The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Thinking of buying a Taylor, questions....

Last time I went guitar shopping, to get a 2nd guitar,I didn't get a Taylor. I only had enough for a 210-214, and its not that I didn't like them, but I wanted something different,sound wise, from what I already had (bought a Martin D16GT).

I REALLY liked the 314ce and 414ce.

Well, just like the post says I'm thinking of getting a Taylor, but I have some questions.

-If I go used, is there a big difference in the revoiced models vs. non
revoiced?
-ES vs. Fishman?
-What about the neck? I watched the NT video are pre NT necks ok?
And what's up with the Jointed headstock thing?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 AM

In my opinion,

-If I go used, is there a big difference in the revoiced models vs. non
revoiced?

Yes, there will be a difference. Particularly in the bass department. You'll experience better bass reponse with the revoiced models. But they do retain taylor's signature brightness. There may be a difference but I would say it wouldn't bother me that much. The pre-revoiced taylors sounds great too...

-ES vs. Fishman?

This is Highly debatable but I'll go with ES for this one...

-What about the neck? I watched the NT video are pre NT necks ok?And what's up with the Jointed headstock thing?

Pre-NT necks are definitely fine for me... I seem to like the one piece necks better. The NT necks will have finger joints at the headstock area.

2006 514ce
1998 Yamaha APX 6A
Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 AM

Why do the NT necks have finger joints at the headstock?

Tried to search, couldn,t really find any answers?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
Why do the NT necks have finger joints at the headstock?

Tried to search, couldn,t really find any answers?
Here's a quote from Taylor's website on the finger joint:
The NT design incorporates a finger joint attachment between the peghead and the neck shaft. From a production standpoint, this method yields significantly less waste. From a player's standpoint, the finger joint adds strength to what is a potentially vulnerable area of the guitar.

For more information, here's the NT neck page on Taylor's site:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/ntneck/
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

Last edited by aschroeder; 05-11-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:55 AM

I've always been under the impression that the finger joint headstock is just easier to mass produce. I may be wrong on this one, but it certainly doesn't add any "aesthetic" value. I've also heard that the finger joint headstock is as strong or stronger than a one piece headstock.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

If you watch the neck video, you'll see them do a test of the fingerjointed neck vs a non-fingerjointed neck. The fingerjointed neck doesn't break nearly as fast (under pressure) as the one-piece neck.

I was skeptical about this too since you would think a jointed neck should be weaker, but it's not.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other because I don't subject my guitars to that kind of abuse, but it's nice to know it's a strong neck.

As for aesthetics, perhaps the joint does look a little weird, but I don't care. Nobody sees it unless I turn my back to them while playing and show them the neck joint.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:18 AM

okay, that answers the neck questions. Thanks

How can I tell if it's a revoiced model? Especially if I get one at a local store here. You know even though it's new, it may be a year or so old?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:28 AM

Personally, I'd go with what my ears like, rather than whether someone says a guitar has been revoiced or not. I've heard some revoiced Taylors that I liked, but I've probably heard even more that I liked that weren't revoiced.

That's good, because I've forgotten how to tell whether one has been revoiced or not.

cotten
Old 05-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
Personally, I'd go with what my ears like, rather than whether someone says a guitar has been revoiced or not. I've heard some revoiced Taylors that I liked, but I've probably heard even more that I liked that weren't revoiced.

That's good, because I've forgotten how to tell whether one has been revoiced or not.

cotten
Yeah. I do agree. The reason I asked about knowing if it was a revoiced or not- just knowing what I'm getting.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM

The revoiced guitars started in Feb. of this year, thus they have serial numbers starting with 200602xxxxx (I think). You can also look inside the guitar and look for the groove around the perimeter of the top or look at the bracing. Of course, this assumes you know what you're looking for LOL.

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks "Phil"

How do you like your 314ce?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Me

Susan,
I've owned several Taylors -
710CE Fishman EIR/cedar, 314CE ES maple/sitka, 414CE ES rosewood/sitka, 714 ES coco/sitka, 812C -B-Band coco/cedar. The 710CE was the only pre-NT neck. I never noticed a difference in necks. Re-voicing makes a real big difference in the X12 series, it is much more subtle in the X14s and X10s. I wouldn't be too concerned about it for a X14

The best way to tell if it is re-voiced is to look at where the X-brace intersects. On re-voiced models, it is much closer to the sound hole.

The 314 are nice. If you are looking to get one used, Taylor does special editions and use different woods. I thinks last year they used koa. My 314 was maple. My favorite would be the 710, then the 314. Yes, the 314s are nice guitars.

Here is a 2000 314 in koa.

Here is a 2003 414 in rosewood.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder
Here's a quote from Taylor's website on the finger joint:
The NT design incorporates a finger joint attachment between the peghead and the neck shaft. From a production standpoint, this method yields significantly less waste. From a player's standpoint, the finger joint adds strength to what is a potentially vulnerable area of the guitar.

For more information, here's the NT neck page on Taylor's site:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/ntneck/
I am taking my 68 Gibson LG-1 to a luthier tomorrow because it's skinny little neck (k)racked twice right in this "vulnerable area".

If this had had a NT neck, would it have (k)racked there so readily? More to the point, would it have made it easier to fix??

Sorry for the spelling above...my cybersitter software won't allow me to type certain words, lol.
2006 Taylor 310
2007 Kronbauer Mini-Jumbo
2006 Taylor GS-5 (sold)
Stewart Stowaway Strat (traveler)
2008 Fender Am. Std. Strat
2013 Taylor 814ce
Old 05-12-2006, 05:17 PM

I have a 94 815c and I am very happy with the voicing it has excellent bass response along with that signature Taylor sound. Played alot of Guitars before making a cash layout of this size (first $2000 + retail guitar). I didnt pay that for mine because I bought it used and You might want to consider looking that way, If your careful it gives you alot more buying power for your dollar.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowspace90
If this had had a NT neck, would it have (k)racked there so readily?
There is really no way to know. The break test Taylor did was straight and relatively slow. Most real world guitar neck breaks and cracks are pretty fast and not often straight on.

Quote:
More to the point, would it have made it easier to fix?
No. It would be easier to replace the neck because it is a bolt on - no glue to steam until soft. Repair of a crack is identical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion