The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Let me third or fourth the Pono love. My 12 fret parlor has slowly become my guitar of choice - the tone not as rich as my big Martin, but the fluid short scale makes for incredible versatility and ease.
Voyage-Air VAOM-02 2012 (not sure/lam hog)
Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Love my Taylor 512ce 12 fret such a great sounding guitar and so comfortable to play.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Yes, love it. They make 12 and 14 fret versions as well, but I think the H13 is their most popular H. BTW, this is loosely based on the 1933-ish Gibson Niick Lucas Special, and there are quite a few interpretations of that guitar, starting with the Gibson. Can't speak for those though.
I've never played one, but every good demo of one of them has always impressed me. Great sounding and versatile guitar.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:09 PM

I have an 814 that love, but two weeks ago I played a Taylor 512ce 12 fret. The GC size, 12 fret buidl, and cedar/mahogany woods produce a tone that is simply amazing. Don't know that I would ever give up my 814, because I have a feeling that it may excel over the 512 for strumming, but the 512 is in my future.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 08-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I think Martin made a 000-28v 12-fret cutaway. Hard find though...
Old 08-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Cool 12 fret

Thank you to all who have responded. I'm leaning toward the Taylor 12 fret ce but who knows what I will find in my search. One thing for sure, it will be a 12 fret--I really like the sound and playability. michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Michael. I have two 12-frets, and they are my favorite acoustics: a Taylor 522ce 12-fret (all mahogany) and a RainSong Shorty SG FLE (carbon fiber). Both with cutaways. These two have become my favorites because of the sound, comfort (both are GC size bodies), and playability.

Either of these would be in your budget. I bought both from Ted at LA Guitar Sales, over the phone. The Shorty was the last of a limited edition, but the standard Shorty would be the same, sans shark fret markers and the abalone rosette.

I have larger and smaller guitars, but this size hits all the right points for me.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:05 AM

Longtime fan of the 12 fretters. I currently have 3 and have had 2 others that I would have kept if I could keep them all and stay within my guitar budget. Although I always buy used guitars, I have never spent more than your budget. I like to consider my broad impression of signature sounds, size of the guitar and tone woods. That gets me the variety I like. As you can see in the signature, I have a 12 fret bourgeois dread, a 12 fret 00 Martin, and a 12 fret little PJ parlor by Santa Cruz. That gives me a little hog top, a spruce/mahogany, and a spruce/rosewood and (to me) signature sounds of bourgeois, Martin and Santa Cruz. Used to have a 12 fret larrivee parlor with maple back and sides. It was bright and lively. With medium strings on it, it never struck me as 'boxy' sounding. Had a schertler dual source in it and it had a wonderful sound plugged in. I most always play with a pick and played the larrivee with one too. That guitar left the house in the trade for the PJ. The most comfortable guitar I have ever owned was my old Martin 00017s. It was a 90s reissue. It was the right size for me, had the most comfortable neck (low profile), and satisfied my love for a hog top. It went to a friend and forum member to help pay for the 0018vs, which is my favorite guitar. Lastly, and maybe more to the point of the OP, I have the Bourgeois with the cutaway. It may be a little bigger than your desired specs, but I find it very comfortable, and the most comfortable dread I have ever played. It is loud enough, and it's full and rich. I even think it is warm. I have a schertler blue stick in this guitar as well. Outstanding match to my ears.

All that, ... Love my guitars and recommend giving any and all a try. Main recommendation is to consider the same selection criteria from your point of view and try as many as you can. I will only ad that I know I cannot identify a guitar with a cutaway v a guitar without a cutaway so for my purposes, the cutaway has practical benefit and no noticeable impact on sound. I am happy with how cutaways look and it's not a factor to me.

Good luck with your search.

Jeff

By the way, if you are near washington, come by and try out a 12 fretter or 2.
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM

Cool 12 fret

Thanks Jeff. Your approach to tone and playability is a good one. I had a 00018 Martin with short scale which I loved and played for 10 years. The V neck started to be a problem for my left wrist. Sold it. Now have a Martin 00015 with low oval neck--works for me. Don't know which guitar is in the cards for me but I thank you for your input. michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion