The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Lowden advice

I have a Lowden s50J - alpine spruce and ziricote, an absolutely beautiful guitar. This is their nylon jazz crossover. About a month, maybe a couple months ago, it developed string buzz on the D string. I took it into a very highly respected luthier here in the Twin Cities, who could hear the buzz. Thankfully. She shimmed the saddle. No good. She adjusted the neck relief, which did not correct the issue. She adjusted it more, still no good. She built a new saddle, no good. Still buzzing when fretted. Only ever when fretted. Only the D string. The buzz might not bother some people, but for me it is a real buzz kill, pun intended. I cannot in good faith sell this guitar as it is, I am just not made out of that stuff. Too afraid Karma would turn around and bite me in the rear. Plus, cannot do that to another person. But, I don't enjoy playing it anymore. Action is too high, and it still buzzes. I have tried the zip tone remedy tightening in the direction of the wind (IYKYK), no good. Tuners have been checked. No loose electronics. Right now, I have a very expensive pretty guitar that I cannot play. It is covered by Heritage, but I am not sure what to do. The cause of the buzz cannot be identified. I would sound like a "Karen" if I put in a claim for string buzz, but seriously, this feels like a total loss to me as it is. Open to advice and wise counsel.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Probably needs a new nut or the nut slot for the D string filled a bit. I'm surprised the luthier didn't check that.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-10-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

She did. It is not the nut. Only happens when fretted, and more so around the 4th through 7th frets
Old 05-10-2024, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
She did. It is not the nut. Only happens when fretted, and more so around the 4th through 7th frets
There's only a few things it could be. The fret heights, the nut slots, the saddle height and neck relief. Put a capo on it the first fret and see how much clearance there is between the D string and those frets as compared to the G and A strings. Take a look at the strings as they sit in the nut slots (perspective from under the strings). For a string to buzz on the fret it has to be too low somewhere.

I wonder if the frets raised somehow.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-10-2024, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

You say the tech ‘adjusted the neck-relief’ - three questions…

1) which way did he adjust it - add or reduce relief?
2 what is the relief now (in 0.000”)?
3) where was the buzz before the relief adjustment (in other words, did the buzz move after the adjustment, or did it remain on the same frets mid-neck)?

Fret buzz when fretting mid-neck can indicate excess relief. And yes, it can affect a single string. Excess relief could also add to 12th fret action height.

BTW, this phenomenon isn’t specifically a ‘Lowden issue’, it’s a ‘guitar issue’.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-10-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There's only a few things it could be. The fret heights, the nut slots, the saddle height and neck relief. Put a capo on it the first fret and see how much clearance there is between the D string and those frets as compared to the G and A strings. Take a look at the strings as they sit in the nut slots (perspective from under the strings). For a string to buzz on the fret it has to be too low somewhere.

I wonder if the frets raised somehow.
She checked all that stuff. I can tell you with 100% confidence that the action is so high right now, that it is no fun to play. It is only one string, the D, and it is still buzzing. I have personally measured action using that tool you get for that purpose, and it is at the upper extreme.

Thanks for trying to help, though.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post

3) where was the buzz before the relief adjustment (in other words, did the buzz move after the adjustment, or did it remain on the same frets mid-neck)?

Fret buzz when fretting mid-neck can indicate excess relief. And yes, it can affect a single string. Excess relief would also add to 12th fret action height.
I asked her which way. Referred to it as "bowing" it more. Just spoke with her on the phone, she confirmed that she increased neck relief. The location where it buzzes most did not change. Still most conspicuous 4th fret and higher, however, with some strings (I have tried several different sets) it will buzz at the first fret.

Last edited by Merlemantel; 05-10-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Fret buzz when fretting mid-neck can indicate excess relief. And yes, it can affect a single string. Excess relief could also add to 12th fret action height.

BTW, this phenomenon isn’t specifically a ‘Lowden issue’, it’s a ‘guitar issue’.
I am aware it is a guitar issue. I only mention the brand/specs because this is a nylon string guitar. Also, if I said guitar issue, no one would respond. If I said string buzz, people would assume it is steel string. Anyhow, I am grateful for your help.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
I am aware it is a guitar issue. I only mention the brand/specs because this is a nylon string guitar. Also, if I said guitar issue, no one would respond. If I said string buzz, people would assume it is steel string. Anyhow, I am grateful for your help.
Sorry for trying to help. Enjoy the ride on your own.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-10-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I said thank you, and I meant it.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I said thank you, and I meant it. Sorry, I didnt mean to offend you. I really am grateful to you for your help
Old 05-10-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I would take it to another luthier and ask if they can check the fret heights. Fret the D string starting at the 12th fret and work your way down until it starts to buzz.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-10-2024, 01:03 PM

This might seem a strange question, but is the buzz due to hitting against frets? Or something else?

I ask because my Lowden O23 developed a sitar-like buzz that eventually disappeared on it's own. I never figured out the cause, but pretty sure the strings was not vibrating against frets.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
This might seem a strange question, but is the buzz due to hitting against frets? Or something else?

I ask because my Lowden O23 developed a sitar-like buzz that eventually disappeared on it's own. I never figured out the cause, but pretty sure the strings was not vibrating against frets.
This is an excellent question. That sitar type buzz that is not originating on the fret is called zip tone. It is especially common on the D string. If you google zip tone guitar you'll find some stuff. I have checked for this, and I am not convinced that is the problem, but it could be. Wow, it would be wonderful if it would just go away.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

You mentioned Heritage Insurance, do they cover a guitar against developing string buzz?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion