It was missing the fret dot on the 5th fret. I searched through all of the packaging, but it must have wanted to stay in China really badly.
  • It was confirmed that the matte finish is pretty loud when it rubs against your clothes.
  • The binding on the fretboard is a nice touch, but the black dots on the side are poorly executed.
  • The rosette is a decal, not inlayed.
  • The body is not bound on the top and back. I suspected it wasn't, but couldn't find any good pictures before purchasing. I believe the whole guitar is painted with a cream undercoat, then the "binding" is taped before it gets the black coat of paint. It's not super even and there are a few instances of over-spray from the black.
  • The low action that's good, means that it's not great for slide. I might tweak some stuff, but I'm not too bothered by that.
  • The 1 11/16" nut is comfortable to play, but the string spacing at the saddle is a bit tight for finger picking. Strumming is nice, though.
  • It stinks. As a music teacher, my students constantly have instruments that are still very fragrant. This is a little more "woody" than theirs, but still quite noticeable.

I know the "dislikes" list is much longer, but I'm not unhappy with the purchase at the price that I got it. If I had paid the $199 that you often see, I'd probably send it back. It sounds and plays well enough and for such a deal, I'll make it a project/experiment guitar.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 PM

Default NGD - Recording King Dirty Thirties RPH-03-BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
I have been eyeing the cheap small guitar market for a while and had played the sunburst version of this (RPH-05). I enjoyed the sound but really didn't like the matte finish with the sunburst. When I saw the black one, I found it much more acceptable for some reason. I don't normally go for colored acoustics because I like seeing the wood, but this worked for me. You don't see the RPH-03 very often but it showed up on a store's website and I was able to get it new for $120. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Things that I like:
  • It does have a nice, open, loud sound. The Jim Dandy, by comparison is much more muted. The RK has a punchy midrange and I was pleasantly impressed with the low end.
  • The longer scale-length works well in dropped and open tunings.
  • The action is low and very playable.
  • The intonation is great.
  • The compensated saddle is quite tall. It has plenty of life left in it.

Things that were disappointments:
  • The peak of the headstock was pretty badly dinged and the white undercoat shows through any damage.
  • It was missing the fret dot on the 5th fret. I searched through all of the packaging, but it must have wanted to stay in China really badly.
  • It was confirmed that the matte finish is pretty loud when it rubs against your clothes.
  • The binding on the fretboard is a nice touch, but the black dots on the side are poorly executed.
  • The rosette is a decal, not inlayed.
  • The body is not bound on the top and back. I suspected it wasn't, but couldn't find any good pictures before purchasing. I believe the whole guitar is painted with a cream undercoat, then the "binding" is taped before it gets the black coat of paint. It's not super even and there are a few instances of over-spray from the black.
  • The low action that's good, means that it's not great for slide. I might tweak some stuff, but I'm not too bothered by that.
  • The 1 11/16" nut is comfortable to play, but the string spacing at the saddle is a bit tight for finger picking. Strumming is nice, though.
  • It stinks. As a music teacher, my students constantly have instruments that are still very fragrant. This is a little more "woody" than theirs, but still quite noticeable.

I know the "dislikes" list is much longer, but I'm not unhappy with the purchase at the price that I got it. If I had paid the $199 that you often see, I'd probably send it back. It sounds and plays well enough and for such a deal, I'll make it a project/experiment guitar.

It's been a few months and I thought I'd post an update on this guitar. My initial assessment was mostly accurate, but I'd add that the sound is what I would call..."raw". A lot of midrange and a bit unfocused. Granted, this is in rotation with a Lowden and a Pono. I think it makes a really nice 2nd guitar in a mix. The other heavy-hitters can stand alone, but this does much better used to expand the tonal palette. Anyway, here are some long overdue pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 AM

Great review!
Thanks for the update.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion