The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Default My acoustic guitars truss rod is stuck, help getting it unstuck.

I have a fender DG-20S and went to adjust my truss rod and it will not budge. Any tips on how to get it to break lose? I've had the guitar about 10 years and never tried to adjust it until today.

Matt
Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 PM

If you can get some penetrating oil on the threads without making a mess, try PB Blaster.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Be very careful if you strip it out it is a costly repair. When in doubt take it to a good luthier. We repair them all the time.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Be very careful if you strip it out it is a costly repair. When in doubt take it to a good luthier. We repair them all the time.
+1. You don't have to try too hard to break one and it's a big mess if you do.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
What is the normal cost for this? The guitar is only worth a couple hundred at MOST.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rival178 View Post
What is the normal cost for this? The guitar is only worth a couple hundred at MOST.
If it brakes or strips at the threaded end at the headstock, it can be re-threaded and a new seat and nut put on it. We just bought a special tool for doing this and the cost is about fifty dollars. For years we repaired them with out the tool using tools that we had made. Not all luthiers have this tool. If you have the truss rod that adjust from the sound hole they are harder to repair. If it brakes up in the neck or it pulls loose from the other end the fretboard has to be removed and a new truss rod installed. Cost from 150.00 to 250.00 depending on if the fretboard has binding.

I have adjusted a lot of truss rods and I cringe every time I do one. My partner is extremely good at getting a truss rod to wake up. Even though I have adjusted a lot of them, if they don't feel right I will hand the guitar to him. LOL
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rival178 View Post
A simple truss rod adjustment is likely to cost you no more than the shop's minimum shop charge, which in most places is somewhere between $25 to $30.

My suggestion is that you view the task of getting the truss rod functional as normal maintenance, kind of like getting the oil changed on your car. Even if you're driving a beater with no market value to speak of, you still want to keep it running and on the road.

Same thing with this guitar. Trying to save money by attempting a repair you don't have the tools or experience to tackle could end up being very expensive in the long run if you bust something.

Short version: don't cheapy out here - take the guitar to a pro. This is probably something fairly simple to deal with, and won't cost much to have someone with some experience to deal with it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
A simple truss rod adjustment is likely to cost you no more than the shop's minimum shop charge, which in most places is somewhere between $25 to $30.

My suggestion is that you view the task of getting the truss rod functional as normal maintenance, kind of like getting the oil changed on your car. Even if you're driving a beater with no market value to speak of, you still want to keep it running and on the road.

Same thing with this guitar. Trying to save money by attempting a repair you don't have the tools or experience to tackle could end up being very expensive in the long run if you bust something.

Short version: don't cheapy out here - take the guitar to a pro. This is probably something fairly simple to deal with, and won't cost much to have someone with some experience to deal with it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade! I was too busy warning him about the cost of repairing a broken one that I forgot tell him how much he should pay for a truss rod adjustment. If that's all that we have do we usually don't charge to adjust one. But your price rang is within limits of the going charge.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 11-12-2010 at 08:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion