The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 03:00 PM

My guitar with bear claw top. As everyone else has said, I don't think the bear claw itself does anything for the sound. And I wouldn't get a guitar just for the look of bear claw. I liked the sound of mine first and I thought the bear claw was just a nice extra.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticking View Post
Does anyone know of a picture of Bear-Claw? I'd really like to see it, it sounds interesting.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

A little bear claw here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=368068

Really adds some character.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Pic of my yet to be delivered guitar,

Bearclaw is an indicator of quality not a culprit.

Last edited by JJI; 08-01-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 PM

Bear Claws, mmmmm!

What about chocolate bismarcks, Boston cream pies or cinnamon buns?

Wow, I just made myself hungry. Better go get some ice cream!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 PM

Well, not to be a contrarian, but I'm not enthralled by bearclaw figure in spruce tops. To me it looks like stretch marks.

But - hey! - more power to those of you who love it. If the presence of bearclaw figure allows guitar manufacturers and hand builders to charge more for those guitars that have it, thus improving their overall profitability, I'm all for it.

I'm just not eager to have any on my own guitars. I have bought a couple of guitars that had some bearclaw in their spruce tops, but I bought those guitars in spite of the bearclaw, not because of it.

To each their own.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-02-2015, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzd View Post
Hi guys, most people here are wrong about bear claw- either slightly wrong or *way off.

IT'S NOT:
1. A rippling of the just longitudinal fibers, it's a rippling of all fibers. (Note fibers claw diagonally through all grains, partly why it looks like a "rip.")

2. Not related to quilting, curling or flaming. (Note the clawing happens sporadically and not in layers or repeating patterns, also partly why it looks like a "rip.")

3. Not necessarily indicative of old-growth (it can happen on young spruce too).

IT IS:
1. Usually indicative of a stiffer board. That's b/c the cross-silk becomes tangled into more of the vertical grain and vice versa; literally the cell walls of the vertical and horizontal fibers become more "stitched" together.

2. Literally is a "rip" (*mainly why it looks like a "rip" lol). Those cell walls have burst and become interwoven.

3. They were ripped open by water; a tree having taken up more water than some of its cells could handle for one reason or another, and the cell walls burst. Either it was closer to a water source, or in a place of pooling, subject to tons of rain, etc.

4. It is more often in older trees than young b/c throughout their life they're more likely to have seen more heavy-rain seasons than their younger bros & sisses. But young trees get it too, esp if they grow near a river.

5. It literally is the water in the wood, making the guitar sound oh-so-slightly-sweeter. More vibrant & deeper. They often even smell better too.

Had a beauty bear claw Taylor last year that I had to sell back... was like cutting of an arm, losing a friend or a woman. That was a tough one to let go. Oh well. 1st-world probs. Glad I ever got to play her; Honeybear.
This is a 13-year-old thread that's been dormant for seven years.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 AM

Claw or no claw doesn't matter. No tonal difference that either I or my clients could pick up either sitka or englemann. Just a wood feature you either like or dislike.If it adds to the ascetics of the overall guitar I will build with it, if not, give me straight sitka.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesWoodstock View Post
I'm looking for a good explanation on how it becomes Bear Claw. why it's good or better etc.

TIA!
Builders will usually agree that no judgement of a piece of wood's tonal excellence can be made from looking at it. It just can't be done.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion