The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM

Default Economy Martin 00-18 - Sigma 000MC-1STE?

I really want a little finger picking guitar - but can't really shell out $2200 for a Martin 00-18. Some have suggested the Blueridge Historic series - but they're close to a grand in Canada.... In a local store I found a beat up Sigma GCS-1 - it was the right size and shape - but clearly a starter guitar - all Laminate - it played well but sounded like a small plywood box. It was tattered and covered with kids stickers - no pickup - for $200. Steep for it's condition.

I found these - the Sigma 000MC-1STE - on Canadian Ebay (local enough to me to avoid brokerage fee's).

Has anyone tried one of these? How do they compare to Alvarez's Chinese line?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:59 PM

I have just bought a Sigma 000M-15 online. I have also owned a Signa little Martin clone previously. I sold this on as the short scale gave me cramp in my fretting hand. Although there was nothing wrong with how it sounded etc. the mahogany 000 I am very pleased with I can't believe what a great guitar I have gotten for the money. I have fallen lucky buying it unseen.

They are seriously good guitars for the money. The build quality is excellent. Don't think for a minute it will come close to the Martin equivalent but if you compare it to other guitars in its price bracket I'm sure you will be very pleased.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I have just bought a Sigma 000M-15 online. I have also owned a Signa little Martin clone previously. I sold this on as the short scale gave me cramp in my fretting hand. Although there was nothing wrong with how it sounded etc. the mahogany 000 I am very pleased with I can't believe what a great guitar I have gotten for the money. I have fallen lucky buying it unseen.

They are seriously good guitars for the money. The build quality is excellent. Don't think for a minute it will come close to the Martin equivalent but if you compare it to other guitars in its price bracket I'm sure you will be very pleased.
So true and very well put.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:25 PM

Another option would be one of the Eric Schoenberg designed Recording King guitars. They are superb. There are a bunch on eBay right now.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM

I just played a real Martin 00-18 last week, so hopefully I'll forget all about that!

I'm into quieter guitars these days...I live in a retrofit loft, and like to play

I was looking for a really rare 70's lawsuit Takamine that was a clone of an 00 - 10 called the EF307s - almost impossible to find - then I heard about the Sigma....
Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 PM

I got a Martin OM1GT used off craigslist for $600. Every time I pick it up I am amazed at the sound. Body is all solid wood, neck is Stratabond. It is a hell of a guitar and a steal at $600! It was over $1k new (2011 model).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion