The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Default I stopped into GC

I went to a local GC to play some of their inventory. Was very please to see a huge humidifier in teh acoustic room, however, it was so loud you couldn't hear any of the instruments. My ears were ringing after I left the room. Too bad too, because I was looking for a good 12 string. They expect you to take it outside the room, but if you do, the music playing on the loudspeakers overpowers the guitar, go figure.....
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
I went to a local GC to play some of their inventory. Was very please to see a huge humidifier in teh acoustic room, however, it was so loud you couldn't hear any of the instruments. My ears were ringing after I left the room. Too bad too, because I was looking for a good 12 string. They expect you to take it outside the room, but if you do, the music playing on the loudspeakers overpowers the guitar, go figure.....
Hi mp...
When I've encountered the humidifiers at Guitar Centers, I'll either turn it off for a couple minutes to play in quiet (I ask the attendant to do so), or I take the guitar either into the classical room or inner-sanctum room in the acoustic sections. I've even asked to go to a back store room...

I've always been able to find a quiet environment to evaluate instruments by being polite and asking. I'd rather have them humidifying than drying instruments, and they want to show them off and sell them...always a pretty good mix.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM

dadgum!!!!!, Guitar Center just can't win for losing..........first people complain that the guitars are too dry in GC's because they don't have humidifiers in their guitar rooms...... now the ones that do have them are too loud???????????? sheesh...................
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM

I went into GC too, and they had a wonderful assortment of guitars, from low end to high end. There was nice humidity in the acoustic room, and it seemed like every guitar in there had fresh strings on. Loved it.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
dadgum!!!!!, Guitar Center just can't win for losing..........first people complain that the guitars are too dry in GC's because they don't have humidifiers in their guitar rooms...... now the ones that do have them are too loud???????????? sheesh...................

Comeon now I wasn't badmouthin' them at all. I didn't think it right for me to turn the humidifiers off, but I will ask next time. Like you say, better to have the monster humidifier than none at all.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Every GC's acoustic room I've ever been in has rough wood panelling on the walls. Would this do more harm than good when trying to humidify a room? Does that wood soak up the moisture moreso that sheetrock?

Just curious.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM

When I go into my GC's high end acoustic room I turn off the humidifer, and turn it back on when I leave, or if someone is playing ask them if they want me to leave it off.

I do know the folks very well at my store, at another store I would ask permission.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
I know what you mean about the music on the speakers. Fortunately the acoustic room at my GC has a quiet machine in there, but some other guy was trying out guitars, so I didn't want to disturb him, so I respectfully was trying the Yamahas out on the floor, but the music blasting was so annoying, I couldn't hear enough to tune up. You'll think in a music store, they'd keep the guitar room quieter, or even silent. I know they wanna inspire the little kiddies with all the rock, but I gotta hear if I'm gonna buy!

I'm sure their (de)humidifier was due for some servicing. Or it was a some cheapo home unit like my Sears one that makes a racket unless you turn it off and back on real quick, then it gets quieter.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Ratz! I was hoping for a good musician's joke...

Kinda like "A guy walked into a bar..."
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Also, I tend to be the most impressed with the guitars with the newest strings on them.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Interesting... I've never seen, or thought I heard any kind of humidifier at my local GC. On the other hand, the Best Buy near me set up a guitar department and does have a humidifier. It's quiet as can be and doesn't bother you to play and be heard in the slightest.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM

I too stopped at GC today. The only issue I have with my GC is that it seems everytime I go into the acoustic room someone thinks they are auditioning for a record contract. I don't mind hearing people play no matter if they are good or bad, but I get annoyed when people play and sing. I want to hear how a guitar sounds and feels to me. I would think that other people are there for the same reasons, so I do not want to hear singing unless they are testing a microphone.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphelan01 View Post
I too stopped at GC today. The only issue I have with my GC is that it seems everytime I go into the acoustic room someone thinks they are auditioning for a record contract. I don't mind hearing people play no matter if they are good or bad, but I get annoyed when people play and sing. I want to hear how a guitar sounds and feels to me. I would think that other people are there for the same reasons, so I do not want to hear singing unless they are testing a microphone.
I gotta say.. I sing when I try out guitars... that said... I do it quietly, not full on, and if anyone else is in the room with me, I don't. So I'm with you in not wanting to be subjected to someone's singing, but a lot of times for a singer songwriter trying out a guitar wouldn't be complete without seeing how it compliments their voice.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphelan01 View Post
... I would think that other people are there for the same reasons, so I do not want to hear singing unless they are testing a microphone.
Hi Djp...
Some of us play without singing, as well as play and sing, (and some even accompany singers). For me it is important to see how the balance between my voice (and the voices of others as well) and a guitar...it's a vital part of auditioning an instrument.

Some guitars sound fine on their own, yet are either too soft or loud to be sung comfortably with.

Sorry you are irritated by we ''singers''...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Well at leat they had a humidifier/Dehumidifier most guitar retailers dont go that far ( most GC's have them- thats a good thing ) and their easy to turn off - dont ask just do it ( if its s small unit ) - not the worst place to buy a guitar .Most Mom and Pop places now a days just have the cheap stuff on their walls - cause thats about all they sell with this economy .Be gratefull you at least have a GC where you live . i have all the guitars I'll ever need -so those places dont interest me that much - looking at stuff you cant buy just frustrates some of us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion