The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Pick Comparison (With Video)

Hey everyone, I have been on a pick hunt for the last month and I thought I would make a video of all the main contenders. I used a 2002 Santa Cruz OM/PW that has nearly brand new EJ16 strings on it. They were about 4 hours old at the time the video was made so they are still very bright. It probably would have been better if I had waited for the strings to mellow out a bit before I made the video but I had some free time and I wanted to get the video made. I used a Peluso CEM6 about a foot off the guitar, pointed directly at the sound hole and an AT4050 pointed at the end of the lower bout, also about a foot away from the guitar. My goal was to emphasize the bass and pick noise, essentially making this an "ugly" recording to help compare the picks. The recording is dry, all I did was volume match the two mics.

http://youtu.be/aoBdG1dQMSk

Here is a list of picks used.
1. Clayton Ultem 1.07mm. A lot of people use and like these picks so it was perfect to compare the other picks to.

2. John Pearse Fast Turtle 1.2mm

3. Wegen TF 120, 1.2mm

4. V-Pick Screamer/Acoustic, 2.75mm

5. Bluechip TAD60, speed bevel, 1.5mm

6. Red Bear "C" medium, speed bevel, roughly 1.3-1.4mm

7. Red Bear "C" heavy, roughly 1.4-1.5mm. I asked for a broader bevel that compares to my Blue chip. This pick is very similar to my BC TAD60, nearly identical in shape.

8. Red Bear Tuff-Tone "C" Medium. 1.24mm

9. Red Bear Tuff-Tone "C" Heavy. 1.65mm. This has the same bevel as #7.

I'll post a review when I get a chance. Thanks for reading.

Matt

Last edited by Matters; 05-21-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Just noticed that I say "bezel" when I mean "bevel" in the video. My mistake.

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion