The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

From every elder in my family over the years...

"If you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all."

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Pay, no-pay has nothing to do with it. If you take the gig, you do it right or you don't do it.
Yuuup !

Musicians are a strange breed.We play because we want/need to. Some play for the money, but most of us will play for nutt'n.

I 'vr been though this quandary - and have decided that I'd rather go out and play (even if it costs me) than to sit at home not playing.

I don't care to play to pubs full of noisy drunks, even if the money is good, and I'd rather play for free to asmall listening audience.

I have one long eastablished trio who find it diffiecult to get together to rehearse, but we know our repertoire so well. I'd rather rehearse anyway.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
While I completely agree with everyone who has stated here how important preparation is, for the sake of those considering getting on a stage for the first time, I think it is also important to not put off "doing it" because of fear things will not be perfect.

It will never be perfect. Sometimes one just needs to do it.
I don't read Amy as being fearful of a lack of perfection; she simply wants her jam group to rehearse to be prepared. What a concept when playing anywhere in public, first gig or 10,000th gig! I think she's showing genuine common sense, not to mention integrity.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 PM

I played in the same band for 35 years........and we practiced for 35 years !~!

Point being we never stopped caring about getting better, and practicing (which we actually enjoyed, my brother had a home studio, so we were plug and play for practice) is how you get better.

Two points, I would never perform "unprepared", money is irrelevant (we practiced for charity events as much as paid jobs), nothing to me is worse than "stinking on stage" because you're not ready, whatever the reason.

Secondly, being blunt, you need new people to play with (hopefully one is not a spouse). A group that is not willing to practice and "be the best you can be" is a group not worth being in, at least that's how I feel. Best of luck..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-01-2015, 06:59 PM

I play for free every Sunday-at church. We get about 20 minutes of practice each week as a group, sometimes a little more. For me, that isn't enough, so I also practice at home 4-5 days ahead. The comment has been made we shouldn't need to practice at all. I say there is no way I am getting in front of people to play without practice. I am sure my "audience" would not be happy if I didn't. I see your situation as the same.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Personal choice. I don't "practice" in public; if people are listening, I want to sound professional, regardless of the circumstances.

I don't often "jam" with others. I guess years of playing in bands satisfied my need to work with a group. I'll ask my wife if a particular song is "ready for playing public," but I already have made that decision... I don't ask her if I don't think it's ready.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 PM

When I started playing in bands, we had to go through a "playing for free" phase to get our name out, and get practice playing live in front of a group of people other than our friends.

This included parties, open mics, opening for other bands that were getting paid (they or the venue provided sound), etc.

Think of it as free advertising.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Personal choice. I don't "practice" in public; if people are listening, I want to sound professional, regardless......

You nailed it right there!

We three have and will continue to enjoy our weekly jams that are just jams for the sake of making music without pressure.

I don't require my jam buddies to be performer buddies also; I already have a duet partner and I am equally happy to play solo.

Happy trails !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 08-02-2015, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
While I completely agree with everyone who has stated here how important preparation is, for the sake of those considering getting on a stage for the first time, I think it is also important to not put off "doing it" because of fear things will not be perfect.

It will never be perfect. Sometimes one just needs to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
I don't read Amy as being fearful of a lack of perfection; she simply wants her jam group to rehearse to be prepared. What a concept when playing anywhere in public, first gig or 10,000th gig! I think she's showing genuine common sense, not to mention integrity.
So sorry I wasn't more clear. My comment was specifically directed toward others who may be following this thread and who have not yet performed live. I don't want folks to put off the joy of performing because they are afraid their performance will not be "perfect".

I'm just concerned this thread pushes a little too far toward what we do being recitals as opposed to performances.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-02-2015, 06:06 AM

Default dilemma

Here's a compromise:

Why not bill yourselves as AMY with _____ and _____? Then play songs that you do best and let them support you. Pick songs that you all have played together, more than once.

In a jam, things are laid back, and you talk between songs. No one feels bad if you make a false start, stop, and then start over, correctly. You can't do these things in front of folks. But, everything else you can. I was in a jam band once. For a couple of years we played regularly at a coffeehouse. Each song was played through regardless of mistakes and we took turns picking them. There were lots of surprises and curve balls and we each grew as players as a result. But we never got any other gigs.

Do you hope to ever play out with your jam buddies? If the answer is "yes", then maybe it's best to take everyone's advice and forego this opportunity. In a practice session, you go back and play sections over, work out arrangements, who does what at what time, and so forth. This is not the sort of stuff that the rest of the world should hear. Jamming occupies that middle ground between practice and performance.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion