The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 07:24 AM

I put the pin back in its hole after I remove the old string's ball end. A convenient place to keep it. And it's where I needed it when I want to seat the new string.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:44 AM

I now have a project for this summer. Find a piece of wood. Sand it down and make it smooth, and voilá, I will have a pinholder. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-18-2024, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I just set my bridge pins on my work bench pad in the order they come off the guitar. That way I get them back in the same hole they came out of.

I guess if I had a pin holder that I would use it.
My feelings exactly.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-18-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Same here. Cool pin holder and all. It's classy.

In a sentence or two, who can tell me what difference it makes to put pins back into the holes they came from?
It depends on the guitar you're changing strings on. The pin's tapered shaft can vary a bit, and pins that have been closely reamed for good fit may not seat properly (with the pin protruding slightly), or worse yet, may not seat securely in the pin hole if they don't get put back in the holes they were reamed for.

The pins that don't seat well can allow the ball end to pull back through the bridge plate. The ball end may not come completely out, but the edge of the hole eventually wears to the point that the string will no longer lodge against the bottom of the bridge plate. Then it's time for an expensive repair.

Some guitars it doesn't matter on, but it's SO much simpler to place each pin in its respective hole after each ball end is removed. The bridge works fine as it's own pin holder, so you don't even have to hunt up your "pin holding helper".

It's such a small effort to prevent possible eventual damage that you may not even realize is happening. I wish more "owner's manuals" would spell this out for newbies.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I put the pin back in its hole after I remove the old string's ball end. A convenient place to keep it. And it's where I needed it when I want to seat the new string.
This. Many times over!

A guitar comes equipped with it's own pin holder!
Old 04-18-2024, 09:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
This. Many times over!

A guitar comes equipped with it's own pin holder!
I usually clean the guitar too when I'm changing it's strings so I'm moving it around a bit, turning it this way and that.

If I put the pins back in the bridge to hold them prior to installing strings they'd most likely fall out during my cleaning routine and end up in the universal black hole that collects picks and socks.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-18-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Great Idea! I have an ebony bridge kicking around somewhere…
Old 04-18-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I have a pick box my wife got me several years ago that I drilled holes in and use for bridge pins when I'm changing strings. Works fine and serves its primary purpose of holding picks too.

0-1 by Ray, on Flickr

0 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray
Old 04-18-2024, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

When I first changed out the strings on an OM Max Spohn built for me, I discovered that he had etched the pin hole designation on each. That is real attention to detail - where it does not show. Of course, they disappear just as easy...

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pin Shot.jpg (71.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-18-2024, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Yours is classier than mine - a scrap of pine with 6 holes drilled into it. And E written on one end and e on the other.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I usually clean the guitar too when I'm changing it's strings so I'm moving it around a bit, turning it this way and that.

If I put the pins back in the bridge to hold them prior to installing strings they'd most likely fall out during my cleaning routine and end up in the universal black hole that collects picks and socks.
If pins don't fit snug enough for them to stay solidly in place then it's a very good indication that the pins do not mate with a good taper-fitted pin hole.

It should not require the string ball end to put pressure against the pin shaft to hold it in place. Over time that's exactly what causes bridge plate failure. It may take a long time for that to happen, but some guitars develop problems more quickly, like the pins dislodging from the pressure being exerted on them by the ball ends.

I'm not trying to be doomsday, just saying that a properly fitted pin should stay in place without the need for string pressure.

Martin has even determined that fitting pins isn't even necessary on most of their guitars. Tapered bridge pin stuck in a straight drilled hole. I won't comment on that.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:06 PM

Very cool. You should sell those.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion