The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM

Default What should I look for in a Guild?

Seeing as I can't find any solid wood Guild's locally, I've decided to take a look around for Guild's used online.

What are the "good" guild's or ones to keep an eye out for? The company seems to have had a lot of changes over the years and there are all sorts of different models out there from different factories I believe. I'm just trying to figure out what to look for.

Personally I like spruce over rosewood or cedar over rosewood.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Don't believe Guild ever worked with cedar on steel strings. Tops will be spruce or mahogany.

You don't mention what or how you play and that will be the biggest determining factor in which models to seek out.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbum View Post
Seeing as I can't find any solid wood Guild's locally, I've decided to take a look around for Guild's used online.

What are the "good" guild's or ones to keep an eye out for? The company seems to have had a lot of changes over the years and there are all sorts of different models out there from different factories I believe. I'm just trying to figure out what to look for.

Find a Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special!

Adirondack over Indian Rosewood; sounds and looks great!

I had one and it was easily among the best sounding guitars I've ever owned, but the Guild headstock and neck didn't work for me so I sold it.

But they can be found at amazingly good prices.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2015, 06:40 PM

I'm not a Guild expert but I really like their guitars.
Originally built in Hoboken.
Moved to Westerly.
Bought by Fender.
Moved from Westerly in 2001 to Corona.
Moved from Corona in 2004 to Tacoma.
Moved from Tacoma in 2008 to New Hartford.
Sold by Fender to Cordoba and moved in 2014 to Oxnard.
The 'Pre-Fender' Westerly era guitars are highly regarded.
The Corona era 2001-2004 are probably the least desirable ( but still good!)
The New Hartford 2004-2014 guitars are also very highly regarded.
All Guild models are great but I think their jumbo guitars are truly outstanding, both 12 and 6 string.
The Guild F-50R is the rosewood jumbo 6 string.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbum View Post

For all info on Guild head on over to Let's Talk Guild. It sometimes takes awhile to join but you can get a lot of information searching the existing threads and the knowledge on that forum about Guilds is amazing. There are several members who are also members here on AGF do you should get some more suggestions here. However if you can give us more information regarding the type of guitar you'd like and price range we can make more informed suggestions. I will say I've had three D55s (the first two were stolen...don't ask!) and my most recent one is an '83. They are great guitars but the older ones are physically heavy (to the point that I don't play mine much anymore because I stand when I perform and my shoulder can't take it...age strikes back!).

Recently (when Fender owned Guild) they started making Guild GAD guitars, solid wood, made in China. I've got a 2008 Guild GAD 30R which is spruce over rosewood which sounds and plays very nice, not like a US made Guild but the GADS really hold their own. Here are two shots of my D55 and GAD 30R

Last edited by jgmaute; 07-21-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:29 PM

Default Guild

Just about any Pre Fender Guild should be a good guitar. I personally like the arch back D25’s, late 60's to early 70's.

You might also want to post this over on the Lets Talk Guild forum.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

My very first 'real" guitar was a 1967 Guild D-40, bought new at Fullerton Music Co., for $267.32 (including a chip-board case!)...

As much as I loved that guitar while I had it, I do know that one thing to look for is a very noticeable "hump" where the fretboard/neck meets the body... if you play ANYWHERE but in the first 5 frets, intonation will be impossible and the problem is expensive to correct...

I would say anything from the 50's through the late 60's would be your best bet... Guild started doing some "funny stuff" in the early 70's with slightly "bowled" backs (similar to Gibsons of that era), and the backs are all laminate (easier to "mold")... since the 70's, Guild has been bought and sold so many times, it should be on the Exchange...

Until Ren Ferguson began his work with Guild; I know that there have been some very, very nice guitars bearing the Guild name since he has been "the man" there... so, Guilds within the past 3 years or so are probably worth looking at, as well as the old ones.

Since 1979, I have played (and absolutely LOVED!) a Mark Angus handbuild; taken from the template of a Guild F-40, it is an unequivocal gem. Mark built it for me in my "backlash" against dreadnoughts of the time. The F-40, it turns out, was one of, if not the first guitar that Guild produced in the mid-50's... slightly larger than an OM, roughly the size of what many builders would call a Concert Jumbo, or Mini-Jumbo... the F-40 is whisker bigger than those or the Taylor GS shape. Mine is maple and German spruce, but I believe that Guild built them primarily with mahogany and spruce, or rosewood and spruce (the F-50).

So, the F-40 is a great guitar if you find one; Guild also made (makes?) and F-30 model, basically the same shape only a tad smaller... the D-40's and D-50's are nice dreadnoughts. Old Guilds used a "Spanish heel" construction method which gets some flak because a neck reset is nigh on to impossible... but the truth is, taking the fretboard off and putting another board on, with new frets, all planed to the proper geometry, is a pretty sanitary way to go...

Good luck with your search! Please let us know what you find...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Don't believe Guild ever worked with cedar on steel strings. Tops will be spruce or mahogany.

You don't mention what or how you play and that will be the biggest determining factor in which models to seek out.
They did have a cedar topped model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-string-guitar
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-21-2015, 10:49 PM

There are a lot of Guilds to like, but, you're right, they were not in stores much, for the last years. Thanks a LOT, Fender for not marketing the brand !

Guild is known for 12 strings, Jumbos, Dreadnaughts, OM style and plenty of electrics too ! It all depends on what style you want to play and the sound you want. They made arch backed guitars to project better, and weren't shy about using maple to cut through the mix. I would say the tone is not at blue grassy as a Martin, as they aren't as scooped in the mids, but they have had "bluegrass" model guitars off and on for years. They've had all mahogany guitars for long periods of time They make great strummers as well as flat picking or finger picking. I think the newest New Hartford built ones are some of the lightest guitars, and are gaining a pretty good reputation. The 70s-80s I think weighed in a bit heavier, but don't quote me on that.

I seems to be the trend is that you can get a very good instrument for a lot less than some of the popular brands, since many folks have forgotten about them.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the D-50, or a D-55 if you want the blingy inlays on the fretboard. The Fs are also good if you can use a big body, and the mahogany offerings are also good. In short, this is the USA made traditional lineup of guilds, and they're all good, regardless of period or factory location. If I recall, the models are the D-25. D-35, D-37, D45, D-50, D-55 and there might have been a D-60 at one time or another. Any of their guitars with longer model numbers will be Asian built and a lot cheaper, but still not bad in many cases.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default my opinion..

In my opinion the D-55 is a great great guitar. I've played 5 or 6 of them down thru the years and it's one of a handful of guitars that I'd buy on line. They all seem to be good. The other Guilds are more hit or miss. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Since you said solid wood I'll point out that any Guild with an arched back is not all solid. The arched back is laminated. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

All my Guilds are from Westerly. The earlier ones from Hoboken are generally great guitars. Of the more recent Guilds I found the Tacomas to be excellant and available at great prices. Guilds from New Hartford CT were also great but Fender jacked the prices up to the moon and never marketed them. A D55 is a great guitar but not a great value if it cost $3k. I bought my D55 for $900 used. It's taken several years to open up but now it's become a real cannon.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I just got a mid-90's Westerly made DV52, very nice, all solid rosewood dread with ebony fretboard/bridge. Sounds and plays wonderfully and they are very reasonably priced when you can find them. Also a fan of the D40 and D50 bluegrass issue with adirondack tops. I also had one of those molded, laminate arch-backed D-25's that was an awesome sounding guitar, very loud with great projection. I've played a number of the GAD series over the years and find them to be some of the best made asian guitars around, on par with the best that Blueridge, Eastman, etc are producing. Got my eye on a GAD F30R currently...
Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 AM

Like most brands they make some good some bad. My only advice for buying any acoustic guitar is try before you buy or at least if you are buying online make sure they have a trial period then you only risk shipping cost. That's last resort though.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Westerly D55 owner here...

Great guitar...bought new in 90 or 91. Used ones can be had for a good price. Guild seem to have a tough go on the secondary market which is great and not so great depending on which side of the transaction you are on. No plans to sell mine. Very happy with it.

Enjoy the hunt for a good one!...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion