The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Vote for your all time favorite vintage acoustic

Okay. We all search for that very special vintage acoustic guitar with killer tone. Yet, unlike other antiques made of wood (furniture for instance from the 1700s, 1800s and early 1900s) there is a very limited era when the truly great guitars were manufactured. Seems to me to be 1930s through the 60s. Let's vote for our favorite vintage acoustic and say why it's soooo good.
HAPPY LABOR DAY to all the workers of the world. michael s.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Oh that's not true...if anything guitar manufacturing is better now than it's ever been!

Not to say the vintage pieces can't be appreciated, but let's be realistic here!

Anyways, I'd probably say the best vintage flattop I've played was an old Gibson-made Recording King. Sorta resembled a J-45 if I remember right. It was awesome. Circa '30s I believe. Equally great from a tonal standpoint as it is from a historical standpoint.

I own my "favourite" vintage jazzbox that I've come across...not necessarily the "best", but this one was far more attractive on my wallet.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

I have a Gibson custom shop re-issue of a 1938 Advanced Jumbo made from the same choice of materials (Braz RW and Adi top). If the original sounded anything like this guitar, it was pretty nice.

Regards, Glenn
Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 PM

Default Wish I Had it now!

My speech teacher in college (1970-1974) had a 1945 Martin D-18, repaired crack from sound hole down to the bridge, worn finish in places, some dings, had seen a lot of playing. He wanted $300 for it. I was a college student and didn't have two nickels to rub together but still kick myself black and blue for not finding a way to get the money.

It had that big solid Dreadnaught Martin sound, a real boomer. He played in a pick-up Bluegrass band there in California and that guitar cut through all the instruments. Can't imagine what it would sound like today.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Yamaha FG 300 Circa 68-76. The 68-71's have MOP overlay "YAMAHA" the newer ones are silk screened gold letters.
It's a"Lawsuit" Hummingbird. Great tone out of everyone I have played. They have a independent saddle system I was told they copied off of Gibson. Man did they do it right.

It's an obtainable classic. There is always 10 of them on eBay. Watch the necks!
I love the old Parlors. I dig the age, the look. Not one has made a "angel" tone that has grabbed me.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 AM

I agreee some fantastic guitars are being made now especially the reproductions from Martin, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois and others using hide glue and vintage bracing, but the benchmarks are still the D-18's and 28's from the 30's and early 40's.

As I gain appreciation for the OM's (a concession to getting older) give me a 1930 OM-45 Deluxe, they made just 30 and they are strong six figure guitars.

Hopefully in 2084 when my 2005 OM-45 Tazmanian Blackwood is 79 years old it will sound as good, unfortunately I will be 135 years old and probably back to being a rock drummer by then...............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 AM

I played a late 30's Gibson J-35 a few years ago that's the best sounding flat top I ever heard.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:16 AM

I'm not overly interested in vintage guitars as I more prefer the sound of a modern voiced guitar but if someone wanted to give my an old Martin OM or 000, I would be plenty happy.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Default Our present guitar renaissance

Right now we are in an incredible guitar renaissance that will be compared to the acoustic renaissance of the 1930's and 40's. But if I had to mention one of my favorites from the old days, I have a 1942 Banner Gibson J-50 (no, not a J-45, it's a J-50) that is a joy to play, very lightly built, and sounds wonderful. These J-50's from 1942 were prototypes and Gibson didn't really start making the J-50 (which is a blond J-45) after World War II.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Best guitar I've ever played is a '57 Gibson Country Western. Loved, loved, loved the tone. Blew my mind and taught me what "opened up" really means.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

My 1946 LG-2 and '49 Southern Jumbo are both great guitars, but the best vintage guitar I've ever played was an original 1934 Gibson L-OO. Small, comfortable body that had amazing volume combined with a wonderful woody tone, Just a wonderful guitar that I wished I could afford at the time.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM

I've been fortunate enough to play some very fine old guitars. But the one that impressed me first and impressed me most was a 1939 Martin 000-28 that I got to play when I had just begun to get competent on guitar.

That was an extraordinary guitar, and it was deeply influential for me in that it gave me a preference for that body style long before it became fashionable. I still prefer rosewood Martin Triple O's and OM's over just about anything else they make.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-07-2009, 02:37 PM

A 1938 Martin 00-17. Or I certainly hope so. It should be showing up here later in the week.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion