The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
"While the Eastman is a good bargain it is nowhere near the guitar as the Martin GE. People who claim otherwise have either deluded themselves due to the money saved or they've never owned the GE. "

That is just another subjective opinion. Elitism often drives choices with detrimental results.

Deluded or enlightened ?

I owned a GE, albeit a D-18GE, and mine failed.. needing a neck reset after 6 weeks of ownership.

Forget the price and money saved and look at the guitars simply on merit of
technical specifications, materials, workmanship, playability and tone.

Sometimes good enough is great. The Eastman I played was excellent.

I have owned around 100 guitars, 14 Martins, several Gibsons... the Eastman
was a fine guitar with the bonus of affordability.

There is not doubt that Martin has a better handle on the cosmetics, but in the overall result, that is a personal judgement call.

I can only suggest trying out an Eastman.
i have heard almost nothing but good things about Eastman. For Martin 000-18GE, it catches many people's hearts, especially in the 000 category.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 AM

Default Waking Up The USA Makers!

I believe that the Chinese makers (and particularly Eastman) are forcing the USA makers to wake up in much the same way that Japanese auto makers did in the late 70s and 80s.

It's very good to see!

I've owned Martins and Taylors over my 40 years of playing and IMHO Eastman stands with the very best.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM

Well since this 3.5 yr. old thread just got bumped to the top, I wonder what the OP ever decided on?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I always sort of smile when I see people compare guitars to a Martin, and then add all kinds of things like:

Just as good, but needed fretwork.
Just as good but sizing was off.
Just as good once I replaced the nut.
Just as good after I fixed the bridge
Just as good but the wood isn't as nice.

I never hear those comments about Martin.

So I think if you buy something on it's own merits, that's great. But comparisons with Martin always seem to involve fixing all kinds of things to try to make it equal Martin quality, and that seems to me to be a pretty good indication it's not as good as a Martin.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 AM

Now that was fun!

A good Martin vs you-name-it romp in just 2 pages. Wish they could all be that concise
Old 02-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I always sort of smile when I see people compare guitars to a Martin, and then add all kinds of things like:

Really? I spent 6 years working in a shop that sold Martin, Guild, Gibson, Collings, Lowden, Bourgeois, and SCGC. In regard to the 5 issues you listed above, we ran into all of those problems with Gibson often, Martin and Guild occasionally, and NEVER with Collings, Bourgeois, Lowden, and SCGC.

While I truly appreciate the Martin love on this forum, I often find it is blind and deaf to reality and, sadly, rife with condescension.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Now that was fun!

A good Martin vs you-name-it romp in just 2 pages. Wish they could all be that concise
And as already pointed out by Crikey, a Zomby romp at that.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

And back to the Eastman 000/OM...
I have recently realized that I prefer the E6/8OM to the E10/20OM. The Sitka tops tends to give a certain dryness and boxiness to the tone. The red spruce tops can be more focused and have more sustain. YMMV
Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post

So I think if you buy something on it's own merits, that's great. But comparisons with Martin always seem to involve fixing all kinds of things to try to make it equal Martin quality, and that seems to me to be a pretty good indication it's not as good as a Martin.
Never huh....ok.
My only comment to that is for what they cost, that should be true.
I have no problem at all with $3000 for a Martin, but that sucker better be
near perfect.

Eastman has stepped up their game with regard to QC in the last two years. Yes,they still aren't quite there with each and every guitar. I will still put my E 10 OO SS against any mass-produced by a U.S. maker for build quality and it's made by hand. I wish everyone on here could see it in person. Someone would have to be in blind denial not to see how well it is made.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Eastman E10OM Vs. Martin 000-18GE

Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Default Adi vs Sitka vs Engleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
And back to the Eastman 000/OM...
I have recently realized that I prefer the E6/8OM to the E10/20OM. The Sitka tops tends to give a certain dryness and boxiness to the tone. The red spruce tops can be more focused and have more sustain. YMMV
I have owned guitars made with all three and I have found that the quality of each idividual piece can make a huge difference. Add to that so many other factors that come into play and you can be all over the map. I have an Eastman E8D (Sitka) that matches my E10D (Adi) for volume and beauty albeit with a deeper tone. I also enjoy my AC615 (Engleman) which also has a rich, but more middle tone. For classical guitars, I much prefer Cedar tops. I've never tried a Redwood guitar but I would love to!

I love the woods good guitars are made from as much as the sound. To me, a good guitar isn't just a means of producing art. It IS art.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campacj View Post
I have owned guitars made with all three and I have found that the quality of each idividual piece can make a huge difference. Add to that so many other factors that come into play and you can be all over the map. I have an Eastman E8D (Sitka) that matches my E10D (Adi) for volume and beauty albeit with a deeper tone. I also enjoy my AC615 (Engleman) which also has a rich, but more middle tone. For classical guitars, I much prefer Cedar tops. I've never tried a Redwood guitar but I would love to!

I love the woods good guitars are made from as much as the sound. To me, a good guitar isn't just a means of producing art. It IS art.
Yeahh and just for fun, my new Pono Slope Dread blows anything out of the water I have heard or played. Pono's proponents all agree on two commonalities: The build quality is stellar and they are cannon's!
Mine is no exception. And guess what? Hand-built by real luthiers for unbelievable prices. You just have to be prepared to wait until they make yours.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 PM

Default Pono "echo"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yeahh and just for fun, my new Pono Slope Dread blows anything out of the water I have heard or played. Pono's proponents all agree on two commonalities: The build quality is stellar and they are cannon's!
Mine is no exception. And guess what? Hand-built by real luthiers for unbelievable prices. You just have to be prepared to wait until they make yours.
Well said Rok...

I've been a dedicated Pono advocate for 3-4 years now. I kind of set the "quality level" of my guitar ownership at small shop/ boutique luthier-built instruments and Pono fulfills (and sometimes exceeds) that quality level beautifully.
For a long time I couldn't find the chance to play an Eastman guitar and I was very curious. Last summer I moved house and found a good Eastman dealer in the new vicinity. Played a number of Eastman (Dread, OM, and OO) and finally bought an EOM10 with beautiful beeswing mahogany back/ sides. I even did a NGD thread here "comparing" (in a very loose sense) the E10OM and the Pono OM30.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...49#post5152449

I must admit I have not touched the E10OM since posting that thread...

Sorry a bit off track to this vintage thread...

Pip

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion