The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Finally Played a Waterloo (X-Braced/T-Bar) -- And I loved it!

Got to play a Waterloo at Umanov's in NYC for the first time today. They had 2 in stock... both x-braced models. The one in black with white pickguard had the adjustable truss rod, while the sunburst model had the T-Bar. Both had the standard neck (they can be ordered with a 'slightly' smaller neck). Shockingly lightweight... I'd be surprised if these things weigh 3 lbs.

I preferred the T-Bar one... had more bass and felt more open sounding. The black truss-rod guitar had virtually no bass but had more midrange and more shimmer. Both were responsive and loud for a 00.

The neck profile was fantastic. I was really surprised as I'd been led to believe these necks were huge. Not so at all, and in fact the Waterloo neck is smaller than the necks on the OM-18 and OM-28 Authentics, which are both smaller than the neck on the D-28 Authentic 1937. Perhaps the short scale aids in that perception. I also observed that the neck on the truss-rod model was very v-shaped, while the one with the T-Bar neck was more rounded. Not sure if that's typical model to model variation, or intended that way depending on the neck type you choose. Either way, it was very easy to flatpick and the neck well suited to my hand and how I hold the guitar and play.

These little guitars were built for old time and bluegrass. Just Google "Waterloo WL-14X Music Emporium" and listen to the one Molly Tuttle plays 'Angeline the Baker' on... they sound just like that.

Bottom line...I loved it. Check one out if you haven't!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion