The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Finding a guitar teacher

I know there are a bunch of guitar teachers here, so I thought I'd ask how people find you. My "local" stores are all an hour or more away (as are their recommended teachers), and Google and CL seem focused on youth (understandably), electric (again understandable), etc.

So how can I find a good acoustic guitar teacher?
Voyage Air VAOM-02
Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I would contact those youth and electric teachers. If they have a degree in music education, they would probably welcome the opportunity to teach something different. If not, they probably know someone else who could help you.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Finding a guitar teacher

CaptJack
I'm in northern VA and searched Google for teachers - then doubled checked those names against Craigslist. The teacher I selected gigs in local restaurants etc so I listened one night - I've been with him about a year now! Good luck in your search -- BTW I was 69 just about to turn 70 when I began!!!

Sharing halves your sorrows and doubles your joys!

2013 Taylor 314ce ("Cecelia" = patron saint of musicians)
1997 Taylor 414ce ("Winnie" - for my Mom)
Zager ZAD-50ce ("Tommy" - my stepbrother KIA Viet Nam)
Ibanez AM73B-TF
Seagull S6 Original ("Herbie," my Dad)
Martin X Series GCPX2AE
Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 PM

A good teacher is worth his weight in gold, but there is no one teacher that is the end all be all. There's nothing wrong with trying a teacher out for a few lessons and moving on if it's not working for you. It's like dating - you don't have to marry the first girl you go out with. A true student of the instrument learns from a variety of sources; a teacher is only one source, that you're with an hour a week at best. Kind of takes the pressure off finding the "perfect" teacher.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion