The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2023, 10:14 AM

Default Martin J-40 two weeks later

I’d thought i would share my humble reflections and do a small ”review” on my J-40 reimagined.

I’ve had it for two weeks now so i’ve spent quite a lot of time with it and the honeymoon phase is more or less over.
Two things worth mentioning here.
1. I dont know how big the sonical difference is between the older (pre reimagined) ones and the newer ones so i can only share my view on this series.
2. Really important to point out - im by no means a skilled player. Im the typical bedroom guitarist. In other words - i cant justify owning this given the fact i lack the skills to get the most out of it. But hey - you only live once right.

What do i like:
The tone. It is packed with the warm Martin sound but doesnt have the woofy bas. Dont get me wrong - there’s a massive amount of low end but compared to my D28 the bass is a bit more focused.
Tone separation is great and the volume is out of this world. It’s a really dynamic sound in many ways. Ask for the mids and it will provide, dig in and the base response will knock your socks of. And the shimmering highs are there as well.
It’s kind of hard to explain why but it sounds like a Martin but doesnt sound like the typical Martin.

The combination of the forwardshifted scaloped bracing, the big sound board and the large body gives you all the sustain you could possibly need.

Furthermore the small waist makes this a really comfortable guitar to play compared to a dread.
Also, it’s hard to not like the CMF headstock and hexagons on the fretboard.

What does not suit me:
Im no big fan of the MLO neck. Accessibility towards the higher frets just doest work for my hands after a couple of hours (i use my thumb a lot). So the ”big” downside is not directly connected to the J-40.
The price however is. In Sweden this will set you back 6000 USD (tax & VAT included). Thats right up there with Collings, Huss & Dalton etc.

Conclusion:
I realize that we are traditional in many ways. If it’s not a Dread or a 000 we shy away.
But dont sleep on this model it’s a fantastic Martin and I have a feeling that it will age beautifully. In short - i really like this guitar.
Would i buy it new with the price in mind? No. But on the used market this might be a steal.

Did a quick video (once again - im NOT a blessed guitarist in terms of playing capabilities).

Last edited by Emil; 01-21-2023 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 01-21-2023, 10:21 AM

Glad you like your new Martin!

I have bought and sold some reimagined Martins. The sole reason for selling them is I could not get used to the MLO neck. Made my thumb hurt with over the top grabs and some had my whole hand aching.

Many out there love the MLO neck, but I'm not one of them. I do really love the tone, however, of the reimagined guitars.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Glad you like your new Martin!

I have bought and sold some reimagined Martins. The sole reason for selling them is I could not get used to the MLO neck. Made my thumb hurt with over the top grabs and some had my whole hand aching.

Many out there love the MLO neck, but I'm not one of them. I do really love the tone, however, of the reimagined guitars.
Yes, thats the issue for me.
Honestly - it’s a great neck. But it’s not the best one for me.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful model.

I actually have the dread version D40.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:55 AM

Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful instrument. I played many Martin models, and that one blew me away. If I could have made it happen, I would have had one too.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
Yes, thats the issue for me.

Honestly - it’s a great neck. But it’s not the best one for me.
Same for me. I like the mod-V neck best.

Then the low profile and Performing artist.

MLO is a big frustration for me
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-21-2023, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

A while ago I picked up a 1993 J-40 (so not only pre-reimagined, one of the earlier versions with the script logo) at a fraction of the new price. The sound is cavernous—it almost sounds like. 12-string guitar.

I’d love to try a reimagined one. Yours is a beauty—congratulations!
Old 01-21-2023, 01:35 PM

Congrats on your new Martin - it sounds great. BTW, I think your playing ability is way beyond Bedroom - more like Living Room or Front Porch populated with people (:
Old 01-21-2023, 02:10 PM

Terrific guitar. I think it sounds wonderful. Enjoy.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

congrats on a gorgeous guitar. Beautiful!!

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 01-21-2023, 07:37 PM

Very cool, I'm not a fan at all of the MLO neck either but I think this guitar would be up my alley aside from the price.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Doggy View Post
Congrats on your new Martin - it sounds great. BTW, I think your playing ability is way beyond Bedroom - more like Living Room or Front Porch populated with people (:

Let’s not get carried away.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:58 AM

To me, the J-40 is the best Martin I ever played. And luckily, I love the MLO neck best of all necks in my little collection.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-22-2023, 05:18 AM

That’s a beautifully balanced guitar, deep but clean bass (no spongy sounds), a nice and more prominent mid-range than ‘many a Martin’ and those clean glassy 40 series trebles. I like this model, I bet it works beautifully in dropped tunings as well.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 01-22-2023, 05:40 AM

Most people like the J models or even prefer them over other Martin body shapes.
But Martin has only 1 (!!!) J in the current production. They could sacrifice some dreads or OMs for some J-15, J-18 and a cedar topped J with rosewood back and sides.

I wonder why they don’t. Are we just loving but not buying Js? I‘d buy another one and for now the J would be the only Martins I‘d buy.

Let’s make some noise, maybe they read and listen.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion