The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Both the HD-28 and HD-28V are fantastic guitars.
Good luck with your upcoming purchase!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
I hope you got a good price - GC is infamous for low-balling
I've sold a few things at GC. Once you take into account eBay/PayPal fees and shipping costs, the price I've gotten has been more than reasonable. Bonus is the additional discount they offer if you buy something at the same time.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 AM
some guy from NY

My local GC...all the good guitars are up and out of reach. Requires sales help. (But no one from sales even came into the acoustic room)

I understand the issues of overhead for keeping good guitars that guys just come and play for fun with no intention of buying. But isn't 'get them in the door. have them try your product' a fundamental for brick and mortar business models? I would have even paid a 20 dollar fee for trying a half dozen guitars or a requirement to wipe down the guitar after playing. GC seems to be focused on other merchandise sales in my area.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by existence View Post
I sold some gear at Guitar Center today, and while I waited for them to appraise it all I bee lined over to the high end room. Here's what I played, in order:

1) MartinD-18 Authentic: This guitar must have been there a while, because the strings were dirty and dead. It sounded...good, but not worth the 4K price tag. I'm sure the strings had a lot to do with it. Nice, with good balance, but a little lifeless.

2) Martin D-28: Strings in good shape. It was very good, with the famous punchy, deep bass. Factory action was good too. It was a little less complex sounding than the next two I played...

3) Martin HD28V: Ok, this was an amazing guitar. The tone was dark, smoky, full and resonant. Despite the darkness, it had a certain sparkle too. The strings didn't look great, but it still sounded excellent.

3) Martin HD-28: Also amazing. Very similar to the HD28V: complex, dark, etc. The 28V was a little better, for reasons I find difficult to describe. I'd say it sounded a little more 'open'.

4) Gibson J-45 standard: I'd never played one of these iconic guitars, so I took it down an gave it a spin. Maybe it was because I'd just played those wonderful Martins, but it was disappointing. Not bad, just a little thin sounding. The strings needed changing, but I suspect it wasn't just that. If it had been a $500 guitar, I probably would have thought 'hey that's nice', but considering the price and the big name I was a bit let down.

I had to leave at this point, so I wasn't able to try any more. I checked the intonation on each guitar, and all were perfect (or you know, as close to perfect as it gets).

I am now in awe of the HD28 and the HD28V. I am on the verge of making my first high end purchase, and it will almost certainly be one of those two guitars. They just sounded so great for strumming open chords and singing.

End of report!
I did my monthly GC pilgrimage yesterday but I was a little late. The hi-end room was full of lo-end players. No room for me to add to it. I usually arrive just as they open and get the room all to myself.

Of the new inventory normally available there I'll peruse the Martin and Breedlove choices. GC carried no other contenders for my ear until somewhat recently when they brought in some Rainsongs. I've added them to my must-play list. I believe I've narrowed down the lot to the Rainsong for overall sound, performance and sustainability. Now I just have to remember the model number. For the life of me I don't know why all builders don't give them simple designators like Taylor does now and Martin used to. Now they're an alpha-numeric string of characters.

Anyway -

Then, I went to to the classical guitar room. I played a Taylor NS7 for about a half hour. Decent little nylon string guitar but I already have a Yamaha NTS-Somethingorother (see what I mean?) at home.

If I had to order the lot GC offers it would be pretty much the way you stacked it above, with the addition of the Breedlove concert using Myrtle B/S at the top of the heap for wood guitars. I don't know the model number. I never bother looking at labels and I leave my reading glasses in the car. If I'm struck curious enough to know label info I'll ask. That's usually when I'm contemplating ownership. It passes quickly, though.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:10 PM

I would never judge any guitar model by the example I played in a GC. I just wouldn't.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I did my monthly GC pilgrimage yesterday but I was a little late. The hi-end room was full of lo-end players. No room for me to add to it. I usually arrive just as they open and get the room all to myself.

Of the new inventory normally available there I'll peruse the Martin and Breedlove choices. GC carried no other contenders for my ear until somewhat recently when they brought in some Rainsongs. I've added them to my must-play list. I believe I've narrowed down the lot to the Rainsong for overall sound, performance and sustainability. Now I just have to remember the model number. For the life of me I don't know why all builders don't give them simple designators like Taylor does now and Martin used to. Now they're an alpha-numeric string of characters.

Anyway -

Then, I went to to the classical guitar room. I played a Taylor NS7 for about a half hour. Decent little nylon string guitar but I already have a Yamaha NTS-Somethingorother (see what I mean?) at home.

If I had to order the lot GC offers it would be pretty much the way you stacked it above, with the addition of the Breedlove concert using Myrtle B/S at the top of the heap for wood guitars. I don't know the model number. I never bother looking at labels and I leave my reading glasses in the car. If I'm struck curious enough to know label info I'll ask. That's usually when I'm contemplating ownership. It passes quickly, though.
There is an advantage to knowing which model or wood combination and also if it is one of the high end American made offerings. Then all you have to do is peek in the sound-hole and ask a few Q's and then make a choice. Whether or not you are in a G.C. or small shop, try to know the origin of the woods, and mfg can help in buyer confidence.
peace!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion