The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Check out the Orpheum series. Beautiful, well made, vintage vibe.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Don't believe Guild ever worked with cedar on steel strings. Tops will be spruce or mahogany.

You don't mention what or how you play and that will be the biggest determining factor in which models to seek out.
I'm really looking for a dread that has good bass behind the notes. I play more fingerstyle.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
For all info on Guild head on over to Let's Talk Guild. It sometimes takes awhile to join but you can get a lot of information searching the existing threads and the knowledge on that forum about Guilds is amazing. There are several members who are also members here on AGF do you should get some more suggestions here. However if you can give us more information regarding the type of guitar you'd like and price range we can make more informed suggestions. I will say I've had three D55s (the first two were stolen...don't ask!) and my most recent one is an '83. They are great guitars but the older ones are physically heavy (to the point that I don't play mine much anymore because I stand when I perform and my shoulder can't take it...age strikes back!).

Recently (when Fender owned Guild) they started making Guild GAD guitars, solid wood, made in China. I've got a 2008 Guild GAD 30R which is spruce over rosewood which sounds and plays very nice, not like a US made Guild but the GADS really hold their own. Here are two shots of my D55 and GAD 30R

My experience is much like Joan's ^^^. I still have a Guild GAD30R also, and it's a very nice guitar, just as Joan describes. Maybe not quite up to an American-made Guild F30R, but sill a very good sounding OM-size guitar. I had to do some tweaking on the nut and saddle and trussrod to adjust playability, but this is pretty typical for most guitars, anyway.

- Glenn
Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Don't worry about which factory the guitar was built in as long as it was in the USA.

My favs are the D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee, D-50 Bluegrass Special, and the D-55.

However, if it's a built in the USA Guild, you're gonna love it.

Bill
Old 07-22-2015, 10:06 AM

I had a Corona built Guild-F512 and it was great sounding and very well built!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Check out the Orpheum series. Beautiful, well made, vintage vibe.
Definitely best guitar I ever played, but not many made and even fewer on the market ...
Old 07-22-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Don't worry about which factory the guitar was built in as long as it was in the USA.

My favs are the D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee, D-50 Bluegrass Special, and the D-55.

However, if it's a built in the USA Guild, you're gonna love it.

Bill
Thanks. I've been looking at the D-50 and D-55. Anyone know what a fair price is for those used?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbum View Post
Thanks. I've been looking at the D-50 and D-55. Anyone know what a fair price is for those used?
The price you are willing to pay will depend to a large extent on the condition you are willing to accept. Older guitars with lots of wear and potential structural flaws that need expensive repairs can probably be had for <1K. For newer mint ones it would also depend on the model and condition, where D55 > D50 BGS > D50 STD. With some luck and patience you might be able to score a recent/decent D55 just south of 2K.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
The price you are willing to pay will depend to a large extent on the condition you are willing to accept. Older guitars with lots of wear and potential structural flaws that need expensive repairs can probably be had for <1K. For newer mint ones it would also depend on the model and condition, where D55 > D50 BGS > D50 STD. With some luck and patience you might be able to score a recent/decent D55 just south of 2K.
I scored a new D55, but it had finish checks on the top, for $1300. Only a few, and they can only be seen if you look at the right angle in the right light. I think I got lucky though because I've yet to see a deal like that since. I don't care if it has finish checks... it sounds amazing. In my mind, it's a blend of both Taylor and Martin. It has qualities of each, yet has its own sound which is outstanding.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-22-2015, 04:36 PM

All of my 3 Guilds for less than $2,100.

GAD50($450) and F-50($790).

D50 Bluegrass Special ($822)

Old 08-02-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbum View Post
I'm really looking for a dread that has good bass behind the notes. I play more fingerstyle.
You need to look out for a used DV-52 or one of their fancier looking relatives DV-62/72/74.

They come up quite often on ebay, at often reasonable prices, and are very highly regarded guitars amongst those within the LTG community. I have played a few, and they are a bargain compared to Martin D28/35 models.

I Happen to own a very rare Guild JV-52 Jumbo, of which they only made 28, and it is stunning!

Guilds on the whole are known for their string to string balance, clarity, and projection. Mine for a big 17" wide, and 5" deep Guitar, does it all, from strumming to flatpicking, right through to fingerpicking.

It doesn`t seem to matter which U.S. factory they are built in, as they all seem to sound good. Although some of the 70/80`s Westerly models are built on the heavy side.

Good luck with your hunt.

Steve.
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10 CEQ.
2014 Faith PJE Signature Neptune, London Plane Tree (Prototype).
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.

Last edited by frenchie; 08-02-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:15 AM

For many years, Guild was my notion of what a great guitar should be; particularly a great 12-string. I am very much looking forward to Guild's re-entry into the marketplace as a builder of American-made guitars.

With that said, I am beginning to feel like the old man awaiting delivery of a sandwich in the Jimmy John's commercial--"What took you so long?"

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion