The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
....I noticed that the string itself had broken, and it was only being held together by the coating! I'd never seen anything like it...and no wonder it wouldn't stay in tune.
I really doubt that the extremely thin coating (think Teflon plumber's tape) was really holding your string together. More likely the core broke and the windings were holding things in place - sorta. It may have happened, but I don't recall ever breaking an Elixir string.

I have been using Elixir strings since they first came on the market maybe 25 years ago (?) and have never had the kind of issues being described. I have also been a tester for several prototype sets over the years. My preference tonally has shifted from 80/20 Polyweb to PB Nanoweb. I also have never been overly concerned about the fraying issue on the wound strings where the pick hits. It is unsightly but does not seem to affect tone.

Also be wary of Ch-lixer counterfeit strings. Lots of those going around. Only buy from reputable sources, ie: NOT Amazon or Ebay.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I stayed away from Elixir strings for years, due to both of those concerns... I'd heard about the thick Polyweb coating shredding and shedding, and also about the G strings that would snap...

When I finally tried them, I went for the Nanoweb variety... and have never had an issue with a G string on any of my guitars, not even the 12 string... on my two 6 string acoustics, I can leave them on for up to 6 months without loss of tone or degradation of the coating; must be my attack strength and style because I have a friend who can shred a set of Elixir Nanowebs in about 10 days!

He picks with his bare fingers and really "digs in" when he plays... which seems to result in the strings wearing very quickly...

I am a big fan of the Elixir strings, the Nanowebs anyway... I have had a set on my 12 string for up to 17 months (! gasp!), and on my electric guitar for nearly 7 YEARS, without any problems with tuning stability, coating shredding or strings snapping...

Hard to beat that for cost effectiveness... granted, I don't play the electric guitar all that much, but I DO play it... 7 years and I felt embarrassed that I had them on that long, but realized it was just "professional pride" that had me wanting to put on a new set, because the ones on it were absolutely fine...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 AM

I would break G and D strings along the saddle with Elixirs in the early 2000’s. Haven’t run into that problem in years. Especially since switching to the pb’s. Elixirs are still the most reliable string for me.

Former:
1999 Taylor 314ce
2010 Taylor 614c
2004 Taylor 714
2009 Taylor GA5
2011 Taylor GA7
2021 Taylor 114e
Old 11-03-2019, 11:59 AM

I had a string break once...yes, it was traumatic.

Not as traumatic as when I dropped a "name your brand" pick inside the sound hole once, though. Never could get it out, so I just started using that guitar as a percussion instrument. Oh, and I've never used that brand of pick since!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Also be wary of Ch-lixer counterfeit strings. Lots of those going around. Only buy from reputable sources, ie: NOT Amazon or Ebay.
Surely direct from Amazon is fine? I'd avoid marketplace/third party sellers/"fulfilled by Amazon" after being screwed over by a scam artist once.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:19 PM

In general, if you break a string, it seems like the G string has the reputation of being susceptible of breaking more often than the other 5. No matter what manufacturer's strings you are playing. That being said, I have never broke an elixer string. I only use them on my Taylor acoustics and I am guilty of not changing my strings enough so they stay on my guitars for an extended time. Maybe I have been lucky.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:22 PM

When I read "Elixir Horror Story", I thought maybe someone had poked an eye out or somethin'...

Last edited by Denny B; 11-03-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I like Elixir strings and use them on all my Taylors. I haven't had any of the problems with breaking any of the strings any more so than with my other favorite brand of strings, D'Addario.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Not a horror story, but about 15 years ago, I tried Elixir strings on one of my mandolins. After a couple days of playing, one of the A strings snapped. Replaced it with a string from another set and a couple days later that one snapped. Replaced it again and same thing. Three strikes and your out. Never used them again and never had an A string break again using other brands of strings, which cost about half as much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion