The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 AM

Default Lefthanded guitar questions

My Grandson shows some interest and I wondered if other than turning nut, saddle and pickguard around is that the only difference. I am thinking bracing is same for all ....or not. Thanks for any input jt
Old 10-15-2015, 07:39 AM

Go grandson!

On X braced guitars the tone bars (diagonal braces across the body between bridge and end of guitar) will be "backwards" when flipped but they don't contribute too much to tone.

Higher end builders sometimes scallop X braces differently on treble vs bass side and some thickness tops differently on the lower bouts of treble vs bass sides. But these are second order controls on the tone that not everyone could probably hear.

Have fun!

Sam
Old 10-15-2015, 09:06 AM

I've heard from one builder that the bracing is reversed in a left handed guitar compared to a right handed. I presumed it was due to different stresses on the guitar from bass and treble strings.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:11 AM

If you want to convert a nice guitar you have to give to him, you could do so, but it would involve a new bridge, saddle, nut and moving pickguard. Pretty costly. And as others have mentioned if its really nice, it may be braced slightly different for righty, so the the change may affect tone slightly. If he is just showing interest probably better to just buy a lefty to get him started on. Then think about converting a nice guitar for him if he sticks with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwine View Post
My Grandson shows some interest and I wondered if other than turning nut, saddle and pickguard around is that the only difference. I am thinking bracing is same for all ....or not. Thanks for any input jt
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwine View Post
Hi Jt
To do it properly so it plays in tune with itself, the saddle slot needs to be filled & recut to the opposite angle. Flip the nut around, and our not.

My gigging partner has a lefty Strat he converted to conventional and he left the Pick-guard and electronics unchanged. People other than guitarists don't even notice.

Braving works without revision on Acoustic Flips.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM

There's no such thing as a bass or treble side on the guitar top. Changing the strings from righty to lefty without altering the bracing won't have any impact on the tone.

Nut, saddle, sidemarkers, pickguard, (cut-away, bevel, wedge, fanfrets) - that's it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion