The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 12:55 PM

Default Cleaner for thin water based satin finish on acoustic guitars

Hey guys, I am just curious what some of you use for just average wipe down for a clear satin water based finish with out clogging up the finish any.

I was thinking mild soap and water would work well but I want to see what some of you guys might use.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have no experience with them but both Taylor and Martin have products specifically formulated for cleaning satin finished guitars. Maybe some folks here have used them and can chime in. I’ve seen the products offered on both Amazon and Sweetwater.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-07-2024, 03:46 PM

You can just use the damp rag and skip the soap unless it's really bad.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:44 PM

I use DUNLOP 654 Formula 65 Guitar Polish & Cleaner 4oz. on everything. Spritz and wipe without streaks or anything. I keep a bottle in the studio and in my gig-bag and wipe down after any playing sessions or sets. It keeps any sweat, palm, hand, body... secretions off the guitar before anything effects the finish. Cheap and lasts forever. Forget that it says polish. It does not polish just cleans nicely.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

A clean rag. Damp if needed. A mild cleaner (any number of them will do but I kinda like the one Gibson makes) a couple times a year if there's grime. Naptha will clean them up well without leaving anything behind. I'm just not super fond of handling it so I only use it once in a while.

Most of the time, just a cloth. Using cleaners a lot actually makes them dirtier in my experience as the cleaners can leave a little bit of film behind.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:10 PM

Thank you all for your input.
The guitar I am referring to is the Taylor 724ce koa model.

It has a very thin water based finish open grain finish and since I do have some of the Dunlop products already and a couple of others I will use them on it.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post

It has a very thin water based finish open grain finish and since I do have some of the Dunlop products already and a couple of others I will use them on it.
I’d just contact Taylor to be sure. Great customer service. Taylor makes a satin finish polish that may or may not work for your guitar’s particular finish. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...3&gclsrc=3p.ds

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

A wipe over with a warm, damp cloth, followed by a soft, dry cloth is all it should need. Do that regularly after playing, and there will never be a need for any kind of ‘cleaner’. An occasional (like maybe once a year) spritz with Music Nomad Guitar Detailer or Lizard Spit won’t hurt.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

With open-grain I'm even less likely to use a cleaner very often as I don't want to add anything that will sit in the little valleys. I'll also use a cloth with some texture so that I'm not pushing stuff from the top into the valleys.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:14 AM

You may want to try Music Nomad guitar detailer, work for both gloss and matte finish.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Produ...Detailer-4-oz/
ArchAngels Wings (Dreadnought)

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 05-08-2024, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

I have been using this exclusively for years on my four satin finish instruments.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...r-cleaner-4-oz
Old 05-08-2024, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys, I am just curious what some of you use for just average wipe down for a clear satin water based finish with out clogging up the finish any.

I was thinking mild soap and water would work well but I want to see what some of you guys might use.
Hi BigTim…
Are you just trying to clean it up a bit, or do you have obvious stains?

My order of cleaning spots is spit (been used by techs and amateurs for decades), water, Naptha (lighter fluid). Spit is an amazing solvent…and not harmful to guitar finishes.

Unless it is varnish (which is rare on modern manufactured guitars), these are neutral and will not affect finish.

Also, do not buff it out assertively or you will polish down the 'satin' into shiny spots.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-08-2024, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Both Taylor and Martin have products specifically formulated for cleaning satin finished guitars....Jayne
My advice as well. Only use cleaners specifically made for satin finishes from a reputable mfg. Avoid polishes and certainly anything with wax or other "shine" agents as they can/will produce a sheen on satin that's difficult to reverse. When in doubt just use a damp cloth.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:24 AM

When I inquired about the ingredients of the Taylor cleaner for satin guitars, I was told that I could also use 4 drops of a mild dish soap in 16oz of water. YMMV

Taylor K24ce Limited all Koa
Alvarez Yairi Masterworks CYM75 Classical Guitar
Old 05-08-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Cool Always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’d just contact Taylor to be sure. Great customer service. Taylor makes a satin finish polish that may or may not work for your guitar’s particular finish. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...3&gclsrc=3p.ds
This should ALWAYS be your first step with questions about your guitar... contact the maker and find out what they recommend!

Seems so obvious to me; I don't understand why it is not the default setting for so many people... especially in this day and age, with the ease of email and free telephone calls.

Just call 'em up and be certain you're doing the right thing...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion