The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Y'know, if I were you, and I hadn't pulled the trigger yet (and yes, this is new and 2.5X your budget)... I'd be sure and test-drive a Martin CEO-8 just in case.

review
Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkybub View Post
I suggest you hunt down...an F-50R from the early '70s. The F-50R was solid rosewood, and were made with what they called "premium" rosewood since they were Guild's flagship model acoustic. Back in those good old days, "premium" meant Brazilian - though you'll hear widely differing opinions on this I'm sure...Overall Guild acoustics sound better and are much cheaper than typically overpriced Gibson guitars IMO. Better bang for your buck than any other American made vintage jumbo out there...
Another vote for the '70s F-50R; college buddy of mine had a '73 that was absolutely thunderous, and TMK Guild had enough back stock that they were able to build with Brazilian through about 1975 - they're out there, but I doubt you'll find anyone crazy/stupid enough to part with theirs for anything close to $2K...
Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Mine is a 1978-79 Greven jumbo - modeled after the gibson , when
gibson was out of business - it has a gibson mastergrade top ( john bought from the defunct Gibson company )
The best jumbo ive ever played not less owned -
If i had to pick between the gibson and the guild - the guild would win hands down -
Im not sure about the cordoba comapny and wether their Jumbo will be worthy -But ill check them out when i see one .
Honestly the original Guild company ( prefender ) would be my top choice .
Old 08-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorman98 View Post
Sweet.. I didn't know Ren and Guild were up in production and shipping out guitars yet.. I can't wait to try one out..
Hi,

Here is a video which makes me think that those Orpheums must be worth a shot (sadly, not a single one in sight on my side of the pond, though). Enjoy:
Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
There's only one jumbo that worth having and that's a J-200 (or J-150 if youre smart)

Its the king of the flat tops for a reason.
How about this one? Assuming it doesn't need to be Maple.

http://eddiesguitars.com/Used-Gibson...J-100-Natural/

1937 Gibson L-50
2006 Gibson Advanced Jumbo
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2019 Eastman T49D/V-AMB
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Rivolta Combinata XVII
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sospel65 View Post
Hi,

Here is a video which makes me think that those Orpheums must be worth a shot (sadly, not a single one in sight on my side of the pond, though).
I don't know where you are located but there is a new one for sale in Germany :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181815582678?_mwBanner=1
Old 08-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I don't think there is really any comparison between those two brands... I am not a fan of Gibson acoustic guitars, in general, but ESPECIALLY those "dead", flat sounding J-200s that everyone seems to rave about...

I HAVE played a couple J-200s that were very good guitars, but they have been far-and-few-between, in my experience. So I'm not saying that you CAN'T find a great sounding J-200, but all I can say is "Good luck and happy hunting"...

In contrast, the Guild Jumbos have a totally different sound and feel... much more to my liking, but I am truly NOT a fan of any of the "arch-back" Guilds... using laminate wood just because it's easier to "form" the arch (as opposed to actually carving the thing, like a great archtop guitar). 70's Guilds were part of a severe downturn in Guild quality, in my opinion.

There are MUCH better Jumbo-style guitars out there... personally, I favor the Concert Jumbo size/shape, what some builders call their "Mini Jumbo" or small jumbo... for over 30 years, I have played my Mark Angus F-40 (#35) that Mark built for me in 1979, pretty much straight off a template of the Guild F-40. Taylor calls theirs the GS (or the Style1 in the R Taylor guitars).

That body size and shape just seems to be the best of both worlds; responsive enough to be a great fingerstyle instrument, yet powerful enough to put out the volume to hang with dreadnoughts...

My favorite of them all is the Goodall Concert Jumbo, with whichever woods you choose... I don't think you can wrong with one, either for stage or personal usage, or both!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-02-2015, 06:01 PM

What about the J-185?
Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 PM

I'd take Guild F-50 over J-200.Don't let the word "Laminate back" fools you.Guild has intentionally build their high-end F-50 for a reason. They want the back to be "one piece arch back without bracing" for fatter and louder sound.It actually cost them more to build it that way than using solid maple, flat back with bracing. Love the look, feel and sounds of my Tacoma build F-50.

free photo upload

uploading pictures
Old 08-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Yeah I would go Guild, Goodall, Gibson J-185 over other Gibson.

But the J-185 was a 50's and the sweetest tone I'd heard, better for fingerstyle country blues. And $5k

The Guild will be more early to mid 70's, completely different tone.

Goodall I played was a very sweet tone as well, can't probably go wrong.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 PM

I have never much liked Martin D style guitars, except in bluegrass music, and the shape holds no sex appeal whatsoever in my book. But I got a J-185TV here on the forum from a member that sold his entire collection of guitars, and it was a most impressive collection, and was indicative of his high taste so I took a chance on his J-185 which he billed as having all that you'd want in a Gibson jumbo. He wasn't kidding. Plus I just like short scale guitars in general and if you want a jumbo body (16 inch at that) with a short scale the choices are limited. But I really enjoy the evenness across the strings that no D I've ever played had. Not being a bluegrasser I find the jumbo body a great alternative in a larger bodied guitar and I find maple has a cut that gets me through when it gets loud with other instruments in an ensemble. A good J-185 is just a great large guitar with that voluptuous shape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion