The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 AM

My prior post was Martin vs Gibson but this thread is about guitars not being well cared for at G.C.. They would go broke changing strings, so they do a couple each day until they start a new cycle, (high end room guitars). Most novice players hear a guitar with dirty strings and just put it down in disappointment and find a sub $500 guitar with new strings to be a better sound and put their money on that one. It would be a good idea for them to have any employee to change strings weekly on every high end guitar until they sell. I believe they would sell more and have a higher turnover on their pricey models.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

OP- Be sure to play the new standard D-18 and HD-28V side-by-side to compare neck profiles and sound. They're braced the same with different back-and-sides.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
My prior post was Martin vs Gibson but this thread is about guitars not being well cared for at G.C.. They would go broke changing strings, so they do a couple each day until they start a new cycle, (high end room guitars). Most novice players hear a guitar with dirty strings and just put it down in disappointment and find a sub $500 guitar with new strings to be a better sound and put their money on that one. It would be a good idea for them to have any employee to change strings weekly on every high end guitar until they sell. I believe they would sell more and have a higher turnover on their pricey models.
I was thinking the same when I was there. I have to say they had a lot of employees working on a quiet Friday afternoon too -- it's not like the manpower isn't there.

I wonder how big a part of what they do is acoustic guitar sales; high end stuff in particular. I suspect they make more money off of DJ equipment, electric guitars, and amps, so maybe that's why it's not a priority? Just speculating. You're right of course; GC would be a better place to buy acoustics if they made sure the strings were decent -- they don't have to be brand new, just not dead.

The guys who work there are nice, but I get the feeling that acoustics are a little bit of an afterthought.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
The smartest move Taylor guitars ever made was to use Elixir strings on their guitars. whether you like Elixir strings or not when the guitar is in the showroom for six months the Taylors will sound better than the Martins and the Gibsons because those strings will be dead while the elixir still have some life!
Dead Elixers are actually worse than dead non-coated strings. My local GC has proven that theory to be correct time and again.

It got so bad they removed the door! They were short on doors!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Default A brief visit to the GC high end room

I must be spoiled in Orange County. The Fountain Valley GC has a nice high-end room with usually a fantastic selection to pick from. Maybe I happened to luck out, but when I go on Thurs mornings (i dont start at my office until 1pm those days), i have never had an issue with old/dirty strings.

Martin D-35
Taylor 314ce
Fender Classic Series 60's
Epi LP Tribute Plus
Vox AC15
Vox VT40+
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by existence View Post
I was thinking the same when I was there. I have to say they had a lot of employees working on a quiet Friday afternoon too -- it's not like the manpower isn't there.

I wonder how big a part of what they do is acoustic guitar sales; high end stuff in particular. I suspect they make more money off of DJ equipment, electric guitars, and amps, so maybe that's why it's not a priority? Just speculating. You're right of course; GC would be a better place to buy acoustics if they made sure the strings were decent -- they don't have to be brand new, just not dead.

The guys who work there are nice, but I get the feeling that acoustics are a little bit of an afterthought.
If you ask them for new strings for a higher end guitar with obviously dead ones on it, they will change them for you...
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 AM

Existence,
I had the same experience when I was looking to buy an HD-28. I discovered I much preferred the HD-28V because to me it sounded better. I found out why. The HD-28V has the forward shifted bracing as the real vintage guitars from back in the day. The straight HD-28 does not have the forward shifted bracing.

By the way I have to add, back in 2010 or so I purchased a 2007 Gibson J-45TV. My Martin doesn't get played much anymore. The J-45TV is fantastic; just like the one fellow said, don't give up on the J-45 just yet. Try the J-45 True Vintage (TV).

Michael

Last edited by Mking; 08-01-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
OP- Be sure to play the new standard D-18 and HD-28V side-by-side to compare neck profiles and sound. They're braced the same with different back-and-sides.
And don't forget about the D-18GE. I still remember the first time I played one more than ten years ago. It was just stunning. Brighter than the 28s, of course, but bright and meaty with a low end like a Steinway.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
If you ask them for new strings for a higher end guitar with obviously dead ones on it, they will change them for you...
Good point, but I wasn't actually going to buy one right then and there, so I would have felt a little bad about making requests like that only to walk out the door ten minutes later.

Reminds me of the time I saw a used Guild on Craigslist. I drove over to the shop to try it out and the strings were dead. The guy offered to change them for me, so I said sure. I was ready to buy the guitar if I liked it. He did, and I wasn't too impressed. It was good, but didn't move me. When he realized I wasn't going to buy it I got the iciest most offended stare of all time. Horrible customer service that -- as if doing what you ought to have done anyways somehow obligated me to purchase, heh.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by existence View Post
Reminds me of the time I saw a used Guild on Craigslist. I drove over to the shop to try it out and the strings were dead. The guy offered to change them for me, so I said sure. I was ready to buy the guitar if I liked it. He did, and I wasn't too impressed. It was good, but didn't move me. When he realized I wasn't going to buy it I got the iciest most offended stare of all time. Horrible customer service that -- as if doing what you ought to have done anyways somehow obligated me to purchase, heh.
haha, yes, I can see how that would be awkward. Definitely easier to walk away from a GC, but I can understand the hesitation. You could approach them by saying "I'm not ready to buy one today, but I am serious about buying a guitar in the next month or so." Otherwise, you could order one to the store. Those tend to have newer strings, and then no one feels guilty or weird if you want to return it right then and there. Trying to get creative for you Have fun, and let us know which one you settle on!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
Hmm....and its the other way around for me. Not a fan of Martin but I can't get myself out of the Gibson corner.

Different strokes...
i know that many confuse the Gibson J models with dreradnoughts but they are simply not comparable ... apples and pears......or should that be oranges.

Last edited by Guest316; 08-02-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:45 PM

I would encourage you to check out the Martin MMV model. It's a GC exclusive, but a "real deal" Martin with IMO a fabulous tone.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
I hear ya, I do try Martin when I go and I do mean try - positive attitude, open mind, play them at length but somehow my ears just don't get the Martin sound. Maybe one day I'll find one...
We visited the Martin factory right after I bought my first guitar and when I wanted high end guitar, I wanted a Martin. Couldn't find one I loved in my price range. 3 years later I finally did: a cherry dread. Yours is out there.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I sold some gear at Guitar Center today,
I hope you got a good price - GC is infamous for low-balling
Old 08-02-2015, 05:50 AM

Default My .02 on this...

JMHO, If you're looking a nice HD-28 or HD-28V dreadnought, you owe it to yourself before spending that much to look at other builders, if you are able, depending upon the shops in your area. Many small builders are making "pre-war Martins" better than Martin does "pre-war Martin". I get that a purchase like this is highly subjective, and Martin brand loyalty is strong. However, there are other options for that specific style of dread. Try a Collings D2H, a Huss and Dalton TDR-Custom, a Bourgeois D, and a Santa Cruz DPW or Vintage Artist.

Most of these guitars are very close to varying degrees to the "pre-war Martin HD-28 "template", if you will.... IRW back and sides, Adirondack top, forward bracing, open back Waverlys, etc. There's a lot of really, really, nice guitars out there being built by small shops. I'm not being critical of Martin- I've owned several, including an HD-28, but there are other options for that specific style of acoustic! If you include used guitars also in your search, most all of them can be had in the 2.5-4K range. Hey, checking them all out is half the fun!

Last edited by DLLawrence; 08-02-2015 at 05:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion