The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM

If this is an "Elderly custom model" does that mean it won't be available from other stores like Guitar Center? I sure would like to play one!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaokemonk View Post
If this is an "Elderly custom model" does that mean it won't be available from other stores like Guitar Center? I sure would like to play one!
Elderly is the only dealer that offers this particular custom, AFAIK.

It's interesting to see what different dealers order. For example, how about a 000-15 in all-koa?

http://davesguitar.com/martin/custom...-koa-12623.asp

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaokemonk View Post
Ted has put together a couple of nice Martin Customs including an 00-15 with tortoise shell binding...http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4...om_00_&_OM.htm
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Not a lot of buzz about this (yet), so here are my first impressions.

What is it?

Everybody knows the 00-15, right? This is not your ordinary 00-15. Perhaps your granddad's 00-17 might be closer.

Take a 1930 00-17:

Add a modern truss rod, belly bridge, hybrid scalloped X-bracing, and replace the slothead with a paddle head, and this is what you get....

2011 12-fret 00-15:

Differences from a standard 00-15:
  • 12 frets clear vs 14
  • Wider nut (1-3/4")
  • Wider spacing at the bridge (2-1/4")
  • Different bracing (hybrid scalloped vs standard A-frame)
  • Fancier case
  • Narrower upper bout and waist
  • Longer body
  • Lower bridge placement
  • Shorter overall length (by about 1/2")

First impressions:
  • Love the vibe
  • Love the feel. The shorter overall length makes if feel like a short-scale in terms of arm position.
  • Hate the Martin strings (tinny sounding)
  • Setup was good out of the box (lower action than Martin shipped in the past)
  • The archtop case (TKL) is a nice upgrade from the usual 15 series
  • The new satin finish is a bit more glossy (less flat) than the old 15 series

I'm going to reserve comments on the tone till I change the strings, but my first impressions are that it seems similar to the standard 00-15 (and, frankly, I was expecting a bit more bass and volume).

The biggest surprise was the bracing. Elderly doesn't specify it on their site, but I was expecting the standard A-frame bracing. The hybrid scalloped bracing forces me to reset my expectations a bit, but I think this will be a keeper.

Why did I get it, you ask?

I (try to) play mostly fingerstyle blues. I love the mellow fundamental tone of a mahogany top. I've zeroed in on the 12-fret 00 body as the most comfortable for me (works great in a recliner). And even though I like Martin's standard 00-15 1-11/16" nut width fine, the wide nut and wide spacing at the bridge are nice and roomy.

And, yeah, it's way cool. Martin hasn't made a production guitar with these features for 80 years or so.

Hello. Can you tell me about the tone now? How does it sound? I just ordered a left handed version from Elderly that will be here in January. I love 00 12-fret guitars and took a gamble with this guitar since I have never actually played it but Im thinking my gamble will play of with this one.

So im curious about tone, volume, voice, etc..

Thank you!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 PM

I have this guitar, I love it but I wish the low e had a little more tension. When i palm mute it, it is really hard for me not to totally deaden the string. I wonder how mediums would work for tension and tone. Haven't tried yet.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Default #oldthreadrevival

Just picked one of these up on Reverb! Didn't even know they existed till I saw it for sale.

Have bought and sold Martin's 00-15M 14fret, a Terz-15M, and a 000-15SM.

Still own a Martin 000-15M 14fret, a '59 Guild M20 (Mah 0 size) and a National M-14, so I'm pretty familiar with the Mahogany Sound and the Martin 15 Series.

I played a Santa Cruz 1929 00 and 000 a few years back and was smitten. Lots of dreaming later I realized I would rather have a few different mahogany guitars than 1 really Primo one. Plus, I play and gig my guitars. Having a 4K guitar on a stand at a gig would make me nervous.

I know that the SC 1929 guitars are really special because of the aged high end mahogany, etc., and realize the Martin 15 Series will have a completely different sonic signature.

Putting that all aside, my love for mahogany, respect for the consistency of Martin guitars, penchant for the 12 fret ethos, and comfort of a 00 body size and shape all comes together with this Elderly Custom Model. The paddle headstock is the crowning feature for me; I change my strings a lot and the slotted headstock of the 000-15SM was not a picnic!

Who else owns one of these? How do you like it? Who had one and sold it through? What did you not like about it?

Can't wait to receive and start bonding with this sweet lil' Tone Tool!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 PM

Wow, talk about a zombie thread with legs. Posted in 2011, revived in 2013 by javi (first and only post), revived again five months ago, and again today.

I have to spec a few more of these.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Great idea Ted! I love what you did with the Martin Spec 15 Series you did recently with 1 & 3/4 nut widths.

I fell in love with the mahogany body 00 12-fret probably 10 years ago at a NAMM show at the Santa Cruz booth. I owned, at the time, a SCGC OM and a SCGC 00. This was before the 1929 Series had been birthed. The model on display was a all mahogany 00 with a paddle headstock! Wow! mahogany binding. Stunning. I just remember they were around 3K if my memory serves me. Out of my league. Over the next year, I found a couple used ones around 2-2.5K.

Eventually Recording King joined the 00 and 000 Revival. Eric S added some mojo. The RK just didn't spark me after playing them, but I bought my first 15 Serirs Martin; A 000-15SM. Loved and play that guitar for a decade, but still pined for a 00.

I believe there is a niche in the market for 00 12-fretters at reasonable, gigging musician prices. I know this Elderly 00 Custom is perfect for me. They must have been popular enough because they are "out of stock", so Stan must have sold through them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion