The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 11:19 AM

Default Micheal Millard is a real mench…

One of the first things that I did was email Froggy Bottom, Mr Millard responded directly

“ I appreciate to feeling in your letter; it’s the kind of thing that makes tis work we all love doing. I do remember your Dad’s name, but I never met him. We’ll be very grateful to be helpful in all possible ways.”

It does seem that he has records from his very early days.

Last edited by easaba; 01-08-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:30 AM

That's great that they were so eager to respond. Hopefully there will be some records available!
Old 01-08-2024, 11:33 AM

Best I can tell is that of the 5400 guitars that he has made over the last fifty years this is #200 to #300 of his creations. I hope some point to bring it to him and his shop.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:44 AM

The closeup of the soundhole and label inside shows there is some finish crackling on the spruce top.

How extensive is it? How about an oblique shot to show us?

My '71 D-18 Martin is crackled top only, with neck, head, sides, and back, all no-crackle. I love the look of mine.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-08-2024, 12:20 PM

She's looking pretty sweet for a 50 year old guitar.

Very Nice!

Enjoy the ride!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-08-2024, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Lovely guitar! Yours was built not long after I first discovered Froggy Bottom Guitars. I spent "my Winter in Vermont" in 1976, and while there I met a couple fellows who had an acoustic act and played up and down the Coast; they came inland to a place near me. They each played guitars that I couldn't figure out what the brand was...

Froggy Bottom! Wonderful instruments, great players... I'm glad you got in otuch with Michael, and I would heartily recommend that you get the guitar to him and have it gone through and set-up properly! If it were me, I would be VERY cautious about letting anyone else work on that guitar other than the folks at the shop it came from...

As someone else replied - as a beginner, having a guitar that's set-up properly is an absolute must for your progression as a guitarist. It is hard enough to play guitar without having to fight the instrument you are playing!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-08-2024, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBlack View Post
Nice looking guitar. Fretted Instrument Workshop is still open and selling guitars in Amherst, Massachusetts. You could give the owner Tony a call and he might remember ordering the instrument.
Tony is a really great guy; I would not be surprised if he remembers the details of that guitar. Just give him a call. He has been doing this for 50 years he has the knowledge.

(413) 256-6217
Old 01-08-2024, 01:20 PM

No comments on the guitar that have not already been mentioned although my experience has been that it is easier to learn on a quality instrument

In regard to lessons if you don’t have someone on hand, I would suggest the courses at Peghead Nation. They are well curated and not expensive. I have not done the beginner guitar but several of the other guitar courses and a couple of the fiddle courses.

https://pegheadnation.com/string-sch...ginning-guitar

Good luck.

Jon
Old 01-08-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Wow...what a priceless treasure your Dad left you. Beautiful guitar.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:36 PM

Default Congrats

Firstly you are very lucky to be left such a wonderful built guitar to start your journey into a wonderful life of music.
And just remember it isnt a sprint but a long journey into joy and a gift. After playing over 60 years I am still learning and even though it has become harder to play it gives me such joy to hear my guitar ring.
So enjoy the ride and hopefully you'll be playing for family and friend and sharing the music.
Again congrats. lou
Old 01-08-2024, 02:31 PM

Default In New Mexico a proper place to bring the guitar

to get it properly set up, and perhaps to find teacher.

I do have a humidifier with in the guitar as the standard level is bone-dry (<20%)
Old 01-08-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
...And just remember it isn't a sprint but a long journey into joy and a gift. After playing over 60 years I am still learning and even though it has become harder to play it gives me such joy to hear my guitar ring...
At a jam yesterday afternoon, the three guys playing guitar have maybe 140 combined years between us, possibly more. Each has played semi-professionally or played for money full time at some point. And the conversation still drifted around to how much there remains to be learned. I am an accomplished fingerpicker. My very good lead guitar player buddy Ted always envies that, as I do his ability to improve and solo. There is always something else.

I have often said that my idea of Heaven is:
- two years studying at the feet of Django Reinhardt full time and mastering Gypsy jazz
- two years full time with BB King
- two years full time with SRV
- two years with Segovia
- two years full time with Clapton
- etc, etc

But putting up with me probably isn't their idea of paradise...
Old 01-08-2024, 02:49 PM

Does that have rosewood back sides or mahogany?
Old 01-08-2024, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

The birth of the boutique movement was a fine thing. First of all, Martin in particular was forced to up their game. Most of the established builders, big and small got started around the same time. I was a college student in San Diego at the time and recall playing Taylor #6. The first Collings were mind blowing, then Santa Cruz to name just a few. I'd view ant first decade build as very desirable as they have aged now. Generally because they were expensive then, the first Collings I saw was over $3K!, they mostly have been well cared for.

The earliest Santa Cruz I've played was eighties. You have a very desirable guitar there. A first class guitar to learn on.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-08-2024, 03:26 PM

I believe it’s mahogany, but I am waiting for Mr Millard to get back to me with the specifications as built.

One other note, the fret board does not have any marks or inlay, is that common, for what reason would have a person asked to have them not put on?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion