The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Medium strings and nut Slot Depth Martin 000-18

So, I decided to try PB Mediums on my new model 000-18 tuned down 1/2 step. I had previously liked the PB lights I had on there tuned down 1/2 step and liked the tone, the playablility and had no issues with the relief or action.
I thought, well if lights are good, then maybe mediums would be even better. After all mediums tuned down 1/2 step have the same tension as lights at standard tuning. Well, 2 things. One, I'm not sure if the nut slots are deep enough to handle the mediums, and I'm not sure how to tell? The wound strings look like they could stand to be deeper? They tune up ok and there isn't any slippage. Second, it seems like the ease of playing I was enjoying with the lights isn't there so much with mediums. In fact the ease of play with lights at standard tuning seemed easier than the mediums at 1/2 step down. And , to my ears, I'm not hearing much of a benefit to going with mediums and since I like to fingerpick 1/2 the time I am not getting the tone I was before switching if that makes any sense.
Would having the nut slot cut for mediums make a difference?
Would having the nut slot cut for mediums screw up going back to lights?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
So, I decided to try PB Mediums on my new model 000-18 tuned down 1/2 step. I had previously liked the PB lights I had on there tuned down 1/2 step and liked the tone, the playablility and had no issues with the relief or action.
I thought, well if lights are good, then maybe mediums would be even better. After all mediums tuned down 1/2 step have the same tension as lights at standard tuning. Well, 2 things. One, I'm not sure if the nut slots are deep enough to handle the mediums, and I'm not sure how to tell? The wound strings look like they could stand to be deeper? They tune up ok and there isn't any slippage. Second, it seems like the ease of playing I was enjoying with the lights isn't there so much with mediums. In fact the ease of play with lights at standard tuning seemed easier than the mediums at 1/2 step down. And , to my ears, I'm not hearing much of a benefit to going with mediums and since I like to fingerpick 1/2 the time I am not getting the tone I was before switching if that makes any sense.
Would having the nut slot cut for mediums make a difference?
Would having the nut slot cut for mediums screw up going back to lights?
I would not play about with the nut slots unless you are proficient in doing so, take it to a good repair shop. I did what you are proposing and ended up with buzzing all over. Sounds to me that you need to stick to lights.

I use Newtone Strings - Low tension - they are fantastic, try them out.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 PM

I have rarely found that heavier strings sound better. They might be louder, let you play harder, but I always lose tone quality. Tuning down can bring that back. I have one guitar that just comes to life if I put bluegrass strings on it - .012 - .056 - and tune down a whole tone to D - D.

There is something I am learning about called "inharmonicity". This is the nature of strings to have their upper harmonics go seriously out of tune if the string is too heavy, too short or is too stiff. I hear this on the low E string all the time, and always find that lowering it's tension helps with tonal clarity up the neck (I play up the neck a whole lot more than in first position). The string stops ringing like it does with an open string. Play a G on the low E string 15th fret, and the same G third string open, same note, they sound quite different. I think this might be the inharmonicity that I am hearing.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I tune all my guitars a half step down and use mediums and it would be unusual for the slots not to fit mediums. But, you can post a pic if you're not sure. Strings should not be hidden all the way in the slots, but a good portion should come up above the nut.

IMO, mediums are helpful when tuning down. Otherwise, you end up with a twangy, annoying trebles and floppy, poorly intonated bass. Mediums 1/2 step down are similar to med/light at standard, tension-wise.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Curmudgeon

The nut slots should be deep enough. The problem is that they are most likely not wide enough. If the guitar was set up for light strings originally, files gauged for light strings were most likely used. This would cause the strings to sit higher in the slots without touching bottom.

When I adjust nut slots I always use files gaged for mediums. That way I can use lights or mediums. There is no problem going back to lights.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml View Post
The nut slots should be deep enough. The problem is that they are most likely not wide enough. If the guitar was set up for light strings originally, files gauged for light strings were most likely used. This would cause the strings to sit higher in the slots without touching bottom.

When I adjust nut slots I always use files gaged for mediums. That way I can use lights or mediums. There is no problem going back to lights.
So, what are the consequences of the slots not being wide enough? What effect would that have?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 PM

There is only one correct nut height and it is measured from the bottom of the string - whatever gauge - to the top of the fret.

As others mentioned - IF the slots are so narrow that a medium string does not bottom out in the slot the way the light string does - DO NOT MAKE THE SLOT DEEPER!!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:45 PM

After careful consideration and listening to the advise here as well as playing my guitar for a few more hours, I have decided to go back to lights. Lights just seem to bring out the best in this particular guitar.
Thanks all for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion