The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 AM
JustAcoustic

Default omjm or ooo28ec make sure you pick the right one

I would like to share my experience I had when first got the omjm and then part x it for the ooo28ec . First of all before I got the omjm I looked at a lot of reviews and thought this ticked all the boxes and before I bought it I played it for a good while how wrong was I, as I play a lot finger style but like to flat pick and basic strumming the way it was reviewed looked good the flat pick and strumming not bad but the finger style no, and the main problem was the nut width and the string space 1. 11/16th at the nut 2 1/8 string space was just a bit tight for me when I first played it seemed ok but as time went on and some of the stuff I was trying I found I was catching and buzzing some of the none fretted strings and the right hand was quite clumbersome. So I bit the bullet and moved it on and went for the ooo28ec which for me ticks most of the boxes with 1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 string space it wins hands up for finger style. As the omjm was pre-owned when I bought it I got most of my money back with a good deal on the ooo28ec. These are both great martin guitars but for me for the price of the omjm does not bring a lot to the table . I would like to know if anybody else has gone through this experience .

Last edited by JustAcoustic; 02-02-2017 at 04:07 AM. Reason: change 11/16 to 1 ,11/16
Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 AM

I would say this is a very typical experience. I too have spent time playing guitars in the store that seemed to be a good match for me, but the real test was getting it home and spending a day or two to really get to know the guitar. Some worked out and some didn't. Sometimes I was lucky enough to find out within the return period, but often I found out later and had to sell the guitar. This is all part of the journey of playing/buying guitars!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
I would say this is a very typical experience. I too have spent time playing guitars in the store that seemed to be a good match for me, but the real test was getting it home and spending a day or two to really get to know the guitar. Some worked out and some didn't. Sometimes I was lucky enough to find out within the return period, but often I found out later and had to sell the guitar. This is all part of the journey of playing/buying guitars!
This. This is why we offer a 14-day trial period. 2-3 days isn't enough and the last thing anyone wants it for a new guitar to be on the used market 4 days later.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03 AM

It happens. You don't bond with every guitar, even ones that impress you initially. Now you know better what string spacing and neck dimensions work for you, and which don't.

While we are at it, Brian, let me donate some free punctuation and paragraph breaks for enhanced readability. !@#$%^&^*()_+"/?"
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Brian, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
It is indeed. A few years before I picked up the Martin brand, I noticed a new 000-42 at the local GC. As usual when shopping at GC, I asked my sales rep if the guitar has been on any 30-day trial periods where things could get compromised, and I was assured that it has not been sold before. So I bought it, and took it home. After a few months I realized that it was almost identical to my 000-28EC, and although I love the 42 series inlays, I already had an OM-42 so I decided to sell the guitar. My rep actually offered to take it back even though I was well past the 30 day trial period, but I didn't think it was right for someone to get a "new" guitar that I've been playing for a few months, so I listed it on our pre-owned section.

Bottom line, there is no way to know if a guitar will work out in the long run, and while longer trial periods seem to be the answer, how long is too long?

Here is a poll I started about this last year. As you can see, the members here would rather not buy a guitar sold as new that has been in someone's home for weeks on end.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=381953

Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 PM
JustAcoustic

thanks for your reply, yess but after having bought Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Guilds and part exchanges etc its starts too get a little bit expensive with guitars in this price range. after playing for over 20 years you would think I would have learnt by now.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM
JustAcoustic

THANKS for the reply . YES mate sorry punctuation etc is not my strong point but most people seem to decipher it .
Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Taylor View Post
THANKS for the reply . YES mate sorry punctuation etc is not my strong point but most people seem to decipher it .
Are you the Brian Taylor that played Australian Rules football here in Australia?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 PM
JustAcoustic

thanks for the reply . ooo42 sounds good to me maybe one day .
Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM

I chose the EC over other models for the same reason.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion