The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2023, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Default The musical trendmill and runaround

I had 4 tunes that I said "Ok, I'm going to learn these tunes (3 classical and 1 Ed Gerhard tune) and record them. Fine. I set up a folder on my desktop with shortcuts to the stuff I need on my computer and I took a plastic folder I had in my desk and put the notation I need for the tunes in it, and labeled it "Current work" and left it in a prominent spot on my desk.

Fine. I did that for two days.

Then I was straightening things up on my credenza that I have next to my desk and saw my folders for Brad Werner's Classical Guitar Repertoire I and II. I then realized I should finish those (the pieces I like in them) before I go on to the "Current work" folder I had set up.

Fine. I did that for two days.

Then I was just killing some time, checking out some of my old recordings from the 2000's that I have on my various portable hard drives. I found one that surprised me, I had forgotten that I started it, but never finished it. So now, I have a 2007 recording of a tune's beginning that is gnawing at my soul. I have to finish it. BUT, my hands are 15 years older. Not going to be easy. So I get out the trusty Martin with it's 1 11/16" nut to help with the stretches (every little bit helps at my age) and I started with that today. My goals are 1. Be able to make the stretches. and 2. Play at the pace of the 2007 recording and then do a "then and now" recording to show the difference in my recording gear. and 3. Finish the tune and record it. Fun project.

Ok, so today I did the above and I worked on some of the tunes in the Classical Guitar Repertoire I, 1 tune from the "Current work", but not the Ed Gerhard piece that I was enjoying on my steel string that I really want to finish. Then for absolutely no apparent reason I started up GuitarPro, grabbed my Cordoba and wrote a short piece (to be recorded over the next couple of days). I don't know where that came from.

When I started I had 4 tunes to work on which is a good number to keep me busy. In a matter of a few days it has expanded to the 4 plus 8-10 of the repertoire pieces, plus the 2007 tune to re-learn and finish and then there's the piece I had learned back in the 70's that popped in my head last night while I was trying to fall asleep, calling to me to re-learn and finally record it after so many years.

I'm at 16 tunes now.

Great.

Anyone else go through this nonsense?

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 01-19-2023, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I tend to have at least 5 songs that I am in the process of writing, a number of other people’s songs that I am learning, and my finished songs that I want to keep under my fingers. So, yes, I can completely relate, Barry. I also have numerous folders and binders in several different locations that send me circling back around to various pieces and parts of unfinished works. There is something about manifesting my creative chaos externally that keeps my mind very clear. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-19-2023, 11:14 PM

A former bandmate of mine and very good songwriter is very much like that also but less organized. He has scraps of paper and drink cups with lyrics on them and such stuffed in satchel, in his guitar case, his car, etc., and his phone is full of snatches of songs.

I am quite the opposite. I have written around 70 songs and have never started one while another was unfinished. Just can't seem to do it on my own songs, I gotta finish it. So, I get stuck sometimes with no satisfactory way forward for awhile, but I eventually will finish the tune and proceed.

But I am able to help with someone else's song while mine is stuck, that has never seemed to be a problem. I've written a lot of bridges for other folk's songs.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
IThen for absolutely no apparent reason I started up GuitarPro, grabbed my Cordoba and wrote a short piece (to be recorded over the next couple of days). I don't know where that came from.

Anyone else go through this nonsense?
Just a suggestion.

I would listen to the voice in your head that caused you to spontaneously write a short piece. It's trying to get you off the treadmill, and let you have some fun. You can get back on the treadmill after chilling out for a while.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:25 AM

No I do not suffer such nonsense in my musical hobby. Many years ago I decided to take positive action to reduce stress in my life. This included changing long time habits that I allowed which made me perpetually late for things.

Another was to identify and remove artificial constraints I had created - arbitrary rules about how to do things that built boxes I lived, worked and played in.

Music is something I do for enjoyment. I've found the more I work on improving, the more I enjoy it - to a point. If I start creating arbitrary rules, regimens, etc. for the sake of having rules, that reduces my enjoyment.

If anything related to music starts causing me stress I'll stop, think about it and usually eliminate it.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:29 AM

!!! SQUIRREL !!!!

maybe you're over thinking all this Barry.

this is supposed to be relaxing and fun right?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I've been in the process of writing my No.1 hit, since 1978.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:29 PM

Your thread makes me keep thinking of the old saying: ‘Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sit.’

BluesKing777.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Your thread makes me keep thinking of the old saying: ‘Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sit.’

BluesKing777.
"When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard. And when I sit and think...I fall asleep."
Old 01-22-2023, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
!!! SQUIRREL !!!!

maybe you're over thinking all this Barry.

this is supposed to be relaxing and fun right?
Yep. And I threw another one on the pile to work on from time to time yesterday. I think I'll survive.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion