The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2001, 03:31 PM

Question Any tips from the Ebay veterans out here?

Ok, I decided to sell my 514c on Ebay and I'm registering today and going through all their directions on how to sell an item. Are there any tips from you veterans out there that would help me out? I haven't done this before and I don't want to screw it up. Also, what is the best way to collect payment and ship the item?

Thanks in advance,

Shea
Old 11-13-2001, 03:58 PM

Cool

A very easy way to collect a payment is through PayPal, yet Paypal takes a cut from what you make, but makes things very easy in the long run. You can check the rates on the paypal site. www.paypal.com Every ebay offer I have done has worked superbly this way and you get an instant payment. Also many people ask for money orders or personal checks. I myself am not a fan of this simply because of the time it takes to do such a transaction and with using the mail to send money I just don't like the idea. Another way is through Billpoint. www.billpoint.com I never used this myself but as I understand it works similar to Paypal. Lastly, the 514c is exactly what I have been searching for, you may not have to go far to sell it! Good luck with your action and feel free to email me for any question you have. [email protected] GOOD LUCK!

2002 614ce Fall Limited
Old 11-13-2001, 04:19 PM

Quote: "you may not have to go far to sell it"

Indeed, if only I had disposable cash, the 514c would be the perfect complement to my 714, and I'd grab it in a minute. If only...

Good luck!
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 11-13-2001, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulLePine:
<STRONG>Quote: "you may not have to go far to sell it"

Indeed, if only I had disposable cash, the 514c would be the perfect complement to my 714, and I'd grab it in a minute. If only...

Good luck!</STRONG>
Me too! Darn national economy...grumble...

Ken
Old 11-13-2001, 05:09 PM
Jim

The single most important thing is to include several really good large photos, including a couple of closeups. When you take the photos, use a decent digital camera using .jpg format and take the pictures outside in the sunshine. Nothing makes a guitar look trashy like an indoor photo with too little light and bright flash reflection off of the shiney surface. And don't use the Ebay photo hosting feature as their software will degrade your photos' size and resolution to the point of making them small and grainy. Upload your pictures onto some other server (most pay service web/email hosting companies give you some free space on their server when you buy your service)and bring them onto your auction page with an html link in your description (see the ebay instructions on how to do this).

Excellent quality photos will greatly increase the selling price as that is what people base most of their judgment on when deciding how much to bid.

Also, be complete and honest in your description, but avoid the hype and deceptive wording you see in some auctions or on Harmony Central. Things like, "Absolutely perfect and mint condition except for a crack down the middle that you can't see from 3 feet away" and "SUUUHHHWWEEEEEETTTTT!!" and "here's a real Martin-killing cannon that blows everything else off the planet" and other such goofy descriptions turn most people off as it says you really don't know your way around an acoustic guitar or are an untrustworthy slicky-boy to be avoided. Remember, Ebay auctions run on the trust that a photo and the description is accurate and the seller is not trying to unload a dog.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Jim ]
Old 11-14-2001, 01:55 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm going to take pictures tomorrow and get it up on Ebay as quick as possible.

Shea
Old 11-14-2001, 02:50 AM

If you have to take pictures indoors, be sure to use the "slow-sync" flash function on your camera (sometimes called night mode or indoor mode).
This changes the timing on the flash so that indoor pictures have even lighting. It will make a big difference.

Also, you might want to check out a service like Andale.com which helps you to create a professional looking auction listing. I used to work in the internet auction biz and one thing that differentiated average sellers from "power" sellers was the professional look of their auctions. People are really attracted to the look of your listing, you would be surprised how much difference a little color and nice layout makes. It gives buyers more confidence while bidding.

Also be sure to present the features of your guitar in a clearly presentable and readable way, not listing everything in a big paragraph.

I'm sure if you posted the link here you could get some feedback about the look of your listing from us.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion