The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin 15's

I was at Sam Ash the other night and just picked up a brand spakin' new Martin ooo-15. It was a really really good guitar. I "almost" fell in love with it there..and I really loved the price..and the open backed tuners...and THE SMELL!!!...I've also noticed that they don't come up for sale used very often...Can some of you on the forum who have one help talk me into trading my Taylor for one....I really love the look...just wished they were gloss finished...that's all I don't like!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM

I own a Martin 000-15 and used it as my primary axe to record my debut album. I also play it out live a lot and get compliments on my tone. It has a more "woody" and "Americana" tone, as opposed to the Taylor, and well balanced for fingerstyle. If you want to listen to audio clips of the Martin 000-15 you can check out http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/SteveHung
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Your Taylor will sound (as you probably already know) much different, if you are referring to the Sitka/Maple one in your signature line.

I've had a Martin 000-15S slothead/12 fretter in my possession for a while, and they are unique in sound and playability. I think it's great for fingerstyle, with simple balanced tones that don't have the complexity of a rosewood (or maple) guitar.

Why not keep your Taylor and spring for a new one? Guilt free addiction!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I really loved the price..and the open backed tuners...
I didn't know this model had open-backed tuners... ???
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post
Your Taylor will sound (as you probably already know) much different, if you are referring to the Sitka/Maple one in your signature line.

I've had a Martin 000-15S slothead/12 fretter in my possession for a while, and they are unique in sound and playability. I think it's great for fingerstyle, with simple balanced tones that don't have the complexity of a rosewood (or maple) guitar.

Why not keep your Taylor and spring for a new one? Guilt free addiction!
I like the way you think...(are you married?)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 AM

i have had my D-15m for a while now and love it. I tried other body sizes and liked them all, very different from a Taylor not better just different if that all hog tone speaks to you I say go for it. As for the satin finish I personally like it and often wonder if it was gloss would it sound the same or as good!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM

well i have one of the om-15's from agf sponsor ted at LA guitar.i think it
sounds really good but i realize that all hog sound might not be for everyone.
here is a quick pic of mine

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I like the way you think...(are you married?)
Yes - I support her addictions (horses, barn, pasture, fencing - all in the last year) and she supports mine.....I think she's getting the better deal!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

I had a D15S for a couple of years. My main complaint was it's lack of volume, besides the barn door pick up, which I had installed in it? 8>( HawHawHaw!

Don
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

I love my 000-15 for fingerstyle, sound great for blues and other stuff too. I have a D-15, too, and play it in DADGAD and it really booms. Fantastic guitars and they make me wonder why anyone needs binding or a shiny finish.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post

I agree. I've had my 000-15M for about 6 months now and it's a superb fingerstyle guitar, in my view. It's a very responsive guitar with an "edge" to the treble notes that give great clarity. However, for me, this same "edge" is a minus when it comes to strumming because I find myself wanting it to sound a bit more mellow. This is not such a big deal in my case since most of what I do is fingerstyle and I have two other acoustics that I can strum on multitrack recordings. But for someone who wants a rich, bassy sound for strumming, I'd advise looking elsewhere.

Oh yes, and it's a fabulously comfortable guitar to play. Then again, 1 11/16" nut widths are my ideal.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Although I am pretty new to guitar playing and do not know the specs of every guitar out there I just bought a 000 D15M and love it so far. I played what I could find in the sub $1500 range and loved the D15M the best. Liked the 000 size because it is different than the Washburn dread I have already.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM

I have had a 000-15 for a couple of years. I love it, it's my favorite and that's saying something because I play fingerstyle only and have an OM-21 Special that is much better suited to that. And about three times the price! The 15 is just so cuddly. I can't watch tv without it.

Bob
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 AM

I am currently awaiting the delivery of my 000-15M, direct from the Martin factory. I pre-ordered it some time ago & have been waiting in anticipation for it's arrival! It's due in 5 weeks now so It's probably being made right at this moment! I bought it primarily for fingerstyle as, for the moment, i have an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M as my strummer. I can't wait!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM

I love the 15 series guitars...definitely worth having. It would be hard to recommend trading the Taylor, since they are so different. Keep them both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion