The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Taking expensive guitars to cottage?

Renting a cottage next week near Huntsville ontario. Waterfront.

Wondering what you guys think about bringing an expensive all solid wood guitar with me. Will the humidity be an issue for a one week trip? I'm not talking about taking it out on the boat or anything ...just playing in the cottage or on the deck.

Was thinking if bringing my hd28v, gibson hummingbird or maybe taylor 614ce.

The cottage has no ac.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_E View Post
Will the humidity be an issue for a one week trip? I'm not talking about taking it out on the boat or anything ...just playing in the cottage or on the deck.
Don't fret it (no pun). Take your guitar and play it, She'd tell you so too if she could talk.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 PM

+1 on taking a nice guitar

+1000000000000000000000 on being careful about bug spray
Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
One word of warning though (my own sad story from years ago with my Gibson AJ)..... Do NOT apply any bug spray to your body or clothing when playing the guitar. The Taylor should be fine as my old 612C never had the problem but the Gibson has a Nitro finish and I bet the Martin is too. Bug spray will eat away at the finish and you will not be a happy camper if that happens.
Excellent point. For that reason alone, James, I'd suggest you take your Taylor. With its UV-cured polyester finish, which is basically inert when compared to nitrocellulose, it will be impervious to finish damage inflicted by DEET-slathered arms. DEET melts nitrocellulose lacquer - it's really ghastly what it does, frankly - but has no effect on polyester.

Of course, I realize that there are NO biting insects in Canada. But in case you get any vicious U.S. insects crossing the border and heading your way, it's best to be prepared. So take the DEET and take the Taylor, and leave the other guitars at home.

As for the humidity at the lake, unless you actually take the guitar out on the water and use it for a paddle, it's not going to be an issue. I'm originally from Kansas City, where in the summer it's not uncommon to have 100˚ temperatures with 100% humidity.

My instruments always did fine. The main toll is on the strings, and those are easily replaced.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 PM

I deem it far more risky leaving it alone in the cottage while out doing stuff than having it / playing it in the described conditions.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
+1 on taking a nice guitar

+1000000000000000000000 on being careful about bug spray
I have great success keeping the flying bugs away by using a portable battery powered fan. O2 Cool is the brand/model I like.

have fun!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Guest4562

Take it. I took a cheapo guitar on a recent cruise only because I had to fly. Other than that, any place to which I can carry my good guitar, I'm taking it.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi James,
We obsess overly over the issues of climate. Take a good guitar, for goodness' sake.

Play it. Be happy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM

Guitars are meant to be taken with you and played. Guitars aren't meant to be worried about, kept in glass cases and admired. If you're too worried about taking a guitar with you because it's too expensive, or you handle it with kid gloves, worry about pick scratches, etc., I'd say you're holding yourself back and would sell it and buy a guitar you'd actually take with you and play.

Last edited by Guest316; 07-31-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Please do not mask profanity or try to defeat the forum censors :-)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM

Huntsville in August should be about as perfect climatic conditions for a high end guitar as it gets, they should be happy and sound their best. But mosquitoes may be an issue and DEET works to keep them away but as mentioned above is a solvent. Ideally would be an space that can be enclosed by mosquito netting. Also, they are most active at dusk and dawn so avoid those times for playing outside, and wearing a light long sleeved cotton shirt or a hoodie and pants helps a lot. Then just dab a bit of DEET on your face wash your hands, and you should be set to play at any time of the day.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 PM

I just got back from a week at a cabin in Colorado. At 9,300 ft. elevation.

I took my Rainsong.

Tom
Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I have been babying mine but recently decided no more. If I want to strum my OM hard ill do that too.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi James,
We obsess overly over the issues of climate. Take a good guitar, for goodness' sake.
Play it. Be happy.
Well said!

Plus 1
Old 07-31-2015, 02:01 PM

Consider other things besides the climate - leaving the guitar in the cottage while you are doing things during the day or evening - is it secure? What about campfires - having one?
I bring my old Epi and don't worry if it's locked up in my truck's cab for a few hours, or subject to the campfire's heat on a chilly evening. For the couple of hours (at most) I'll be playing, it really doesn't matter.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-31-2015, 02:24 PM

Take the guitar. I spent many summers just south of Huntsville on Lake of Bays with my best and favourite guitar, and was always glad I did. The only new risks To be careful of iare banging it on the door going outside and inside, sparks from them fire, and navigating your way back inside after a few sodasat night. You are going to have an awesome time, enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion