The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 09:59 AM

Question Questions / comments about the Yamaha csf1m acoustic guitar.

I just ordered a crimson red Yamaha csf1m small form acoustic guitar and am awaiting delivery. I have been considering a smaller form acoustic purchase for a few years.

Yamaha acoustic guitars came to mind because my experience with my own Yamahas has reinforced the great reputation Yamaha has for producing every level of guitar. All of my experiences with all Yamaha guitars that I have played has been rewarding.

The Yamahas always have a comfortable feel and a nice graceful curve to every surface. They look good and are very well made.

My 1st one was an 'L' model. I bought it new about 15 years ago. It was $600. This mini jumbo has a cutaway and a great top mounted full featured preamp. This is an awesome guitar. I have since purchased 'A' models including a plain top A5m. The A5m was made in Japan.

Because even inexpensive Yamahas are very nice I started by looking at an APX600 electric acoustic designed for stage and even rock. Nice guitar for sure.

Looking for something with a more familiar feel I continued to investigate the other series of available Yamahas and discovered the Csf1m that seemed to be definitely interesting. I had not heard of it before.

I ordered a Csf1m thinking that it should work very well for my purposes of playing around the house unplugged as well as plugged into one of my amplifiers, including tube amps at medium low volume.

Because the main idea was to find a small form electric acoustic I was interested in checking out the very cool esp ltd tl-6 model that is a sleek lp style thinline with a semi solid design. Mostly solid. Thus I decided that something with a nicer acoustic sound would be better for my purposes.

I still want to check out the tl-6 but it is 7+ pounds in weight. Watching Kirk Hammet play the tl-6 however, definitely shows how great the tl-6 is in its heavy metal amplified mode softly +/-.

The Csf1m is a more old fashioned round shoulder type of acoustic guitar that has been redesigned for modern and current players. It has a passive pickup and a high quality unamplified sound.

** My 1st question is, "does the Csf1m definitely 'need' a preamp to use with an amplifier? It does not have a built in preamp, only a pickup.

I have 2 inexpensive acoustic preamps but only need to use them when connecting to a PA or direct box. My PA needs a preamp. But an acoustic with a built in preamp and controls is powered by a battery. The battery boosts the signal within the parameters of the preamps eq and circuit so that it interacts with the amplifier properly.

As with many things it's not that simple. I'm confused because my Martin d16 with a passive Dean Markley 'Pro Mag 2" soundhole humbucking pickup does not need a preamp or battery to work properly with my amps. Maybe because the humbucker is a higher gain passive pickup. I don't know.

The Csf1m is a cool guitar but I'm sure that others also have questions regarding this seemingly very cool and affordable electric acoustic guitar.

The esp ltd tl-6 is about $300 more than the Yamaha Csf1m. Both are very dissimilar acoustic guitars and the esp ltd is by no means an inferior guitar to the Yamaha, without doubt. They are just different kinds of guitars.

I appreciate feedback regarding the Csf1m. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:13 PM

Hi. I had the guitar you speak of. It sounded ok without a preamp. I'm picky about my plugged in tone and for me, the SRT zero impact pickup in this and the newer L series Yamaha guitars doesn't sound good enough for me. That said, most people would be ok with the plugged in tone. Into an amp you'll be fine. A preamp will help into a PA but is not necessary.

Mine was upgraded with open gear tuners, bone nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins. For its size I was well pleased with its acoustic sound.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:12 PM

Default Question about tuners.

I was going to ask you if you had to bore the headstock but I now notice the peg holes are the standard 10 mm.

I appreciate your feedback about the preamp. I have 2 acoustic preamps. A sonicore ‘sonic woods’ and a behringer tech21 clone. I like the sonic woods better; it has delay reverb chorus and preamp. Both have xlr out.

In actuality I mostly play my acoustics unplugged except for when I want to get heavier tones. I play at home and use 1 watt tube heads mostly. I also have a nice fishman loudbox performer that will probably be perfect for the Csf1m.

I have been playing for over 50 years … I’m an amateur, not an expert or professional. I play all the time and enjoy playing. I play for fun.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:19 PM

I asked basically the same question as you on this forum a little while back, as I am totally unfamiliar with acoustic preamps. To be honest I didn't really understand the answers I got, but I went ahead and bought the CSF1m and I have been enormously satisfied. I have been using it a lot with a EH looper pedal connected to a Boss Katana amp (which I had originally bought as a practice amp for my electrics), and I think it sounds fantastic. I keep the Katana set on either the "acoustic" or "clean" setting. I also have a very cheap Fender acoustasonic amp, and it sounds fine through that as well.

Bottom line--I still don't know anything about acoustic preamps, but the guitar sounds great to me plugged straight into the two amps I have in the room where the CSF1m lives. I think it definitely sounds better amplified than the GS mini e that I sold after getting the CSF.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:26 PM

Default Preamp

Thanks for the response Rpt.

I did not find many full reviews of the Csf1m on yt or other online sources. I am still looking on the internet.

The one I ordered is on the way. Crimson red. I was not aware of this model and it definitey seems nice for sure.

My newest Yamaha is a natural top A3R. This is a great Yamaha guitar. It has a great full featured built in preamp located on the top side of the guitar in an array of 3 buttons that perform a few ranges of functions. The A3R is a sophisticated guitar.

The Yamahas’ seem to be the best acoustics that I have purchased.The attention to detail and the very high quality fretboards and necks are also things that bring me back to Yamaha. Seems like I can rely on Yamaha to make great guitars, especially acoustics.

I’mgoing to try a set of Earthwoods ‘rock and blues’ strings because this set has an unwoumd G string and they are practically indestructible. They are 10 gauge strings and are easy to bend. Ernie Ball knows how to make guitar products.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:32 PM

I too am thinking about buying one of the csf1m models to use as a "throw in the car and take when I visit my grandkids" guitar, but unfortunately no one has one to try, local to me. I found a few online reviews and I like Yamaha guitars in general so based on that I am likely to purchase. However for those that do have this model, I am curious about two things. First what is the neck profile like? I have small little-lady hands and do not do well with chunky necks. I do well with GS-mini necks and I have a Martin custom with a MLO neck which also works well for me. I have played a Yamaha FSX800 and that neck fits well too. I thought about getting one of the Eastman travel guitars that Sweetwater has but I know alot of you here describe the Eastman necks as "chunky" so I am hesitant to ship one of those. For those who have a csf1m model, what is the neck like?

Second, as I said, the guitar is basically to take once a week for my once a week "grandma concert" for my toddler grands. It is really just to throw in the car and take to entertain them. How is the sound since I won't be plugging it in. I get heavy strumming is a no with this but mostly I play Raffi songs for them and things like that. Would this be a good guitar for that? I should sign this post "Goldilocks" as I am not looking for the loudest or the softest, not the smallest, not the biggest but something "just right" for the grandkids!
Old 05-02-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I own a CSF3M which has the same pickup as the CSF1M. I plug it in on occasion to my acoustic amp, it sounds great. I purchased my CSF3M as a travel guitar for the motorhome. It has a big full sound and I enjoy playing it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion