The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 AM

Default Baritone vs D-scale

I'm currently getting very interested in buying a baritone acoustic now that there are a couple of decent sounding ones in the 'dip your toe in the water' price range. Currently I'm looking at the Walden B1 and the Alvarez ABT60 with my leaning more towards the Walden.

However, whilst doing some research yesterday I came across the Ovation DS778TX which threw a spanner in the works. It looks like a nice guitar and I must admit, I do like the tuned down a tone D- scale idea. But as I play mainly acoustically I was wondering if the Ovation 'long-neck' was up to the task both tonally and volume wise when unplugged? the only videos I can find of it seem to always have it plugged in. Can anyone that plays one please tell me what it's like acoustically?

Does anyone here play an Ovation D-scale or either of the other two baritones? If so your comments would be truly appreciated. I'm putting a £500 ($750) budget on the purchase mainly because I don't know how I'm going to get along with a baritone so I don't want to put a shed load of dough into something I might not like and which might be difficult to resell as it's not exactly a high demand instrument.

Last edited by steelarts; 03-02-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 AM

I've been held captive by the thought of getting a baritone for awhile but as you say at the getting feet wet level & other than the alvarez the price of most has been out of reach & you just can't find alvarez easily in Australia.

So I was a bit intrigued when you made reference to the walden. Upon investigation (google) I found out they're a relatively new release & there's quite a few walden dealers down here including the one where my sister recently bought her T550 (at the other end of the scale, literally). I could be making some inquiries there soon, thanks for the (albeit inadvertant ) tip.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Glad I could be of assistance, if only in some sort of backhanded way.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM

So does no one on the forum play an Ovation DS778TX?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM

I heard one at the student concert at Swanannoa last summer. It sounded great plugged into the pa. The owner was having lunch with the designer of the guitar. The designer is Thea grandson of the founder of Ovation. He had recently retired Andy was proud of this series of Ovaions.
Tuning d to d is very versitle for accompanying singing.
A. Partial capo on the second fret, leaving the low d open, allows for a normal g shape on drop d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion