The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Elderly Custom 12-fret Martin 00-15

Not a lot of buzz about this (yet), so here are my first impressions.

What is it?

Everybody knows the 00-15, right? This is not your ordinary 00-15. Perhaps your granddad's 00-17 might be closer.

Take a 1930 00-17:

Add a modern truss rod, belly bridge, hybrid scalloped X-bracing, and replace the slothead with a paddle head, and this is what you get....

2011 12-fret 00-15:

Differences from a standard 00-15:
  • 12 frets clear vs 14
  • Wider nut (1-3/4")
  • Wider spacing at the bridge (2-1/4")
  • Different bracing (hybrid scalloped vs standard A-frame)
  • Fancier case
  • Narrower upper bout and waist
  • Longer body
  • Lower bridge placement
  • Shorter overall length (by about 1/2")

First impressions:
  • Love the vibe
  • Love the feel. The shorter overall length makes if feel like a short-scale in terms of arm position.
  • Hate the Martin strings (tinny sounding)
  • Setup was good out of the box (lower action than Martin shipped in the past)
  • The archtop case (TKL) is a nice upgrade from the usual 15 series
  • The new satin finish is a bit more glossy (less flat) than the old 15 series

I'm going to reserve comments on the tone till I change the strings, but my first impressions are that it seems similar to the standard 00-15 (and, frankly, I was expecting a bit more bass and volume).

The biggest surprise was the bracing. Elderly doesn't specify it on their site, but I was expecting the standard A-frame bracing. The hybrid scalloped bracing forces me to reset my expectations a bit, but I think this will be a keeper.

Why did I get it, you ask?

I (try to) play mostly fingerstyle blues. I love the mellow fundamental tone of a mahogany top. I've zeroed in on the 12-fret 00 body as the most comfortable for me (works great in a recliner). And even though I like Martin's standard 00-15 1-11/16" nut width fine, the wide nut and wide spacing at the bridge are nice and roomy.

And, yeah, it's way cool. Martin hasn't made a production guitar with these features for 80 years or so.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Wow. Ebay a nice surprise. Should be a winner.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM

But how does it compare to a Blueridge 341?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM

It's a mahogany model 00-15S but with a paddle head rather than a slothead. Same specs as the 000-15M except that it has the following features of a 000-15S - 1-3/4" nut, 2-1/4" string spread at the saddle, and most importantly it's a 12 fretter with a 12 fret body. The 12 fret body is an elongated version of a 14 fret body, with a slightly smaller lower bout. This places the bridge in a slightly different place on the belly of the guitar, emphasizing the bass response. You basically get a bassier 00-15S with OM specs (wider nut and string spaing at the saddle and the long scale), but with the comfort of a 12 fret neck!

The Martin 12 fret 000-15's are AWESOME guitars and I imagine the 00-15S equivalents would be awesome too!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
Very different in terms of tone and feel due to the mahogany top and different neck profile. One could happily own both for variety.

(Personally, I prefer Martin's neck.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoMa View Post
It's a mahogany model 000-15S but with a paddle head rather than a slothead.
Elderly also offers a custom 000-15S, but this is their new 00, not a 000. Think of it as a more ergonomic 000-15S.

(Edit: oops, you already corrected your post, didn't you? )

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM

That's a sweet little blues box you got there. How was the setup from the factory? What kind of strings are you using on it? I love all mahogany guitars especially in that size. I love my trusty 000-15 though.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
That's a sweet little blues box you got there. How was the setup from the factory? What kind of strings are you using on it? I love all mahogany guitars especially in that size. I love my trusty 000-15 though.
I consider it the *perfect* blues box. I was actually considering ordering this as a one-off custom last year, but the price for a one-off was a bit higher than Elderly's price.

Setup was the best I've seen on a new Martin. They used to ship with a pretty high saddle and high action, but they seem to have wised up, and it ships with excellent playability.

It came with Martin's Lifespan strings, so it still has a lot of that "new string" sparkle, which doesn't really suit a blues box. I'm hoping they go dead soon.

FWIW, I have tried just about every mahogany-top Martin: D-15S, 000-15S, 00-15, and a vintage 0-15. I was hoping for something with a little more oomph than the the 00-15, and not quite as much boom at the 000-15S.

I think this may be The One, but I need to let the strings settle down before I know for sure.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I consider it the *perfect* blues box. I was actually considering ordering this as a one-off custom last year, but the price for a one-off was a bit higher than Elderly's price.

Setup was the best I've seen on a new Martin. They used to ship with a pretty high saddle and high action, but they seem to have wised up, and it ships with excellent playability.It came with Martin's Lifespan strings, so it still has a lot of that "new string" sparkle, which doesn't really suit a blues box. I'm hoping they go dead soon.

FWIW, I have tried just about every mahogany-top Martin: D-15S, 000-15S, 00-15, and a vintage 0-15. I was hoping for something with a little more oomph than the the 00-15, and not quite as much boom at the 000-15S.

I think this may be The One, but I need to let the strings settle down before I know for sure.
Awesome! Sounds like a keeper! The factory setup on my 000-15 was also excellent and I have not had to do anything except tweak the truss rod once in the last 4 years. I even use .013 mediums on it sometimes and it handles them quite well.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Not a lot of buzz about this (yet), so here are my first impressions.

What is it?

Everybody knows the 00-15, right? This is not your ordinary 00-15. Perhaps your granddad's 00-17 might be closer.

Take a 1930 00-17:

Add a modern truss rod, belly bridge, hybrid scalloped X-bracing, and replace the slothead with a paddle head, and this is what you get....

2011 12-fret 00-15:

Differences from a standard 00-15:
  • 12 frets clear vs 14
  • Wider nut (1-3/4")
  • Wider spacing at the bridge (2-1/4")
  • Different bracing (hybrid scalloped vs standard A-frame)
  • Fancier case
  • Narrower upper bout and waist
  • Longer body
  • Lower bridge placement
  • Shorter overall length (by about 1/2")

First impressions:
  • Love the vibe
  • Love the feel. The shorter overall length makes if feel like a short-scale in terms of arm position.
  • Hate the Martin strings (tinny sounding)
  • Setup was good out of the box (lower action than Martin shipped in the past)
  • The archtop case (TKL) is a nice upgrade from the usual 15 series
  • The new satin finish is a bit more glossy (less flat) than the old 15 series

I'm going to reserve comments on the tone till I change the strings, but my first impressions are that it seems similar to the standard 00-15 (and, frankly, I was expecting a bit more bass and volume).

The biggest surprise was the bracing. Elderly doesn't specify it on their site, but I was expecting the standard A-frame bracing. The hybrid scalloped bracing forces me to reset my expectations a bit, but I think this will be a keeper.

Why did I get it, you ask?

I (try to) play mostly fingerstyle blues. I love the mellow fundamental tone of a mahogany top. I've zeroed in on the 12-fret 00 body as the most comfortable for me (works great in a recliner). And even though I like Martin's standard 00-15 1-11/16" nut width fine, the wide nut and wide spacing at the bridge are nice and roomy.

And, yeah, it's way cool. Martin hasn't made a production guitar with these features for 80 years or so.
That is a very cool looking Martin. I'd love to try one of those next time I'm at Elderly (in a month or so). Congrtas!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

I Must Have One
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

mccabe's had a very similar custom 00-15 as well as the br-341, and i agree with gitnoob - definitely a different tone. i preferred the sound the spruce top combined with the mahogany, but i could see getting one of these all-mahogany 12 fretters in the future for variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Setup was the best I've seen on a new Martin. They used to ship with a pretty high saddle and high action, but they seem to have wised up, and it ships with excellent playability.

It came with Martin's Lifespan strings, so it still has a lot of that "new string" sparkle, which doesn't really suit a blues box. I'm hoping they go dead soon.

As one who has one of the OM-15s on order from Ted @ LA Guitars, I'm curious as to what a good choice of replacement strings will be to complement this "blues box."
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

oooh,very nice

hum, some Daddario EJ24 set would sound nice on that i bet

thanks for sharing
dkc
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Hey!
One question.....long or short scale?????????
It can be a deal breaker with some folks. Getting closer though!
Jan
Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausgirl View Post
Hey!
One question.....long or short scale?????????
It can be a deal breaker with some folks. Getting closer though!
Jan
Hey, Jan. It's the standard long scale.

And I gotta say, this one should be played before anyone considers buying it. Tonally, it's quite different from the production 15-series due to the different bracing. A bit louder, punchier, boxier. A bit closer to the vintage mahogany tone -- it lacks the warmth of the newer 15's.

Speaking of vintage, you know that vintage 0-15's are short-scale, right? And quite reasonably priced as far as vintage Martins go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion