The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 12:14 PM

Just remember this... "Yeah, I saw those guys at this photography show and they kind of sucked."

If you can't be prepared, don't do it.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarkow View Post
Just remember this... "Yeah, I saw those guys at this photography show and they kind of sucked."

If you can't be prepared, don't do it.
well said.
thank you!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Only I play out;
That would explain why they don't care . . . they have nothing to lose.

You, on the other hand . . . .

Perhaps the simplest solution is only for the two of THEM to do this, and for you not to participate?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

hmm. Some thoughts. Altho it looks like you've got this figured out.

A regular jam buddy and I are doing a freebie gig tomorrow (Saturday). We’re supporting our local natural food co-op for a 3-hour annual outdoor event. We’re both co-op members and love this community resource, want to see it succeed. For commercial venues, community festivals, private parties, etc. I expect to get paid.

In terms of your actual question, I gonna weasel out a bit and say it depends on the players, depends on the material, depends on the gig. We haven’t played a ton together other than lotsa jamming as part of a trio on a big range of material - Miles Davis to Roger Miller to The Police - plus one holiday concert at a local elementary school with a bigger band. We’ll get a short practice in tonight to focus on songs, but even if we didn’t I think we’d be fine. We’ve both got plenty of experience. Well, we're both old. ;-} He’s an advanced player, teaches jazz guitar, marinated in theory and composition, excellent on lead; doesn’t sing much. I’m more of a self- & ear-taught, intuitive type but usually able to just play along with most of what folks bring; also, I’m more of a song singer/player type who can deliver hours of swing, folk, ragtime, blues, early country numbers – lotsa standard song structures in there. So, we’ll get this sorted out tonight, but I think some of the gig will be just me holding down song structure/bass lines/rhythm/vocal while he comps along and takes most of the breaks. And then other material could be songs we’ve already jammed together on. If he'll sing, I can add harmony. I think we're good, but I wouldn't leap into a 3-hour gig like this with just anyone. Maybe I'd do as a solo thing.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Guest 1511

Your main issue is that you need to hook up with people of a like mind to you. This issue will rise again. Find more serious musicians. Your other mates aren't as serious as you are and there's nothing wrong with that, but it isn't working out for you in what you wish to do.

When you are in public and playing, those attending don't know if you're being paid or not. They will form an impression of you and the others based on the quality of your performance. They will listen, or at least hear the performance. This gig will be like advertising and advertising needs to be of high quality at all times or it will work against you.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I know a blues veteran that played all the time with different people, but the nature of the repertoire and level of musicianship was so high they sounded like what they were, pros. One gig, the rhythm section was so locked in, I asked the bass player how long he had been playing with the drummer. Answer was it was their first gig.

So at that level all is well, but for the rest of us not so much. The people who don't know will assume you are getting paid, and you just aren't very good. Not the public persona you want to put forward.

If I were going to play a gallery for free, I'd ask for a free painting. Quid pro quo, no?

I'm not against playing for free. The absolute most fun we had as a band were some free gigs we did at some very interesting venues for people who really appreciated us. The worst free gig was for the best friend of our keyboard player, who had everyone but his friend eating in the kitchen at his wedding instead of paying $60 each for us to be treated as an actual guest.
AND we got treated like the hired help.

I bailed on a freebie this week, when after multiple hours of rehearsal over the course of the last month, the rules regarding what I could play changed on three days notice, and I did not feel I wanted to be told exactly what I could and couldn't play, and suck acquiescing to the new rules.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 07-31-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

While I completely agree with everyone who has stated here how important preparation is, for the sake of those considering getting on a stage for the first time, I think it is also important to not put off "doing it" because of fear things will not be perfect.

It will never be perfect. Sometimes one just needs to do it.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Am I overthinking it to exclude myself from this 'gig as a favor' because of personal commitment to providing rehearsed and planned entertainment?
No. People who want to put on a half-donkeyed show are welcome to do so without my participation. If they want my participation, a bit of preparation - minimum, charts and one rehearsal - is required.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Guest4562

Pay, no-pay has nothing to do with it. If you take the gig, you do it right or you don't do it.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:05 PM

A 'jam group' is not a gigging group, its a bunch of players getting together for fun. As the other 2 in this trio do not gig, they don't see this.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM

Let's be honest, this is not going to work out. I see the resentment already. Someone has taken charge and made a decision. Someone else has taken offence. Blow up it now and go back to just being buddies or walk away.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Let's be honest, this is not going to work out. I see the resentment already. Someone has taken charge and made a decision. Someone else has taken offence. Blow up it now and go back to just being buddies or walk away.
There is no offense taken by anyone;
forgive my lack of clarity on that point.

No risk to buddy status at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 PM

Favour or no , if you're not prepared , don't play.The last thing you want is someone who "may " have a paying gig for you seeing a Cluster @#$% of a performance. Word quickly spreads.
informal gigs (jams) are great for getting up and having a blast with other players but no one wants to hear bad music at any function. You can tune out good playing but the bad noise goes right thru your head
Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM

Tell detractor you don't want to risk being embarrassed and humiliated by being unprepared. Period. That's your 'fee' for doing the gig.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM

I'm going to take a different tact here.
OP, you must have a lot of friends. You may truely feel that there are no hard feelings but you can't foresee the future.
Look, you like jamming with these guys you say you 'love' but you're planning to leave 'em in the lurch when playing music you've already said you pretty much carry. They will either not do it and miss the shared experience or soldier on without you. You have raised the practice issue so you can't just make up an unrelated excuse. All for your heightened sense (and so many others on here) of music business.
I sound harsh, I don't mean to be, but for myself I wish I had been inclusive rather than exclusive about my music.
You may lose and miss your friendly jam come some day.
Kirk
Bought new in 1978
2010 Breedlove Passport "A" tuned

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion