The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default "Banner" Gibson Question (or Two)

As many of you know, the "Banner" Gibson flattops were made only from 1942-1945. I am saving up to eventually own one, since this is my dream guitar. They're pricey, for sure, but a piece of history as well.

Does anyone know of a reliable online source that could accurately supply me with the following information:

1) How many total J-45 "Banners" were made from 1942-1945? (The number I've seen is around 3200, total.)

2) Of that total, how many have mahogany tops, and how many spruce? (The spruce are much preferred, but Gibson made some hogs as well, since spruce was in demand for wartime planes, munitions, etc.)

Thanks!

Scott M.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I don't remember it having all the answers you seek, but I'd recommend the "Kalamazoo Gals" if you're interested in these guitars. It was written by John Thomas who is a member here and should not be missed.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 PM

Yep, all that info is in here. Highly reccomend it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ls%2Caps%2C243
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I don't remember it having all the answers you seek, but I'd recommend the "Kalamazoo Gals" if you're interested in these guitars. It was written by John Thomas who is a member here and should not be missed.
LOL, Growler; I have a copy of the book right next to me. I actually haven't read it yet, other than skimming. I'll look through it and see.

I suspect the folks at Gibson might also have an answer for this. However, unlike Martin (and that German penchant for record keeping and precision), Gibson's serial numbers were much less organized and orderly.

I'll check the book and let you know.

Thanks!
sm
Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
Yep, all that info is in here. Highly reccomend it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ls%2Caps%2C243
Dan, I'm an English teacher and not very good with numbers. I have the book right here, and there are some logs and charts with numbers on them, but I can't make heads nor tails (confusing, at least for me, with my non-logical brain).

There is mention of the hog tops in at least one year, but I don't see any specific data as to A) total production numbers of J-45 1942-1945, or B) Total of hog vs spruce tops. It might be staring me in the face, and I simply don't know how to read it. This coming from a man who shudders when he clicks on the Excel icon.

sm
Old 08-02-2015, 01:12 AM

Might reach out to John Thomas; author of "Kalamazoo Gals" and user jt1 here on the forum. I am sure that he can answer your questions.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-02-2015, 02:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
Might reach out to John Thomas; author of "Kalamazoo Gals" and user jt1 here on the forum. I am sure that he can answer your questions.
Picasso, thanks; I didn't know he was on AGF. I've already sent him a message via his Kalamazoo Gals website, but will follow up here as well.

Thanks!
Scott M.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:23 AM

My ears were burning!

Yep, I read through 4,400 pages of hand-written, shipping ledgers and counted the Banner Gibsons. The chart on page 156 lists the number of each model shipped each year, with totals at the bottom of each column.

As you'll also see on, for example, 192, the shipping ledgers only list model number and the retailer to whom an instrument is shipped. Because such as top woods are not listed in the ledgers, it's impossible to determine how many J-45s were built with mahogany tops.

I hope that this helps.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
My ears were burning!

Yep, I read through 4,400 pages of hand-written, shipping ledgers and counted the Banner Gibsons. The chart on page 156 lists the number of each model shipped each year, with totals at the bottom of each column.

As you'll also see on, for example, 192, the shipping ledgers only list model number and the retailer to whom an instrument is shipped. Because such as top woods are not listed in the ledgers, it's impossible to determine how many J-45s were built with mahogany tops.

I hope that this helps.
JT, thanks, I'll look again. It's a terrific book, and clearly a labor of love, which exudes from every page.

Great to hear from you! Thanks again.

Scott m.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:55 AM

Scott, right now in the classifieds here on the AGF there is exactly what your looking for that was just posted for sale..........might want to check it out
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=396027
Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 AM

For those of us who play Banner Gibsons, JTs book gave us an appreciation of them that goes beyond sound and feel. It would be hard to find any other guitar that speaks so directly to a specific place and time as those Gibsons. Every time I pick up my guitar, I cannot help but think of those ladies who built and, in my case, whomever it was down the line who caught a very visible screw up and who did his best to cover it up.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words, all! I really appreciate it.

I fell into the story of a lifetime. It has everything I like: history, music, social justice.

The story has traveled way beyond my wildest dreams. Most recently, the Swedish Public Radio program, Pop Och Politik, included Kalamazoo Gals in a series of programs that will be used as podcasts in Swedish public school to correct the gender bias that has been present in school history texts.

Kalamazoo Gals was featured in the first of the 8 hour-long segments. Google translation of the description on the website: "What happens in a society when men go to war and the women stay? Come to Kalamazoo in the US where a bunch of ladies devoted themselves to a secret musical act while the men fought against the Nazis."

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Thanks, Jerry, what a beaut! I bet that thing sounds like a million bucks. I'm actually gonna go the direction very specifically of a J-45 Banner, the legendary "Workhorse," since I'll probably only be able to afford one of these in my lifetime. But thanks for thinking of me!

Appreciate it,
Scott
Old 08-03-2015, 12:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, all! I really appreciate it.

I fell into the story of a lifetime. It has everything I like: history, music, social justice.

The story has traveled way beyond my wildest dreams. Most recently, the Swedish Public Radio program, Pop Och Politik, included Kalamazoo Gals in a series of programs that will be used as podcasts in Swedish public school to correct the gender bias that has been present in school history texts.

Kalamazoo Gals was featured in the first of the 8 hour-long segments. Google translation of the description on the website: "What happens in a society when men go to war and the women stay? Come to Kalamazoo in the US where a bunch of ladies devoted themselves to a secret musical act while the men fought against the Nazis."

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words.
That's terrific, John. Your love and concern -- and deep appreciation -- comes through on every page of your book. It so amazes and pleases me that some of the greatest acoustic instruments of the last century were largely built by women. What a testimony and shining example.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion