The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar Pickup Install Link

I've put the main thread in the appropriate section for Amplification.

But because this is where the traffic is and since so many people ask about K&K installation, hopefully the mods will let me leave this here, pointing to the main thread.

K&K Pickup Installation.

I just did another install on Friday and took photos and spent some time sizing & organizing them for the thread, which I thought some folks might find useful.

Dave

Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Thanks for that Dave! That will be an awesome resource for many of us!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:24 PM

Hi Dave. I just looked at the link. Nicely explained. Good of you to take the trouble.

I fitted a K&K in my Martin "America's Guitar" a few months ago. It works great.

I don't remember where I got the instructions now, but I made a jig that positioned all 3 transducers at once.

Have you ever tried one of the (identical looking) JJB pick ups ?

I wonder if they are maybe just as good for half the money ? I put one in my GS Mini, works very well, but nothing to compare it with.

I am thinking of ordering a JJB for my HD28V.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:28 PM

Interesting. When I installed the JJB Prestige 330 (K&K clone), I made a jig to install all three pickups at once.

I used this tutorial (it is for k&k, but works the same for jjb, it was linked to me after purchasing the jjb setup)
http://www.cavalierpickups.com/frettech/kk/index.html

I could see how doing them one at a time gives you more accuracy. That said, both installs using the above method worked out great. I will say that the first time, I positioned all the transducers between the respective strings and it was a bit light on the trebles. The second time, I placed the pickup for the high E as described in the above tutorial and the sound is more balanced. So, I recommend doing that and placing the pickup for the trebles as described.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks to those that have posted links and/or done work to help us with this. I have at least one acoustic that is already drilled for the K&K but I need to buy one and install it yet- I'll refer to these instructions when I do.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 08-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Dave. Was just about to search for such tutorial as I have four of these to do. This is WHY the Internet was invented.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion