The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2021, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

No such thing.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:27 PM

Over the past 1 year, I got delivery of a Brazilian PreWar OM-28, 2 Schoenberg Bruce Sexauer Guitars, 1 Schoenberg TJ Thompson OM-28, 1 Julius Borges 000 guitar, 1 Per Marklund OM-28, a 1939 Martin, bought a few classical guitars - Kohno Special, Sakurai Special, Ramirez 1A, put in deposit for a Tom Doerr Brazilian guitar.

I forgot to even know how many guitars I have - when the strings get rusty, I know it is time to go online to look for new guitars, so I don't need to put in new strings myself . Maybe I am out of my mind. Or probably due to the COVID lockdown boredom at home.

Last edited by hieu; 08-25-2021 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

I've stopped at eight. Covers everything I want to do.

(but I've been thinking about a nylon string,..)
Old 08-25-2021, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’m certainly not a pro. And I don’t gig. I’m a hack who took up guitar as my retirement hobby. So it’s pretty simple for me. If I can afford it and it brings me joy I buy it. I really only “need” one. The rest are just about expanding the joy.
I couldn't agree more. Technically, if you'd want to be able to do everything, you could get a classical, a steel string, and an electric and you'd be able to do whatever you want reasonably well. But the joy I get from learning a song and then playing it on different guitars is something I just don't get from other things. It feels like I'm getting a brand new guitar every time. And then switch to a baritone? Somebody hold me!

My girlfriend keeps asking me how many I have now, but I told her she'll find out when we move in together. I'm not having that conversation until strictly necessary!
Old 08-25-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
OP I like your way of thinking

ps....would love to see pics of the Hahn 228 and the Sands!
Your wish is my command!

And all together...

Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 08-25-2021, 08:18 AM

How many? That’s easy, ONE MORE!
Old 08-25-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default How many guitars is enough?

I currently play 4 but could easily be happy playing my 2 favorite and if, for some reason, I could only play 1, I would adjust. But, it is nice to choose from a variety of sizes, wood combos, and to be able to keep a couple in different tunings.
Best,
Jayne
Old 08-26-2021, 01:11 PM

I just joined this forum and came across this thread, so this is my first post! I'm an average player at best, and I consider myself primarily an amateur songwriter. I'm in my early 60s now, and I bought more (and better) guitars than I needed back when I was young, single, and free of financial responsibilities. I took a 20-year-plus hiatus from my musical hobby when I got married, helped raise my wife's two sons, went to grad school, switched careers, and helped my wife run her life-coaching side business. She retired when the pandemic hit, the boys are grown up and married, and I'm comfortable in my career, so I decided to dust off my old guitars and keyboards and get back into music.

As for how many guitars I need:Well, I have a 1996 Made-in-Mexico Fender Stratocaster, to which I added a Roland GK-2A pickup and bought a Roland VG-8 guitar processor in 1997. I recently replaced the latter with a Roland GP-10. It does an incredible job of modeling pretty much any kind of electric guitar and amp imaginable, and an okay job of modeling steel- and nylon-string acoustics. Since I write in a variety of styles, I need a variety of guitar sounds. If I were forced to choose one guitar to keep, it would be the Strat and the GP-10.

If whatever cruel person forced me to choose only one guitar showed mercy and allowed me a second guitar, it would be a six-string acoustic. I have two of those, the first being a 1996 Martin HJ-28, which I bought because I loved the sound of Amy Ray's (Indigo Girls) J-40. The HJ-28 was the less-expensive version, with herringbone rather than abalone inlay, but it gave me the sound I wanted. It's a beautiful guitar, and it was a substantial upgrade from my 1978 entry-level Yamaha dreadnaught (which was an upgrade from my first guitar, a 3/4-size Sears Silvertone).

At some point, I decided I also wanted a smaller guitar meant more for finger style than for heavy strumming. I read a review of the 2000 Taylor 714ce, which has rosewood back and sides and a cedar top. I usually found Taylors too lacking in low end for my tastes, but the reviewer said this model was quite balanced. My local music store had one, and I loved it, and I bought it. This probably is my favorite guitar, and it's the one I'd keep if I had to choose between it and the Martin. Fortunately, I don't have to choose.

Moving from "need" into "nice to have" territory is a nylon-string. I have a 1976 Giannini AWNM2I that I bought for $60 when I was 17 because my best friend was a classical-guitar snob who told me I needed a classical in addition to the Silvertone he'd sold me a couple years before. I don't play classical music, but friends who do say that it sounds surprisingly good for a cheap laminate guitar, and I enjoy playing it for Latin or Willie Nelson vibes.

Last is a 12-string. I've long been a Gordon Lightfoot fan, so I bought a cheap Fender F-330-12 on clearance at a music store in 1983. The action is high, and I suppose I could have it lowered, but it does the job when I need that jangly rhythm sound.

Moving on to guitars I don't need: When I was 19, a friend and I decided we were going to be the next Lennon and McCartney. He told me, "Your classical guitar won't cut it. You need an electric." With $240 in my pocket, we went to a local pawn shop. I wanted a Stratocaster, but they were all $300. There was a Gibson, though, for $220. I didn't find out until years later what it was: a 1971 SG Deluxe. It has the LP pick guard rather than the usual batwing. It was never popular, so it was made for only two years, during a period when Gibson had quality-control problems. It's a beautiful guitar, but it was never worth very much -- until now, when it's worth about 10 times what I paid for it because it's rare and in great condition. I have a similarly unloved-at-the-time Gibson EB-4L bass guitar that's worth almost as much because it's rare. I'm planning to sell those two, buy a mid-range crossover nylon-string and a mid-range 12-string, and pocket the leftover cash.

So I guess, for me, four guitars are enough: one electric, one six-string acoustic (although I'm keeping two), one nylon-string, and one 12-string acoustic.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
I just joined this forum and came across this thread, so this is my first post! I'm an average player at best, and I consider myself primarily an amateur songwriter. I'm in my early 60s now, and I bought more (and better) guitars than I needed back when I was young, single, and free of financial responsibilities. I took a 20-year-plus hiatus from my musical hobby when I got married, helped raise my wife's two sons, went to grad school, switched careers, and helped my wife run her life-coaching side business. She retired when the pandemic hit, the boys are grown up and married, and I'm comfortable in my career, so I decided to dust off my old guitars and keyboards and get back into music.

As for how many guitars I need:Well, I have a 1996 Made-in-Mexico Fender Stratocaster, to which I added a Roland GK-2A pickup and bought a Roland VG-8 guitar processor in 1997. I recently replaced the latter with a Roland GP-10. It does an incredible job of modeling pretty much any kind of electric guitar and amp imaginable, and an okay job of modeling steel- and nylon-string acoustics. Since I write in a variety of styles, I need a variety of guitar sounds. If I were forced to choose one guitar to keep, it would be the Strat and the GP-10.

If whatever cruel person forced me to choose only one guitar showed mercy and allowed me a second guitar, it would be a six-string acoustic. I have two of those, the first being a 1996 Martin HJ-28, which I bought because I loved the sound of Amy Ray's (Indigo Girls) J-40. The HJ-28 was the less-expensive version, with herringbone rather than abalone inlay, but it gave me the sound I wanted. It's a beautiful guitar, and it was a substantial upgrade from my 1978 entry-level Yamaha dreadnaught (which was an upgrade from my first guitar, a 3/4-size Sears Silvertone).

At some point, I decided I also wanted a smaller guitar meant more for finger style than for heavy strumming. I read a review of the 2000 Taylor 714ce, which has rosewood back and sides and a cedar top. I usually found Taylors too lacking in low end for my tastes, but the reviewer said this model was quite balanced. My local music store had one, and I loved it, and I bought it. This probably is my favorite guitar, and it's the one I'd keep if I had to choose between it and the Martin. Fortunately, I don't have to choose.

Moving from "need" into "nice to have" territory is a nylon-string. I have a 1976 Giannini AWNM2I that I bought for $60 when I was 17 because my best friend was a classical-guitar snob who told me I needed a classical in addition to the Silvertone he'd sold me a couple years before. I don't play classical music, but friends who do say that it sounds surprisingly good for a cheap laminate guitar, and I enjoy playing it for Latin or Willie Nelson vibes.

Last is a 12-string. I've long been a Gordon Lightfoot fan, so I bought a cheap Fender F-330-12 on clearance at a music store in 1983. The action is high, and I suppose I could have it lowered, but it does the job when I need that jangly rhythm sound.

Moving on to guitars I don't need: When I was 19, a friend and I decided we were going to be the next Lennon and McCartney. He told me, "Your classical guitar won't cut it. You need an electric." With $240 in my pocket, we went to a local pawn shop. I wanted a Stratocaster, but they were all $300. There was a Gibson, though, for $220. I didn't find out until years later what it was: a 1971 SG Deluxe. It has the LP pick guard rather than the usual batwing. It was never popular, so it was made for only two years, during a period when Gibson had quality-control problems. It's a beautiful guitar, but it was never worth very much -- until now, when it's worth about 10 times what I paid for it because it's rare and in great condition. I have a similarly unloved-at-the-time Gibson EB-4L bass guitar that's worth almost as much because it's rare. I'm planning to sell those two, buy a mid-range crossover nylon-string and a mid-range 12-string, and pocket the leftover cash.

So I guess, for me, four guitars are enough: one electric, one six-string acoustic (although I'm keeping two), one nylon-string, and one 12-string acoustic.
You lost me at "I just joined this forum..."
Just kidding! Welcome aboard. You get a prize for the longest first post of the year!
Old 08-26-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
You lost me at "I just joined this forum..."
Just kidding! Welcome aboard. You get a prize for the longest first post of the year!
Thanks! I’m a professional writer and editor (in part, anyway), and I don’t know how to do “short.” As Mark Twain once said in a 28-page letter to a friend, “I apologize for writing such a long letter, but I didn’t have time to write a short one.”
Old 08-26-2021, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

They are all different so I think as many as you want and as many as you can afford.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion