The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Has anyone heard of Harley Benton guitars?

I know this is an acoustic guitar forum but just curious if you've heard of Harley Benton. They make mostly electrics but also have a line of acoustics.

They're sold through Thomann, a German instrument company. They have a line made for them called Harley Benton. They've gotten great YT reviews (which doesn't always prove true), but are super knockoffs of Fender, Gibson, etc. Perhaps their price is their selling point?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post
I know this is an acoustic guitar forum but just curious if you've heard of Harley Benton. They make mostly electrics but also have a line of acoustics.

They're sold through Thomann, a German instrument company. They have a line made for them called Harley Benton. They've gotten great YT reviews (which doesn't always prove true), but are super knockoffs of Fender, Gibson, etc. Perhaps their price is their selling point?
played the les paul version not bad but you get what you pay for with a Harley
again its all about the price
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 PM

I haven’t tried any of their acoustics but have a Tele copy. It weighed a ton but I swapped the body for another. Other than the weight I was pretty happy with it. I think the hardware and pickups were better than the price point
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 AM

I have a Rickenbacker-inspired 12-string HB. Decent guitar for the money. I've not read or heard anything about their acoustics. If I was looking for a budget acoustic, I'd stick with something I can play before buying... Yamaha, Washburn, Alvarez, Recording King... pretty long list of very solid guitars in that $300 and under range. You can usually pick up a 700 series Yamaha for $200, and they are consistently good. Who knows what you would get from HB for that money...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:03 PM

This the Thoman "store brand".
Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Yes they are praised on YouTube, but who knows who actually paid for the guitar on that video? If you get what I'm saying.

My hesitation is if I don't like it, I'd presumably have to mail the guitar back to Germany (as that is where Thoman is based) to get a refund. By the time that's done, how much of a refund would I get? They're built to a price, not that you can't get quality at that price - but you get much less of it.

I'd rather buy a $150 guitar from Musician's Friend if I have to order online, or buy it locally.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:06 PM

They make some decent basses, like the OP said Fender copies.

I’ve heard good things about them, and seen some ridiculously cheap prices online.

But like all lower end electrics, the frets might not be polished highly, leveled or crowned well. Ends might not be rolled.

But the area most lacking, and easiest to upgrade, are the electronics. Full sized pots, better pickups, output jack can all be swapped in without much trouble if you can use a soldering iron.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 AM

they're awful guitars with lousy quality control. someone is paying for postive those reviews on YouTube. the only good thing about them is they're cheap
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post

They're about the same quality as Rondo guitars, and that's a step below Xaviere. They're cheap, and as mentioned, quality control is dodgy. You might get a perfectly fine guitar or you might get one with sharp fret edges, a fret not properly seated, finish imperfections, or any number of issues that may have to be addressed. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

Here's the part I dislike most about both the Benton and Rondo lines. If you later decide you want to upgrade the neck, there's no guarantee the bolt holes will line up with a fender style neck. For that reason, I stay away from both brands. If you want a cheap electric, Xaviere is a better bet.

They also have a line of acoustics. I've never played one so I can't vouch for anything there. But for the same money you can get an Alvarez or a Yamaha and probably be happier.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Looks like there are mixed reviews here. I've never played one but I've followed many Youtube videos over the past year on their Gibson electrics. It's always been "great for the price" but you wouldn't confuse it with a real Gibson. I wish I could try one.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 AM

I bought 5 guitars from them. Two of the teles was great but heavy (after this they changed the pickups from well known wilkinsons to unknown rosewell). A nylon string hybrid (flawless but not a mishmash construction). A strat and a tele I just sent back.
They are ok guitars but it's to much hassle living on the other side of the pond.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 AM

I have one.
Under £200; sitka spruce over walnut, maple binding on body and neck, enough abalone to cause an extinction, slot head, 14-fret OOO size and it doesn't sound bad at all-ok it's no Collings but I usually have it tuned to open D for slide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0b3ZzlRRQs
Old 10-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral View Post
they're awful guitars with lousy quality control. someone is paying for postive those reviews on YouTube. the only good thing about them is they're cheap
I wish they were paying for positive reviews because I'd be rich by now. After many years of dealing with thomanns the only thing that had to be returned was a mesa boogie powerhouse 15" bass cab.no doubt there's gonna be a few dogs that get sent out but its the same with gibson,martin,taylor etc.their acoustics are as someone pointed out "good for the price" but then you cant drink champagne at beer prices.PSi've probably bought about 20 or so of their guitars and basses and although they haven't always been what i was expecting,they have never disappointed and the two HB CLD 15Ms that i have recently bought punch well above their weight.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM

If I were buying a bass or Strat type guitar I'd have no problem going for Harley Benton. At some point I'll want a fretless bass and they would probably be the ones I'd buy from. As noted, HB is the house brand of Thomann, who has a pretty good repuation. A couple folks on the bass foru are happy with their HBs... But acoustics... a different story, whether it be a HB, Taylor, Martin, Gibson or any other brand. If at all possible never buy an acoustic you can't play first. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

If they are bad as Harley Davidson, then they're probably best used as fire wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion