The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 AM

Default Approximate cost of cutaway on a Martin custom build?

What's the approximate extra cost for adding a cutaway to a Martin custom build? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
What's the approximate extra cost for adding a cutaway to a Martin custom build? Thanks!
On our custom 00-15 Spruce tops the price difference ended up to be $100, but these were part of a larger run.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:22 AM

Martin might know...
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Martin won't tell you. (I've tried; they'll only work through vendors.) You have to speak with a Martin vendor that orders customs for folks. It might only be $100 or so to add the cutaway, but there also might be a custom uncharge just to have the guitar made in the custom shop. (i.e., a cutaway might add $100 to an already established custom build estimate, but to take a stock factory model like a D-18 and send it through the CS with only that change could end up being more.) The only way to find out for sure is to send your exact specs to a vendor that deals in customs, and ask them for a quote. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Check with a Martin vendor. Most of them will get you a CS quote in less than a day. We have a slew of fine Martin dealers who are also sponsors here. Look at the list of sponsors.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
...It might only be $100 or so to add the cutaway, but there also might be a custom uncharge just to have the guitar made in the custom shop. (i.e., a cutaway might add $100 to an already established custom build estimate, but to take a stock factory model like a D-18 and send it through the CS with only that change could end up being more.)...
It would be more, but the OP was asking about the "extra cost for adding a cutaway to a Martin custom build", which will be around $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Check with a Martin vendor. Most of them will get you a CS quote in less than a day. We have a slew of fine Martin dealers who are also sponsors here. Look at the list of sponsors.
Yes, hopefully one of those guys will chime in.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM

Sorry if I was unclear. Really asking about a Martin guitar built to my specs (not a custom run)...how much more expensive would it be with a cutaway?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry if I was unclear. Really asking about a Martin guitar built to my specs (not a custom run)...how much more expensive would it be with a cutaway?
So you want to place an order for a custom Martin? And you want that to be the only change to a regular Martin guitar?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:16 PM

Always a tough call on figuring the exact price of a certain option on a custom Martin. Taylor makes it a little easier because you are basically picking items off a menu.
If you go to the "Build Your Custom Guitar" page on Martin's website, you can start selecting your options and keep an eye on the "Suggested US Retail Price" on the bottom. Once you add an option, the price increases.
If you choose a basic 14 Fret dreadnaught, then switch to the 14 Fret Dread with Cutaway, the price jumps $275 (retail). The difference in price fluctuates with different models. A little confusing.
Best bet would be to go to the Build Your Custom Guitar page on Martin's website and start plugging in your specs, but keeping track of the price fluctuations at the bottom of the page.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 PM

So what you do is this:

You e-mail or message Ted (see above) with the exact specs you want. Give him a business day or so to get back to you on the pricing.

Ask him to price it both ways, with and without the cutaway.

I've never ordered a Martin from him, but have been very happy with other dealings in the past. He'll treat you right.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
So what you do is this:

You e-mail or message Ted (see above) with the exact specs you want. Give him a business day or so to get back to you on the pricing.

Ask him to price it both ways, with and without the cutaway.

I've never ordered a Martin from him, but have been very happy with other dealings in the past. He'll treat you right.
Agreed. The Martin custom configuration page is pretty inaccurate for options and pricing, in my experience.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
As mentioned, only one way to know for sure what the cost would be.

Whether you're basing it on a particular model with only one change or few changes - or building a guitar completely to your specs - you'll have to give your specs to a Martin dealer who will then communicate with and submit said specs to the Martin Custom Shop. Then you'll wait for the Custom Shop to spec it out with pricing and forward the quote back to the dealer who will forward the quote back to you for approval (or disapproval). The cutaway would be listed as a line item with a price just the same as all the other specs such as bracing, top finish, etc.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You weren't unclear at all. As I said already, all else being equal, about a $100 difference, (your actual cost) maybe $150 depending on the specs, and discount.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion