The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
There are a variety of ways to string a guitar relative to wraps and techniques used and way more opinions than techniques. :-)
Some folks use the same method they were taught 40 years ago and some have discovered other methods that they now like better.
Some players will use more wraps if they change tunings a lot from one song to another and some folks think that it doesn’t make a difference.
Bottom line is if what you are doing is working for you in terms of tuning stability, no slippage, and no string breakage or earlier than usual string fatigue, you are fine. If it takes you a long time to change strings then just know that faster methods are probably available.
Best,
Jayne
Our friend Jayne knows things. Absolutely solid advice above.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Our friend Jayne knows things. Absolutely solid advice above.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Well, JayBee, if I have learned anything from my years of experience with both guitars and this forum, it is that the most appropriate answer to 99% of questions asked here is: “It depends…” LOL!
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-01-2022, 01:02 PM

I just measure up to the next post past the one the string goes in (or the top of headstock for D and G), clip it the string there, and however many winds that is seems to be fine. Usually about 2 winds it what it works out to.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

there is a science behind proper wraps and it is closely related to mechanical hoist cables and drums

virtually all of tuning instability comes from either stick slip in the slots or string slop on the post.

you want as few wraps as possible which is the whole principle of locking tuners.

more is worse.

and never ever bend or knot or loop the strings

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-01-2022, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I've been doing the one over one under method for many years. quick on and easy off.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:21 PM

if it stays on the post doesn't unwind.. you're 100% good.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-01-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think there's a lot of unproductive hocus-pocus attending string installation.

AI think there's no need for all the measuring and cutting:

(1) leave string winder in the drawer
(2) pin string in the bridge.
(3) Pull snug. wrap twice (or so).
(4) Stick end of string in hole and pull snug.
(5) Tune to pitch.
(6) cut off the end.
(7) next string.
This method is the way to go. Fast and perfect for round core strings.
Guitars: Martin 00-28; Martin Custom 00-28K; Martin 000-15M; Martin D-10; Martin D-41; Gibson 1939 L-00; Gibson L-00 Rosewood Studio; Gibson J-35; Fender Stratocaster, Telecaster Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul Junior. Others.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyindia View Post
Wondering when restrining your acoustic, do the number of wrap arounds make a difference in tuning stabiity, tone, etc? I just restrung and accidently only have 1 and a half wraps on the wound strings as I cut too short. Not sure if I should redo it with a new set.

On the unwound strings, if the string doesn't stack on the post evenly (a bit of overlap over/under on one of the windings), will that affect tuning stability or anything?

Not sure if these small details make a significant difference.
Hi ji…
For people who are doing different tunings frequently on the same guitar, wrapping the wound strings down the shaft fully prevents breakage almost entirely (when retuning).

I do one wrap over, and the rest under the hole in the shaft…

Can't tell you why, but it works.

This tip comes from David Wilcox - Remarkable alternate tuner and amazing player (I've seen him retune his guitar over a dozen times in one concert).

I used to lose about one 3rd string a month until I began doing this on his advice, and have not broken a string in over 15 years (and I'm still retuning frequently).

It doesn't matter on my American Strat Plus with locking tuners (pull the string through the hole, clamp the string, tune). I tried locking tuners on an acoustic, but the edge of the hole (rolling the string across the edge of the hole) kept cutting strings off in/at the holes.

I see tuning as a relaxing exercise which I sometimes do with my electric screwdriver & a guitar tuning bit, but most of the time with a hand crank string peg winder.

It's fun to watch different people change strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion