The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 03:13 PM

I can't think of a reason not to take it. My guitars go everywhere, besides my homes on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, they go camping and traveling with me. The humidity in the cradle of the Great Lakes is more than manageable.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:35 PM
Guest 1928

I would take the guitar you want to play.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:39 PM

This is what carbon fiber guitars are made for.

So, use it as an excuse to buy yourself a nice Composite Acoustics.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:42 PM

I bought a cabin in the mountains so I could play guitar on the front porch. I can't imagine not bringing the guitar I wanted to play.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM

I'd go to this cottage with an expensive guitar. I'd go to this cottage with a cheap guitar. Heck I'd settle for going with nothing but a spool of dental floss, a dozen tongue depressors, and a used sardine tin.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Consider other things besides the climate - leaving the guitar in the cottage while you are doing things during the day or evening - is it secure? What about campfires - having one?
I bring my old Epi and don't worry if it's locked up in my truck's cab for a few hours, or subject to the campfire's heat on a chilly evening. For the couple of hours (at most) I'll be playing, it really doesn't matter.
I'm not worried about security there. It's a nice place... as secure as a house would be.

I think I'll bring the Jim Dandy guitar for sure for playing out by the fire. As far as another guitar.. still debating on bringing a Taylor. We've rented a speedboat and tube and wakeboard and will have 4 teenagers to entertain, so I'm not sure it's worth bringing the Taylor for what could be limited playtime. I think if I was going to have more time to play I'd pack the Taylor for sure.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:07 PM

Speedboat, tube, wakeboard, teenagers and probably a host of other activities.....I would leave the guitar at home.
Take a break, enjoy the time without worrying about getting in some play time.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:07 PM

Sure, take them with you...

If you don't mind have a few metal strings sitting in a brown puddle the next morning.

I usually leave my guitars in a well humidified case with a plexi top so I can look at it.

I usually only play other people's guitars, I suggest you do the same if you have any heart.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 PM
G625 mistral-k

We camp on Cap Cod every summer and over the years we have taken a Collings, Bourgeois, & Taylor with us each year. Sure, we take the Rainsong too, but since both us play, this year, we take we will take either the SJ Coco/Adi or the SJ Madi/Italian.

We are simply focused on enjoying the guitar, not the irrational what if's......

take the guitar, have fun, smile lots...
Old 08-01-2015, 01:26 AM

I learned many years ago, thankfully not by experience, that DEET will basically melt any plastic or similar finish. Photographers are very aware of this. However, you can use insect repellent that contains permethrin. It will not harm plastic obr other finishes. You can spray it on clothing and it wil last through several washings.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 AM

We're on a 2-month rv road trip right now. Actually about halfway through. I couldn't have imagined not taking a Martin along for that long. The OM goes pretty much everywhere I do, unless flying is involved. I let others play it.

It seems to like it! I have some case queen guitars at home, but even at home, the OM is still my favorite. Maybe the most-played-without-being-abused guitar is the one that sounds the best over time. Dunno.

My vote is to play the guitar.

Richard
Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 AM

I guess the term 'to cottage' has a different meaning in the States than in the UK....
Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 AM

I just got back from a few week stay ocean front in Maine. I brought my new CEO-7 and a newish Waterloo with me and played them every night for at least an hour. Do it. You'll only enhance your time away.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 AM

The guitar i most to take to the cottage is a relatively pricey Banner LG-2. But it looks and feels like it belongs at the cottage so i have no issue with it !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM

I have my Doerr D35 with me at my cottage near Georian Bay right now. They are made to be played.

Doerr/Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion